PDA

View Full Version : SIA

cougar77
25th Jun 2007, 04:15
Effee,

"I am currently 21, no way i'm waiting 5 years to get into commercial, and i will not be accepted into the airforce due to wearing glasses."

The airforce do accept pilot wannabes wearing glasses up to a certain degree. I also understand that they had a trial of selecting some to go thru all expenses paid lasik too.

Thornycactus,

Need to correct you on some points:

SIA does take in RSAF pilots. There are a lot of ex-RSAF pilots in SIA. They have not phased out the SIA-RSAF scheme, its still ongoing. Those below 38 yrs are still accepted by SIA on the "young man's acheme", however those in the "old man's scheme" are channelled to SIA Cargo and currently majority are to Silkair these few intakes probably based o the demands of Silkair.

SIA's 1st choice of RSAF pilots are the transport guys as they have the hours and sectors on multi-engines, 2nd choice are the fighter pilots that fly twins and lastly if consider are the helicopter guys.

Of course, there are some ex-RSAF pilots who had been with SIA for a couple of years have moved to "greener pastures" with other airlines. Quite a few of the expat pilots that SIA Cargo employs on a 5 yr contract tend to move to ther airlines too after their contracts. Its much easier to do so after being "type rated" and "having been employed with SIA".

"Nobody (Singaporeans) has ever raised this issue and has been keeping quiet all the while.:ugh:"

How do you know as to whether nobody has ever raised this issue?