PDA

View Full Version : Indradhanush - II

BombayDuck
24th Jun 2007, 17:19
The IAF is on its way to Waddington for Indradhanush (Rainbow). Sukhoi Su-30MKIs will exercise alongside Tornados, E-3s and the Typhoon.

To kick off, here is a link (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Special/Exercises/Indradhanush/) that gives details and pics of the Indian delegation.

I expect some pics from you folks too :)

The Rhinos Are Coming!

ORAC
24th Jun 2007, 17:45
The delegation is being led by Group Captain Saini, with Wg Cdr A C Chopra as the Deputy Leader .Wing Commander A K Bharti is the Commanding Officer of No.30 Sqn. His Flight Commanders, Wing Commander Asit and Assudani are part of a 20 strong Su-30 Aircrew. The Il-78/76 detachment is led by Gp Capt K Raghavendra,VM who is a highly qualified Airlift expert. And they say the RAF is over-ranked..... :\

Wensleydale
24th Jun 2007, 18:25
"The IAF is sending a few Fighter Controllers to observe and even control aircraft from the RAF's AWACS aircraft."

I don't remember seeing any Indian Fighter Controllers on the 23 week long AWACS Conversion Course recently. Perhaps I could just turn up and control a couple of Typhoons as well!!

L J R
24th Jun 2007, 19:20
I was on a Cope Thunder in Alaska some years ago when IAF flew in Jags, Transports and Refuelling aircraft. They too were full of Gp Capts and Wg Cdrs. Did manage to see a few Indian Flt Lts, but the Senior Officer Corps far out-weighed the Junta.

Sentry Agitator
24th Jun 2007, 19:40
Yes the IAF can seem to be a bit top heavy on the rank front but that is because they operate a 'time' promotion system which may be likely to change in the near future. That's what some of the IAF told me during a very pleasant cocktail party during Indra Dhanush 06 anyway?

However, they are a very professional bunch who are extremely proud of their Air Force and platform capabilities so lets not knock them on this thread before they have even arrived!

I for one have a great deal of enthusiasm for the next couple of weeks and with luck I may even get to be 'in the office' when the serials are taking place.

Welcome to the IAF and I hope you enjoy OUR hospitality the way we enjoyed yours last October!

SA:ok:

SirToppamHat
24th Jun 2007, 19:40
ORAC:

I was told that the IAF (or at least parts of it) have promotion to gp capt on time rather than in competition. When dealing with other nations, they seem to be more interested in the experience/time you have than your actual rank.

Wensleydale:

WRT controlling in the UK, IAF FCs will not be operating on their own tickets. They will not be controlling at all outside segregated airspace, and will be screened throughout by fully-qualified FCs.

STH

Eddited to add:

Sentry Agitator beat me to it, but only just!

H5N1
24th Jun 2007, 20:38
Sentry,

Oh yes, the IAF hospitality was super! I'm still carrying the scars!! On a serious note though they are a thoroughly professional and proud service and I hope we can show them as a good a time as they showed us during 06.

Yeller_Gait
24th Jun 2007, 20:44
SA

Welcome to the IAF and I hope you enjoy OUR hospitality the way we enjoyed yours last October!

They may enjoy our hospitality as much as we enjoyed theirs, but ...

I sincerely hope that our hospitality even anywhere near approaches that of the Indians last year. It seems that hospitality is something we Brits are just not very good at. At least with them being here for the airshow they might get some free food and drink from the hosting tent.

Here is hoping for some better weather too, it will be something of a shock if they arrive to the weather we have had for the last few weeks.

Y_G

Tonkenna
24th Jun 2007, 20:48
Have to agree... last year was great. Hope to be at Waddo on Fri:)

Tonks :cool:

Gainesy
25th Jun 2007, 08:25
I can't get away from the vision of them going on the lash in Lincoln and ending up seeing who can eat a really, really mild "English".:)

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jun 2007, 08:36
:} Thats a good sketch Gainsey.

"Give me the blandest thing on the menu."

Green Flash
25th Jun 2007, 09:05
I wonder if they are bringing any extra strong Cobra:\?!

Gainesy
25th Jun 2007, 09:45
Cobra was invented in Fulham and is brewed in Bedford. Good marketing though.:)

Thud_and_Blunder
25th Jun 2007, 21:28
I'm off to Waddo to operate the Air Ambo for the duration of the Air Show - it looks as if there'll be some interesting stuff to gawp at before I depart the field daily to our FOB. That's if I can make my way through the floods first.

