PDA

View Full Version : When Cabin Crew Scream....

skr80
25th Jun 2007, 09:50
Just got back from Zante. The outward journey landing,17/6/07 LGW, was not a good one for us SLF !
The first landing was aborted due to shear wind as we were in informed and the plane roared up and off and around (lots of bouncing about)
The second landing attempt seemed to be going ok, until the plane literally slammed down onto the runway (possibly about 10 feet but felt like 30). The front wheels did not touch down on this one.
One cabin crew member screamed as we dropped down, hit tarmac, and took off again, with trim hanging down from the inside of the plane.
On the third attempt, we landed in the opposite direction, and I think another pilot landed it (seemed to be a different voice on announcement) Is this a standard practise to let another officer have a go at landing after two attempts?
Lots of SLF being sick, and very very nervous people all round it seemed. Beer sales up in Zante that evening!!
Have you ever screamed upon landing through fright - it was not very re-assuring to a number of SLF...

Tight Seat
25th Jun 2007, 10:09
Just a little reminder that its not just the computers flying the aircraft. Good old flying skills are a still needed.

As to the rights and wrongs of the landing, wasn't there so not much to add.

As for the crew screaming. This time of year you have lots of new crew and as a result they haven't got much flying experience. They will in time. We were all new to our jobs once upon a time.

Contacttower
25th Jun 2007, 10:10
On the third attempt, we landed in the opposite direction, and I think another pilot landed it (seemed to be a different voice on announcement) Is this a standard practise to let another officer have a go at landing after two attempts?

It may have been that the Captain took over from the First Officer.

Tight Seat
25th Jun 2007, 10:12
Or the FO from the Captain:}

Gonzo
25th Jun 2007, 10:13
It's rather odd...if one screams on a train or bus one is looked at by fellow travellers as if one is quite mad.

If one screams on an aircraft, everyone else joins in.

haughtney1
25th Jun 2007, 10:19
Couldn't agree more Gonzo....:} As for Zakinthos..it can be a little tricky in certain wind conditions....particulalry if its blowing more than about 15 knots..and a crosswing..cos it rolls off them hills on either side. It usually requires a "positive" arrival in the 757 or baby bus :} having just over 6000ft of LDA available.

Rainboe
25th Jun 2007, 10:25
skr80- sorry, but that had me laughing! It was obviously a really awful day down there, but you were in no danger. the change of voice means nothing- the other pilot could have taken over the PA as the handling pilot would have been very occupied with the runway change and setting up the new approach, radios, charts etc. As for the stewardess 'screaming', they get a bit nervous too sometimes, and maybe she felt the drop. Such landings are really no problem for the plane, conditions were probably very difficult. The sort of flight to enjoy a nice cold beer afterwards and have a laugh, but not a dice with death. Those sort of landings are a good 'learning experience' for pilots! I still do one myself every so often- all pilots do.

The nearby hills can cause a real problem with a crosswind. Isn't this the place that has a curfew some times of the year because of turtles or something crawling onto the runway? Nice looking island anyway.

BTW- I think it a little unfair to exactly identify the flight/day. It could possibly lead to unpleasant repercussions for a crew doing their best for you! And this is posted in the wrong section.

Contacttower
25th Jun 2007, 10:29
Such landings are really no problem for the plane

A certain arrival at Hong Kong in 1999 comes to mind....

Rainboe
25th Jun 2007, 10:32
My worst was over 30 years ago carrying Earl Mountbatten himself into Rangoon. I still cringe. Thank heavens the VC10 was carved ourt of a large block of stainless steel- we used to call it the 'Iron Duck' for a reason!

scudpilot
25th Jun 2007, 10:38
A certain arrival at Hong Kong in 1999 comes to mind....

Would like to hear the story....

loosbroek
25th Jun 2007, 10:55
I would...

