PDA

View Full Version : Iranian attempted hijackers sentenced to Death!

Cyclic Hotline
28th Jun 2001, 19:48
The problem in running a revolutionary regime, is that some of your revolutionaries don't understand that the new society has arrived and utopia has been achieved!

Now the former revolutionaries will not tolerate any kind of dissent - and so the cycle repeats!

Anyway, if this is the penalty for hijacking, anyone know what the penalty for Air-rage might be???

Iran Court Sentences Three Hijackers to Death

TEHRAN, June 28 (Reuters) - Iran's Revolutionary Court has sentenced three men to death for the attempted hijacking of an airliner on a domestic route last year, the semi-official Iran newspaper said on Thursday.

Fifteen other people, mostly family members of the hijackers who had participated in the attempt to hijack the Russian-made Yak 40 airliner, received sentences of 18 months to 10 years, the daily said.

Three members of the crew, including two security guards, were injured during the failed family attempt to take the aircraft from the town of Ahvaz in southwest Iran to the West.

The aircraft later landed safely in the southern port city of Bandar Abbas, its scheduled destination.

None of the convicted defendants were identified in the newspaper report.

Iranian passenger planes have carried security guards as a precaution against hijackings since the 1980s.

Sagey
28th Jun 2001, 19:53
Personally I think it is disgraceful and a total breach of human rights that some nations continue to utilise a barbaric and inhumane form of punishment.

Before I get flamed for saying they did hijack a plane etc, which of course is a serious crime. I am totally anti the death penalty regardless of the crime, and in all honesty it does seem rather to the extreme in this case.

Sagey

G-SKIP
28th Jun 2001, 20:07
I think they got what they deserved, at least the have still got some form system. the UK has gone to the wall and now heading past it, glad i got out

mutt
28th Jun 2001, 20:11
Sorry Sagey, but the punishment is dictated by the Koran. They most certainly do not consider it a barbaric punishment.

Mutt.

Jolly Tall
29th Jun 2001, 02:00
You jest Mutt. I cannot imagine the Koran having a piece laying down the law on aircraft hijacking.

WhatsaLizad?
29th Jun 2001, 02:44
What is more barbaric?

What the Iranians are going to do? or a small island country sentencing a man to a long prison term for shooting an intruder in his house?

Sagey
29th Jun 2001, 05:17
Death penalty every time Lizard.

There is no way in which you can appeal against your sentence once you are dead. Statistics prove that the death penalty does not reduce crimes such as murder.

The hijacking resulted in no death. As someone pointed out, please show me where in the Koran where it says that all hijackers should be executed. Does this mean that all criminals should be sentenced to death??.

If I was on that aircraft, I would not want the hijackers to lose their lives. You can agree with it, you can disagree with it.

And as far as I am concerned, if the UK government brings back Capital punishment we would be legalising murders. Innocent people would have lost their lives.

Sagey

mutt
29th Jun 2001, 07:04
Jolly Tall,

Of course it does, look for the section on Camel Hijacking! :) Its all relative.

Mutt

Do28
29th Jun 2001, 07:58
I have to say that I agree with the use of the death penalty in general terms. I think we can agree that some crimes are so intolerable that we must remove that person from society. We can either warehouse them, exile them, or execute them. Warehousing is is expensive and troublesome and where would you exile someone to? I think the biggest pitfall of execution is the inconsistant application. If it were consistantly applied, I think it would be much more of a deterrant. Call me a brutal murduring savage, but imho swift and certain consequence can cause someone to think twice about thier actions.

Basil
29th Jun 2001, 12:14
A significant number of the 2000 Afghan hijacking are still in the UK with the permission of the Home Secretary.

Boss Raptor
29th Jun 2001, 14:29
Seems fair enough to me - if you cant take the punishment dont do the crime and this is an Islamic state after all!

Freddy Forks
29th Jun 2001, 16:02
Sagey-
I bet you are also all for reinstating criminals into society once they have been "reformed" ie the two 18 year olds who eight years ago murdered a toddler and are now being released with new identities and everything paid for by us mugs.

This debate could go on 4ever.

Lawyerboy
29th Jun 2001, 16:20
Seems an appropriate time for us to remember some wise words from someone not always known for his liberalism:

'When every material improvement has been effected in prisons...when doctors, chaplains, and prison visitors have come and gone, the convict stands deprived of everything that a free man calls life...

The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the
civilisation of any country. A calm and compassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state...a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment... a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate... and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if you can only find it, in the heart of every man- these are the symbols which mark and measure the stored-up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it.'

From Hansard, July 1910

The speaker? that old pinko Winston Churchill MP (Then Home Secretary).

LB.

Dr Jekyll
29th Jun 2001, 17:22
So you prefer the western system whereby hijackers who risk the lives of innnocent people, are kept comfortably in prison at taxpayers expense, waiting for some more hijackers to threaten more innocent people in order to secure their release.

Big Tudor
29th Jun 2001, 17:37
To quote that great American comedian Emo Phillips -

"Capitol punishment turns the state into a murderer, but imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon master."

Haven't noticed a great reduction in murders in the US since Mr McVeigh went to meet his maker though.

Sagey
29th Jun 2001, 18:05
Guildford 4, Birmingham 6 all would have been wrongly executed. Derek Bentley had the age of a 6 year old was executed for saying "Let him have it Chris" when a police officer said give me the gun.

McVeigh was executed wrongly IMO, the truth died with him, and as many of the victims' relatives publicly said it did not replace their loss.

And on the note of the Bulger murderers. I do believe that they have a right to be released, if they possess no threat to society. Their crime was horrendous, but they were children. Those boys have lost their childhood in prison, have been constantly reminded of their "evil deed" and have been reeducated and I for one seriously hope that they are left to lead as much a normal life as possible. Put it this way, if noone in society gives them a chance then they are much more likely to reoffend especially if physically threatened.

I don't want to go into a massive debate etc, it is a pilot forum after all, and yeah spot the Liberal<g>

I don't think hijacking a plane warrants the death penalty. Those that believe it does should ask themselves a question. Could you honestly carry out the sentence and live with yourself?

Sagey

[This message has been edited by Sagey (edited 29 June 2001).]

Release
29th Jun 2001, 18:57
I totally forgot I wasn't in JetBlast after reading that lot. Oh well, back down to the depths!!

Roadtrip
29th Jun 2001, 20:28
One thing for sure, McVeigh won't be slaughtering any more men, women, and kids. That works for me.

Bally Heck
29th Jun 2001, 21:20
More deaths are caused by illegal parking than by murder or hi-jacking. So what?

Well introduce the death penalty for illegal parking and no one will do it. Save hundreds of lives each year. Certainly doesn't deter murderers.

If you must have the death penalty, how about this for a reality check.

If someone is executed and subsequently found to be innocent of the offence he/she was accused of committing. The judge, jury, executioner and (please God) state governor mare required to forfeit their own lives.

Do you feel lucky punk?

(Grammar me boy grammar

[This message has been edited by Bally Heck (edited 29 June 2001).]

G-OODY
29th Jun 2001, 21:49
mutt,

which [chapter] : [verse] is that then?

[This message has been edited by G-OODY (edited 29 June 2001).]

mutt
30th Jun 2001, 14:29
G-OODY

R&N really isn’t the place for this; bring it down to JB if you want to continue.

As for your original unedited message of last night, I suggest that you read 39:10

Mutt http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/FarSMutt.gif