PDA

View Full Version : Airbus non-normals --> use of FPV?

Bbow
25th Jun 2007, 12:57
Hello all,

In which non-normals should you use the FPV in the airbus? What does Airbus recommend?

I can only think of a dual RA fault, because you can't use approach mode therefore it's handy to have the FPV. With other failures, what's stopping you from using the FD's?

Been looking through company manuals + FCOM's but unable to find any guidance on this.

A4
25th Jun 2007, 13:11
FPV is a very useful aid, especially if the failure means you have lost AP+FD. It gives you a lot of info with respect to track as well as vertical profile.

One caution is if the failure concerns pitot/static malfunction. From memory I think it's specifically the static side of things. Take a look at "unreliable airspeed" there is a line in there which says something along the lines of "if altimetry is affected FPV may be unreliable."

Hope this helps.

A4

SIDSTAR
25th Jun 2007, 22:21
Use the Bird for all visual, raw data ILS, non-precision approaches . Do not use it if altitude information is unreliable or when FDs are switched off for TCAS manoeuvre. Wonderful tool - get to know it.

Bbow
25th Jun 2007, 23:16
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm familiar with using the FPV under normal conditions (visuals, raw data ILS, NPA's).

What I would like to know is for non-normals, is there any written rule about when to use it? For instance, dual hyd failure, there's nothing stopping you from using the FD's without the FPV on, right?

A4
26th Jun 2007, 14:33
Not sure if there's slight confusion here. If you have FD's on and select TRK/FPA you end up with the "Flight Path Vector Director!" If flying manually this can actually be quite difficult to follow so is best used with AP. This is typically what you will see when doing a Selected/Selected NPA.

Bottom line - the Bird should be used as much as possible in non-normal circumstances if the FD's are not available. Only exception is when altimetry is affected due pitot /static damage (Birdstrike?)

Regards

A4

Fly3
27th Jun 2007, 05:48
Wholeheartedly agree with A4. Excellent aid in all non-normal circumstances when FD is not available. Makes raw data ILS flying a lot easier to.

FlightDetent
28th Jun 2007, 09:35
If a non-normal gives you no autopilot + no FD, then I believe FPV is always the Airbus recommended option.

teghjeet
29th Jun 2007, 08:25
IMHO, the FPV is very useful for all kind of visual approaches.
Addl: If u see the FPV and you or PNF has not selected it most likely FD and AP are not avbl.
You maynot have the FD but you will always have FPV.
The only time it fails, in addition to Pitot static as mentioned earlier, is if the selector button fails.

Very good for NPA (Rec Proc by Airbus) and esp transition to visual profile.

SoundLesS
29th Jun 2007, 20:56
As far as i remember if the IRS' fail it doesnt provide correct information either = u cannot use it...

teghjeet
30th Jun 2007, 06:59
yes if all 03 irs fail