BombayDuck
4th Jul 2007, 18:58
A press release, with the usual hyperbole in it :)

'EX-INDRADHANUSH 2007' GETS UNDERWAY AT UK

Waddington (UK): July 4, 2007

The second bilateral Indo-UK air exercise - 'Indradhanush-2007', involving the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Royal Air Force (RAF), got underway here at the Royal Air Force (RAF) base, Waddington, on Monday.

The inaugural day, primarily for familiarization of the participating IAF Su-30 MKI aircrew with the flying environment in UK, saw them flying alongside RAF F3 Tornadoes of the XXV Squadron that are based at RAF Leeming, but are operating from Waddington alongside IAF Su-30 MKIs for the duration of the exercise. Also airborne were a Eurofighter Typhoon and a Hawk aircraft.

"It will be a mutual learning experience for both", said Wing Commander AK Bharti, talking of the learning values in terms of inter-operability between the two air forces after returning from a sortie, of a four-aircraft formation comprising a Su-30 MKI, F3 Tornado, Typhoon and a Hawk.

The 'airborne warning and control' (AWAC) system experience, a veritable electronic 'eye-in-the-sky' platform was also observed by few IAF personnel onboard an E3-D Sentry AWAC aircraft belonging to RAF's No. 8 Fighter Squadron, based here in Waddington. The E3-D Sentry and the F3 Tornadoes also participated in the first series of Exercise Indradhanush-2006, held at Gwalior in India, last year.

The exercise between two simulated air elements, the "Red Air" (aggressors) and the "Blue Air" (defenders) forces will have the training element for the latter. Missions comprising multiple aircraft will form some of the intrinsic training missions, some of them highly advanced and complex missions. Mediating between the two will be the "White" force, who remain neutral and whose decisions will be the last word, to mitigate differences, if any. They comprise 'observers' from both sides, and include members from the IAF's 'Tactics and Combat Development Establishment' (TACDE) and the RAF's 'Air Warfare Centre' (AWC), the premiere institutions of the two air forces, constituting the 'best-amongst-the-best' aircrew and personnel on both sides.

----------

But better than that, I give you....

this beautiful pic (http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/Special/Exercises/Indradhanush02/SB041-UK.jpg.html)!

:ok:

Thud_and_Blunder
4th Jul 2007, 21:45
Just 'cos I fly air ambleeances doesn't mean I have to lose my sad spotter tendencies (the Lincs/Notts Air Amb base by the old VASS buildings has a pretty good view of the runway at EGXW):

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Rough_and_Toothless/_DCC0823.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa61/Rough_and_Toothless/_DCC0801.jpg

Navaleye
5th Jul 2007, 05:55
Bet they won't fly against the Typhoon. I can't see the RAF exposing their underwear against a fully worked up opponent. The SU30s are great bits of kit. I'm not convinced the Typhoon is any better.

BombayDuck
5th Jul 2007, 06:47
Thank you very much, T&B!

Navaleye - why so? The Typhoon has at least a couple of aces in hand when dealing with the MKI... not to mention the fact that in some areas like BVR combat, you folks have far more experience than we do.

Yeller_Gait
5th Jul 2007, 08:09
I think that you will also find that the MKI pilots will struggle in the BVR scenario as they have been told not to use their radar!

Seems strange, particularly as last October there was no restrictions on the MKI using radar when playing with F3 and AWACS on Indra Dhanush 06.

Y_G

BombayDuck
5th Jul 2007, 14:37
That... is indeed strange. What kind of snooping equipment these days is so large that it wont fit inside an E-3 (okay so it is not exactly the most spacious with those terminals and all) and needs a ground station?

Oh well, I hope they get enough insights into how to team up with AWACS/AEW in operational scenarios, again something we have no experience of...

Colonel Cathcart
5th Jul 2007, 17:34
Navaleye,

It's a shame the British nation has bred such a bunch of cynics. The RAF was indeed prepared to 'expose their underwear'. The Typhoon has taken on the best machine anyone outside America can produce and has comprehensively redefined the standard required in the visual combat arena. Well done to everyone involved. Maybe this might herald a renewed enthusiasm and hold back the tide of cynicism that blights the efforts of so many involved in the Typhoon programme.

