PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Pursuing a Career as a Pilot Please....

times123
26th Jun 2007, 12:20
To whoever is reading,

I am 33 yrs old. I have just returned home after a period of travelling and now contemplating my next career move. I worked in a bank as an analyst for over 4 years and then moved over to retail for another year. Bottom line I have yet to find a career that interests me and therefore I am now considering alternative career options, a career as a pilot being one. What I need is some sound advice before making such a big move. If anybody can answer any of the following it would be a great help.

Firstly, will my age be an inhibitor to getting a job?

What salary can I expect starting off? If its peanuts, after what stage can one expect to earn good money?

The course that I'm am signed up to do costs €85000 (asuming I pass medical). All this money will be borrowed. Taking my age into consideration, is this a crazy move, i.e. will i be able to pay this off and live comfortably on a Pilots salary?

Whats the market like at the moment? Do you think that there will be sufficient demand for newly qualifieds in 12-14 months?

What apptitude does one need to become a piolt? I have a degree in Economics and a Masters in Food Economics (don't ask) however I only did ordinary level Maths for leaving cert in which I got a B1. Truthfully though I'm not great with figures. Im good at learning processes and putting them into practice. Thats no problem but I'm weak at working out figures in my head. I pretty much need a calculator for everything. Will this be a show-stopper?

Does anybody know of any good online apptitude test in order to test suitability?

After reading the above, in a nutshell would you advise me to go for it or not? I would really appreciate the advice as its really a tough call to make at 33.

Thanks

Mercenary Pilot
26th Jun 2007, 12:23
Sticky: Read before posting a question (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

Its all there. :ok:

Topcat11
27th Jun 2007, 16:00
Age is no concern, if flying is your passion, go for it! But be sure it really is what you want as it is costly. It would not be good to near completion and find it isn't what you really want.

I started the ATPL ground exams at the age of 34, at 36 I've just completed them but unfortunately failed the last one by 4% having passed the other 13. It's the end of the professional route for me, but PPL still keeps me airborne.

If you really want to know if flying is right for you, get a trial lesson, then perhaps work towards your PPL, you can do that whilst upholding a full time job on the ground somewhere - it'll help cut the costs and allow you to make some useful career decisions before commiting a great deal more money.

It you do go for the ATPL, just be prepared for some seriously hard work, it's intense so you need a great deal of drive and commitment, plus you need to be damn good at maths and physics - maths more than anything though. Good luck with it!

beamer
27th Jun 2007, 16:07
I should go and spend a few hundred euros at a flying school first !

Re-Heat
27th Jun 2007, 17:28
times123 - if you find aviation "interesting", but have not really considered it, it is not the career for you. It requires dedication, and you must really be sure that it is the career for you, rather than one of a few options.

Bottom line is, you should spend some cash on a PPL separately first to ensure that it is the career for you, and that you can really stomach the flying!

I am surprised you are weak at mental maths having been in a bank, and yes, it could be a considerable hinderance if you are unable to do it. Another reason to do the PPL - this being also you best aptitude test available.

Take the GAPAN aptitude test as well.