PDA

View Full Version : UK vs USA

rafhawk
24th Jun 2007, 18:23
UK vs USA
I appoligise in advance, as i am aware that this subject must have been covered in much detail many times before, only this time i have a slightly different question.

I am only 16 ( 17 next April ) and am concidering taking my PPL. I live in Bournemouth, Dorset, UK, But i have accomodation with family and the use of a Beechcraft Mustketeer in Ohio, USA. Fortunatly as it is my uncles own aircraft and his friend is a flying instructor, teaching the American sylabus, all i have to do is pay each person £100 and there after i pay my own gas bill, no rental.

This is good, however, i would like to know,
If i obtain an American licence ( FAA i think ), what are the rules regs and costs for using it back in the UK?
Also, what will i have to do to keep this licence current, bearing in mind i am not able to travle to and from the states more than once a year?

I thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards,
Bill

mcgoo
24th Jun 2007, 19:12
Did you read the replies you got last month for the same question?, they cover what is required to maintain the license and what you can do.

rafhawk
24th Jun 2007, 19:17
Thank you very much for reminding me, i forgot i had posted that :ugh:

Take care, thanks , Bill.

TelBoy
24th Jun 2007, 21:47
In my view the FAA licence (certificate) is better because of the greater flexability. FAA PPL holders automatically have a night rating and you do not have any minimum flight hours to keep current, only BFR every 24 months and to take passengers 3 take offs and landings in the last 90 days.

Remember as it is your relatives aircraft it might not be suitable for instruction and you will need a student M1 visa and TSA clearance. The Visa needs a school that can issue the I20 form and the school also needs approval from the TSA. These make it VERY difficult for an informal arrangment and beware if you do it without the required paperwork the Americans will be little amused - do so at your peril. Keep it legal and the US is a great place to fly.

All the best to you.

gcolyer
24th Jun 2007, 22:00
In JAA land you can do the 5 hours night training as part of your 45 hours PPL, so there is no extra cost in getting your JAA PL with night.To keep your JAA license current you only need to do 12 hours in 24 months 1 of which must be with an instructor and to take passengers 3 take offs and landings in the last 90 days. The night qualification does not expire, but to take passengers you need 3 night take offs and landings in the last 90 days.

I done my training in the US and I definatley recommend it. You will definatley save money on landing fees.

gcolyer
25th Jun 2007, 10:05
As far as using you relatives aircraft and flying instructor who is a friend you might well have issues there.

The VISA can only be based on a flight school that is authorised by the INS to issue I-20's. So the chances of your friend haveing that authorisation is slim.

Using an FAA license in the UK is not really an issue. I have both JAA and FAA licenses, as do many of us. Key things to remember are limitation if you are not flying an N reg aircraft:

1) If you do not have a JAA night qaulification you can only fly at night if in an N reg aircraft

2) If you get an FAA IR you can only use it in an N reg aircraft

Other than that, day time VFR is not restricted.

2close
25th Jun 2007, 10:31
Would strongly recommend going to the USA.

You don't have to put up with the UK weather causing you delay after delay with your training, extortionate fuel prices, landing charges and CAA fees, airfields closed after 6 pm (even in the summer), larger airports that won't let you play in their playground unless you pay a small fortune...and of course you only have one written exam to pass (wait for the backlash from the 'our training is better than theirs' brigade here!).

There will be some restrictions on your return to the UK but daytime VFR is perfectly OK, however, don't forget that, strictly speaking if you want to operate a radio in a UK registered aircraft on your return you will need a UK issued Flight Radio Telephony Operator's Licence (Very often overlooked!) but don't get too hung up about that one - I've never heard of anyone who did it until they converted to a JAA licence.

However, you will need some conversion training. Flying an aircraft is flying an aircraft, regardless of which side of the pond you're on but there are some marked procedural and RT differences which you will need to get up to speed on before flying solo in the UK.

Try and find a friendly and experienced owner/operator who is willing to fly dual with you for sharing the costs. This may work out cheaper in the long run.

Best of luck.

2close

rafhawk
25th Jun 2007, 15:32
Hi, thanks for all of the replies, very very helpful.
But i have one last idea........

What are your ideas on building up hours ( in a log book doing training in the states ) and return to the UK and take the relevant exams and tests in the UK ??

Maybe learning the things taught on the UK JAA sylabus, but not word for word, as i know he will not be a JAA qualified instructor.

If any of the above makes sence, i welcome your replies.
Regards, Bill.

gcolyer
25th Jun 2007, 15:44
If you dont have a license and intend to hour build in the states then you dont have much chance of being able to log the hours. this puts you back to square 1 of registering with a flying school and getting an M1 VISA.

Personaly...and this is what I done..Go to one of the Florida schools OBA,EFT,OFT blah blah blah. Get your JAA license. Come home to the UK and then apply for an FAA license based on your JAA license. All it will cost to get the FAA based on the JAA is £38. All you then need to do is a BFT every 2 years to be able to use the FAA license. The FAA license will always be valid a long as your JAA license remains valid.

If you go and get an FAA license and then convert that to a JAA license it will cost you more money and time, as you will have to sit the JAA exams and unless you have a stupid amount of hours you will have to do X amount of flight training.

rafhawk
25th Jun 2007, 17:24
Good stuff. I dont suppose you know of any in Ohio do you? only i then have free accomodation with family.
Thanks for all your help, Regards, Bill.

gcolyer
26th Jun 2007, 08:08
I don't know any in Ohio. But I do know OBA in Florida provide the accomodation for you at no extra cost.