PDA

View Full Version : IOM Commuting

endian675
20th Jun 2007, 14:11
Hi all, I am considering relocating to the Isle of Man. I'm trying to find out if it's feasible to fly 3-5 times per week betwen London City and IOM. How often are flights cancelled? How reliable is Euromanx? How long are they going to remain in business?!

Any info gratefully received.

IOMspotter
20th Jun 2007, 16:08
Theres 2 choices for LCY IOM with VLM also flying the route. Euros have just downsized the aircraft on this route as VLM gains market share. I'm sure VLM would step in if Euros disappeared off the route:)

endian675
21st Jun 2007, 07:51
Thanks for the info. Might put prices up if Euromanx were to pull out, though! I'm not sure that commuting back and forth 5 days a week is really viable. What's Manx airport like to get through?

What aircraft are they running on the route now?

The Shop Floor
21st Jun 2007, 17:15
EM use a dash 8 on the LCY route.

The last week or so has seen a number of cancellations, including LCY, and flights running very late in a combined format - I suppose that's one of the problems with having a small fleet - it only takes one techie and all sorts of problems ensue.

Lets hope it's all fixed for the morning.

rockjock
21st Jun 2007, 19:42
Ronaldsway is a very qiuck airport to transit through, from arrival at the airport to gate is about 10 mins, 15 mins if busy (no checked luggage). Having left London, (Mr Brown was taking too much) I commute to the UK, but not 5 times a week! Apart from the plane going technical, weather alone would cause you to miss the odd day(s) at certain times of the year.

Hansol
22nd Jun 2007, 05:18
I also commute, the biggest winge I have is that I can't get in early on a Monday and need to return Sunday night as a consequence, but long term I think its worth it to escape the smoke. You need to check out the cost of living on the Island, rents are close to London's as are house prices, and utility bills are just silly, so make sure you do you sums.

endian675
22nd Jun 2007, 07:58
Thanks for the info and advice, guys. I had assumed that cost of living would be largely similar to London, so it's the escape from Mr. Brown's Treasury that I'm most interested in.

How many days per week are you each flying in? Does anyone have kids at Buchan/King William's?

I've been reading through the LCY thread and it looks like that would be the major bottleneck, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. We'll have to see.

Chica
25th Jun 2007, 22:26
Does anyone have kids at Buchan/King William's?

Highly overrated, in my experience. The lack of competition for private schooling in the island makes KWC the automatic choice for the moneyed new resident, but it has serious problems.

State education in the island shouldn't be dismissed. Island schools have huge resources and are a far better choice.

Snappybits
26th Jun 2007, 12:24
Island schools have huge resources and are a far better choice.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one Chica......:ok:

exconnected
26th Jun 2007, 16:28
Castle Rushen High is getting my son through A levels. Any school that achieves that HAS to be good!! :8

PAXboy
26th Jun 2007, 17:02
Living in the IOM would be a change even for someone already living in the provinces of the UK. That is not a criticism, my mother has lived in Castletown for 26 years and been very happy there.

It is small town living (wherever you are on the island) and something of a step back in time. Many folks like that and the Island has modernised a great deal in the time that I have been visiting.

Ronaldsway is nice little place and still being expanded. When departing, you will find their X-ray and search more through than on the main land. For example, the boots I tend to wear for travelling set off the magentic loop in the IOM but not at LTN/LHR/LGW/STN or anywhere else for that matter. They also want, now, all shoes off and all PCs out of their bags. But the folks are nice and polite.

I am off again t'row for five days, so as to visit the Mananan festival with my mother. There are many activities on the Island and if you 'buy into' the place then it can be just fine. Teenage children will not be so enthusiastic, I gather! During TT, make sure that you either like it or book your holiday.

As to commuting, be prepared for times when you get fogged in, or out as the case may be. Fog can clamp the airport for 24 hours and you will need to have a range of places to stay on the mainland at short notice.

rockjock
10th Jul 2007, 20:38
Regarding the Buchan/ King Bills - it depends on your aspirations for your kids education. I had my kids there for a couple of years when I first left the city - but it's average at best. Local schools are good.
My kids are now educated back in the UK hence the weekly commute.