The Bartender
25th Jun 2007, 10:57
Scudpilot:

You can read about it yourself, here... (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19990822-0)

You can see a video of the accident, here... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=N_grAqcO-GY)

...and you can se photos, here... (http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/ci642/photo.shtml)

Bedlamair
25th Jun 2007, 10:58
Don't know about Cabin Crew, but I've certainly heard a few FO's scream:eek:

Contacttower
25th Jun 2007, 11:10
I just mentioned the Hong Kong accident because I happened to start a Tech log thread on the ability of planes to take really hard landings. The story goes like this....

MD-11 coming into landing during a typhoon at HKG in 1999, approach gets a little destabilised at 500ft, but plane continues. At 70ft the auto thrust retarded to idle, aircraft enters the flare having lost a lot of airspeed.... despite the captain's best efforts the aircraft slams into the runway at over 1000fpm, wing snaps off as the landing gear collaspe, 3 people dead and aircraft completely destroyed.

loosbroek
25th Jun 2007, 11:12
For a passenger, it is always scary to fly in such conditions, I know for myself.

mt1832
25th Jun 2007, 11:49
When on a domestic flight in the US some time back the standard 'oxygen masks will drop etc' announcement had 'and when you've done screaming' added by the steward in the appropriate place which, although unorthodox was quite amusing

hobie
25th Jun 2007, 11:55
Did I mention a Trident coming into Heathrow many years ago ..... summers day .... mid afternoon ...... and we were being thrown all over the place untill the last 50 feet ..... then it was like landing on a feather pillow .... :)

After landing the Skipper apologized and explained weather conditions etc etc but I rem him saying ..... if it's any consolation it was my worst landing too !!!! ..... :p

loosbroek
25th Jun 2007, 12:17
I can remember such a landing too. It was a flight from Amsterdam to London Heathrow. When we flew above London City strong winds made the pilot wait for half an hour to land, so we had to circle above the city with these winds. When we landed, another airplane had a very rough landing because of the storm. Our pilot told us it was 'quite a bit windy in London':)

christep
25th Jun 2007, 14:47
the aircraft slams into the runway at over 1000fpm, wing snaps off as the landing gear collaspe, 3 people dead and aircraft completely destroyed.I think you need an "only" in there somewhere. Huge kudos to the HKG fire crews who were there and effective in seconds. Given that the fuselage was upside down and the fuel tanks were ruptured it is astonishing to me that 312 people got out more or less unharmed. I suspect that wouldn't have been the result at many other airports.
http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/ci642/3.jpg

Contacttower
25th Jun 2007, 16:38
Given that the fuselage was upside down and the fuel tanks were ruptured it is astonishing to me that 312 people got out more or less unharmed. I suspect that wouldn't have been the result at many other airports.

Huge kudos to the HKG fire crews who were there and effective in seconds

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more, especially considering it was dark, pouring with rain and blowing a howling gale.

egnxer
25th Jun 2007, 16:41
I'd be interested to know what you people think is consistently the "worst" UK airport to land at due to crosswinds.

Contacttower
25th Jun 2007, 19:05
I've heard that Harwarden is quite bad, the winds come off the mountains from Wales and blow right across the runway.

apaddyinuk
25th Jun 2007, 19:09
I screamed once on landing.... but only because an O2 bottle above me which was not properly secured fell onto my crotch!!!!!

BOFH
25th Jun 2007, 21:30

I gather it is. If that doesn't work, the CC will come through asking if anyone is a pilot.:)

apaddyinuk
Falsetto?

BOFH

Beausoleil
26th Jun 2007, 01:54
Years ago I asked a member of cabin crew why there was fluid leaking out of an overhead locker. We were half way across the Atlantic.

She looked up, her jaw dropped, and she screamed "Oh my God, there's something wrong with the plane" at the top of her voice.

