PDA

View Full Version : Question about use of a/c external lights

Captain Smithy
27th Jun 2007, 12:25
Hello folks,

A question from a low-hour student about use of external aircraft lights (i.e. Nav, strobes, landing light etc.). Have tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything...

In our club checklist we use anti-collision lights (strobes) at all times, switching them on just before startup and they don't get switched off until after shutdown. Also, we only use the landing light 1) just before take-off, switching off at 300 feet and 2) when in the circuit. Fair enough.

However, I have noticed that other aircraft, mostly commercial aircraft, use their landing lights much earlier, and seem to have them on even before they are established on the approach. I don't think this is a bad idea - makes you more visible after all.

Is their a set distance from an airfield or a certain altitude at which landing lights must be on for commercial aircraft, or is it down to pilot discretion?

And, for any pilots of GA a/c who may be reading this, when do you use your landing lights?

Also, obviously Nav lights must be used in darkness, but are their any rules about their use in daylight? I have noticed many commercial a/c with Nav lights on even in normal daylight. Again is it down to pilot discretion?

Havern't had a chance to see what LASORS has to say about this so thought I'd ask here.

Cheers

Smithy

Intruder
27th Jun 2007, 13:40
Commercial airplanes' use of lights is significantly different from GA use. In the commercial world, a common SOP is:
Nav lights ON whenever power is on the airplane.
Anti-collision lights ON from engine start (or pushback, if earlier) to shutdown.
Strobes ON when taking the runway for takeoff, until clearing the runway after landing.
Landing lights ON when cleared for takeoff, airborne below 10,000', and until clearing the runway after landing.
ALL lights ON when crossing runways.
Landing and taxi lights as required at night for taxi. Don't blind others with landing lights.

Pub User
27th Jun 2007, 22:29
In my airline we have landing lights on below 10 000', nav lights are on when it's dark, anti-col from just before engine start to after shutdown and strobe on from entering departure runway to vacating arrival runway.

rigpiggy
28th Jun 2007, 01:09
Commercial airplanes' use of lights is significantly different from GA use. In the commercial world, a common SOP is:
Nav lights ON whenever power is on the airplane.
Anti-collision lights ON from engine start (or pushback, if earlier) to shutdown.
Strobes ON when taking the runway for takeoff, until clearing the runway after landing.
Landing lights ON when cleared for takeoff, airborne below 10,000', and until clearing the runway after landing.
ALL lights ON when crossing runways.
Landing and taxi lights as required at night for taxi. Don't blind others with landing lights.

Add
recog/turnoff lights below 10000
landing lights when cleared the approach
taxi light on when cleared to land

reverserunlocked
28th Jun 2007, 14:49
Any SOP's regarding the logo light and wing lights?

BOAC
28th Jun 2007, 15:03
Have tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything...
- Hmm! Must try harder. I gave up after these.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214390&highlight=lights

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=277711&highlight=lights

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260000&highlight=lights

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=198317&highlight=lights

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129455&highlight=lights

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117034&highlight=lights

Captain Smithy
29th Jun 2007, 06:16
Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting to note how it is different for commercial aircraft compared to GA.

Cheers BOAC... will try to use it properly next time.:}

Smithy

Intruder
30th Jun 2007, 21:14
Any SOP's regarding the logo light and wing lights?
Logo light: On at night from Top of Descent, on the ground, and to 10,000' in the climb.
Wing lights: On (day or night) when taking runway, to 10,000' on climb, from Top of Descent until leaving runway. Optional when taxying.

BelArgUSA
30th Jun 2007, 21:36
Of course, airlines and general aviation might be different.
Use as many lights to make yourself visible, although some lights on the ground, when taxiing aircraft are blinding other pilots.
xxx
I quote ICAO recommendations, that landing lights should be on within 30 NM and below 10,000 feet of airport of departure or destination.
xxx
One thing however is, that many countries and airlines have adopted this procedure (or recommendation) as far as landing lights -
Aircraft line-up and wait (position and hold - in USA) LANDING LIGHTS OFF
Aircraft cleared for takeoff and rolling - LANDING LIGHTS ON
xxx
This is to my opinion the best in indicating to an airplane taxiing across an active runway, that the aircraft ready for takeoff at the end, is starting to roll or is waiting for takeoff clearance. I never cross an active runway if a plane is at the other end is waiting with landing lights ON, unless I verify with the tower and/or that aircraft, that I can cross that runway safely...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

rigpiggy
1st Jul 2007, 01:23
Thanks to BOAC from 2005
Straight from the FAA edited for length
USE OF EXTERIOR AIRCRAFT LIGHTS TO MAKE AIRCRAFT MORE CONSPICUOUS.
b. Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating limitations, and flightcrew procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:
(1) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.
(2) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped, yielding, or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.
(3) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a runway.
CAUTION: Flightcrews should consider any adverse effects to safety that illuminating the forward facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots or ground personnel during runway crossings.
(4) Entering the departure runway for takeoff or “position and hold.” When entering a runway either for takeoff, or when taxiing into “position and hold,” flightcrews should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on lights (except for landing lights) that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette. Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.
Page 14 Par 7
9/26/03 AC 120-74A (5) Takeoff. Turn on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received, or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.
NOTE: The SOP of turning on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received is a signal to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the aircraft is moving down the runway for takeoff.

Intruder
1st Jul 2007, 19:00
Note that wing lights and runway turnoff lights (45-deg facing 'taxi' lights) will also help outline the aircraft holding in position on the runway at night. The turnoff lights' beams at a distinct angle to the runway may be one of the more noticeable light patterns...

mcdhu
1st Jul 2007, 20:07
Logo lights A320 family - no choice!

As long as the nav lights are on:
Slats out - Logolights on
Slats in - Logo lights off.

Cheers,
mcdhu

londonmet
2nd Jul 2007, 00:02
One must also consider the bird strike risk below 10000 ft, hence landing light requirements.

L Met