PDA

View Full Version : Calling RAF Aircrew 1950 to 1975

Trev Clark
26th Jun 2007, 15:28
I am researching background stories for a series of articles (and/or book) on never before published RAF flying duties and aircraft types, from 1950 to 1975.
Using the power of the internet, I would like to hear from any ex-aircrew who served on one or more of the following types (and who would be prepared to have any of these stories recorded in print) -
Boeing B-29 Washington B Mk 1
Bristol Brigand
Lockheed Neptune MR1
NA B-45 Tornado (I know, but worth a try!:=)
Avro York
Single and Twin Pioneers
Bristol Belvedere
DH Comet (including R1)
Hunting Pembroke
HS Andover
Short Belfast
This could be your chance to to tell others about your important contribution to the RAF, the UK and the Cold War in general. Not everybody flew the glamorous types!
In the first instance, please PM me if you have an interest in contributing to this project.

In addition to the list above, I am also interested to hear from any ex-crew members who flew as AQMs in the RAF, before the award of a dedicated flying badge.

Regards,
Trev Clark

larssnowpharter
27th Jun 2007, 05:34
Trev,

I will pass this on to my father who flew Brigands in Malaya and on the ATDU at Culdrose. He is pretty sure that he flew the last Brigand flight in RAF service.

ICT_SLB
28th Jun 2007, 03:18
Trev,
Beleive an ex-USAF friend of mine flew meteo B-45s from the UK - don't know if he would be prepared to say anything, apparently the line between met flights and spy flights was a bit thin in those days.

Trev Clark
28th Jun 2007, 11:20
Thanks guys, the B-45 request is a case 'dont ask, dont get' but I thought it worth including as we are past the 50 years rule area, those 'met' flights may have been with RAF markings or RAF crews may (or may not) have been trained to fly the ops. Still a rather grey area, not suprisingly.

I really would like to collect some stories from guys who flew the other (more mundane?) types. I have had a possible contact for the Neptune, (an ex-nav) on another forum, so hopefully these guys are out there somewhere!!

teeteringhead
28th Jun 2007, 15:33
Some useful stuff on the UK based RB-45C here (http://www.spyflight.co.uk/main.htm) if you're not already familiar with the site.

No mention of RAF crews or markings though.

JW411
28th Jun 2007, 16:51
I can remember an RB-45 in RAF markings diverting into Prestwick when I was a youngster. Such aircraft were not supposed to exist. Despite sightings being reported in Air Pictorial almost on a monthly basis the authorities denied that the RAF had anything to do with B-45s.

Anyway, I stood there beside the taxiway at Prestwick when the RB-45 came past and pointed my Brownie box at it. I managed to get two photographs taken when a large hand descended upon my shoulder. The camera was confiscated and then returned with the film removed.

Later on in life and when flying DC-10s in the States, I flew one day with a F/E who told me that he had been at Sculthorpe with the USAF in the 1950s and that he had been involved in servicing the RAF-crewed B-45s.

In any event, Aeroplane Monthly magazine ran at least two articles not so long ago with several nice photographs of the aircraft at Sculthorpe in RAF marks with an explanation of what they were doing.

Basically, it was considered at that time that had a USAF aircraft been shot down over Soviet territory then WW III was likely to break out. However, if an RAF crew in an RAF-marked aircraft were to be downed then it might not be considered quite so serious.

Brian Abraham
1st Jul 2007, 03:20
Trev,
You will find some useful background material on the RAF "Special Flight" led by Squadron Leader John Crampton with lead radar navigator Flight Lieutenant Rex Sanders and their use of four RB-45's at http://www.pinetreeline.org/metz/other/U-2/mixson-1.html

Edited to add http://www.spyflight.co.uk/scul.htm