Exemplary.

c2lass
26th Jun 2007, 21:23
We came back from Ljubljana a couple of weeks ago into LGW and experienced the heaviest landing. No winds neither, it was a beautiful sunny day. I too am terrified of flying (falling to bits inside but trying to look calm and composed on the outside) and for me landing is the bit I dread more than anything. Even hubby commented on this heavy landing and it takes alot for him to be un-nerved. A few pax shrieked as well! My pessimistic thoughts always imagine the plane is going to tip over.

strid
26th Jun 2007, 22:32
Rainboe says:

skr80- sorry, but that had me laughing! It was obviously a really awful day down there, but you were in no danger...

bla bla bla (he was there you see)

I've learnt my lesson skr80. We, the fair paying type aren't allowed to mention these sort of things here. Rainboe is of the generation where it's weak to be nervous or inquisitive even. Basically pay your money, sit down, be quiet then get off and come back only if you have to.

TightSlot
27th Jun 2007, 08:42
We, the fair paying type aren't allowed to mention these sort of things here

Oh yes you are! - Please don't worry about Rainboe unduly. He/She doesn't run these forums, Danny and his mods do, and we will not allow pointless bullying. Rainboe often makes good points, but unfortunately makes them in a style that can sometimes cause distress.You can ask these sort of questions in here, but there are some useful ways to avoid being flamed.

An honest enquiry about an incident, or any aspect of the Flight Crew procedures will usually generate an honest answer. If not, then its the mods job to take action.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Assumptions about the nature of an incident can often be mistaken, or may only be partially correct. You will tend to get better answers to open questions that do not assume error or assign blame.

There is a very real problem on PPRuNe with people passing supposedly informed comment who have little or no flying experience but own a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and an airband scanner and have had a few hours towards a PPL and believe that they are therefore entitled to contribute as if they were real world Flight Crew. Given that real-world airmanship extends beyond a mere knowledge of the systems involved, and includes judgement, experience and CRM amongst others, the MsFS 'pilots' are a genuine source of irritation to many.

So nobody should feel intimidated into not asking questions: The reason that I enjoy modding this forum is that I believe that it offers a genuinely useful venue for informed answers to genuine questions - whether from those of uss who work on board, or from fellow travellers who have a wealth of experience (never underestimate how many hours some people in here spend airborne - they are a very informed source!)

Beausoleil
27th Jun 2007, 09:06
I've learnt my lesson skr80. We, the fair paying type aren't allowed to mention these sort of things here. Rainboe is of the generation where it's weak to be nervous or inquisitive even. Basically pay your money, sit down, be quiet then get off and come back only if you have to.

I didn't see anything objectionable in Rainboe's reply, at least not enough to warrant any offence being taken. I think the crew having a bit of a laugh at the anxieties of passengers is quite healthy, as long as it doesn't veer over into holding passengers in contempt. I think most jobs have a similar sort of release mechanism.

I remember coming into Manchester one time with a plane bucking all over the place - felt like riding one of those bulls. People were shrieking, the engines were winding up and down seemingly all the time, it seemed like the plane was pointing about 90 degrees away from the direction it was moving in... The ground got closer and closer, the panic level rose, we were all going to die, then suddenly the pilot whipped it round and we were slowing down on the runway as normal. I'm sure the crew had a few laughs about the passenger reaction on that one, and who can blame them? Better that than have them stressing about it.

All human beings behave in ridiculous ways sometimes. Life will be hard if you can't stand to be laughed at occasionally.

skr80
27th Jun 2007, 15:25
I was not nervous - just curious that about the protocol, and the fact that a professional steward managed to scream during the 10 foot slam into the ground.

As an aside, how you you all in the cockpit feel when you hear applause and cheering from SLF (assuming you do do hear) when the craft finally does remain on Gods green (or tarmac) stuff. Are you amused / p*ssed off / etc?

Little Blue
28th Jun 2007, 05:32
I've heard a few cabin crew scream, in my time.
But they certainly weren't o/b an a/c at the time !!;);)