PDA

View Full Version : Australian Sea King Fleet Update

hot_spud
26th Jun 2007, 11:08
Just for those interested in the Sea King fleet over in Australia after it was grounded a year or so ago...
http://sea-king-news.newslib.com/
Any thoughts on how this might affect our UK RAF/RN Sea Kings?

zalt
26th Jun 2007, 21:21
Exactly what news do you think is relavent outside or Australia?

hot_spud
27th Jun 2007, 08:58
Not sure what you mean in your reply.
All I was putting forward was a request for anyone who has any opinions about whether the results from the Australia Sea King groundings will have any impact on how we do things (engineering etc) with our fleet in the UK RN/RAF?

MaroonMan4
27th Jun 2007, 11:42
Hot Spud,

Absolutely none I would imagine - unless you were on the ADF Board of Inquiry (BOI) and have some insider knowledge. If there was a requirement for the UK Sea Kings to be involved then one would imagine that Westlands and the IPT would have been issuing all sorts of Air Worthiness directives.

Now if you dig around you may find the Aussie Sea King BOI report that may enlighten you as to why the UK Sea King Fleet has been aware of developments but not directly effected - in a nut shell the report lists numerous recommendations, but sadly the crux of the report is the old chestnut of authorisation and supervision of maintainers.

I am not saying that our Sea Kings are shining examples of aircraft - but I do not believe that there is read across.