MightyGem
6th Jul 2007, 07:39
However, they are a very professional bunch who are extremely proud of their Air Force and platform capabilities
Didn't they give the USN a thrashing a couple of years ago?

antipodean alligator
6th Jul 2007, 07:50
Surely the IAF wouldn't waste the dosh required to deploy all the way to the UK by mandating a noses cold policy........Surely you jest YellarGait???
I guess they'll never improve their BVR skills if they don't play against advanced nations!

Backwards PLT
6th Jul 2007, 09:15
Antipodean

What you have to remember is that this is defence diplomacy - not a proper exercise. So - I hear they are jolly nice chaps, lovely aeroplanes etc etc. But hey defence is all about diplomacy, its not just blowing stuff up/taking ground!

WhiteOvies
6th Jul 2007, 10:57
Possibly a difference between noses cold and noses not fully hot? Don't want to give away all your capabilities just in case - same as SHAR vs Mig 29 in Malaysia, or SHAR vs USA at Red Flag 03.

BombayDuck
6th Jul 2007, 18:14
You guys.... have some of the best spotters in the world.

We've had Sukhois in service for ten years, but photos like the ones we're seeing now.... wow!

Link 1 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=34751)

Link 2 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=34776) - Includes a lovely shot of a Tornado with reheat!

Link 3 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=34754)

Link 4 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=34685)

Link 5 (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=34570)

Beautiful.

I've_got a traveller
6th Jul 2007, 19:35
I'm no spotter, but that is one good looking aeroplane!!

It is well fit!!! Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

:D

TEEEJ
10th Jul 2007, 21:31
Thanks BombayDuck!

The F.3 reheat is mine. I had to get the old Box Brownie up sharpish to catch that one! I took some more yesterday and today.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=35040

BombayDuck
11th Jul 2007, 06:03
Sweet pics, Teej! Thank you!

Carry0nLuggage
11th Jul 2007, 21:42
I was in Bangalore last week and was amused one evening sitting in the hotel bar to see some locals tucking into bowls of chips. Hard to keep a straight face remembering the sketch :ok: I suppose the ketchup made it a little less bland.
(The Windsor Sheraton is good but I prefer the Leela Palace. Pity my employers won't stump up for either this year :{)

tonyosborne
11th Jul 2007, 22:51
Cold Noses, does that mean the Indians are using IRST's then?

Oh and one from me...

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/tonyosborne2/ukarpics/FCImages/SB041Su30FlankerAJOsborne.jpg

BombayDuck
12th Jul 2007, 10:20
Tony, yes - I have it confirmed that under certain conditions (mutually agreed on) the MKIs will be using the IRST in the exercises.

Nice pic!

edited to add: Hmmm, what is that on the port OB station, and why it not on starboard?

BattlerBritain
12th Jul 2007, 10:32
AA-8 or AA-11 without fins?

Probably so they can use it to get a seeker tone but not actually launch the thing?

Gainesy
12th Jul 2007, 10:42
Looks like the ACMI data pod, or whatever its called these days.

BombayDuck
12th Jul 2007, 11:37
ah, suspected as much. Looks too thin to be a training Aphid/Archer. I guess the fly-by-wire take care of the weight imbalance, though that must be little...

Wader2
12th Jul 2007, 11:50
You guys.... have some of the best spotters in the world.

And some even get arrested by our NATO allies as spies :)

tonyosborne
12th Jul 2007, 19:42
Think it is just an acquisition round, because it appears to have a seeker...

Rapscallion
13th Jul 2007, 20:40
RAF Press Release (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=BE8B53D9-1143-EC82-2E1D1D967FFBDE9F)
What on earth is an SU30 Mk 1?? :ugh:

Anyway, well done to the MKI guys for a good det, despite the diplomatic constraints and the worst of British weather! :ok:

Charlie Luncher
14th Jul 2007, 00:09
They were probably were using their LPI variant and you were down at top of climb as usual, just didnt spot it, bet you Neil B would have:8:8.:eek:
Charlie sends:8:8:8

BombayDuck
14th Jul 2007, 07:28
Jeebus! Su-30Mk.1?! :rolleyes:

The earlier one was just the MK (some did call it Mk.1) but this one is definitely the Modernizirovannyi Kommercheskiy Indiski - *Multirole Commercial India* version. (China has the MKK (Kitei = China) and there is the MKM for Malaysia...)

Rapscallion - that's quite alright. Considering two Sundays ago Bombay got 400 mm of rain in one day, and that Pune (where the Rhinos are based) is just 80 kms south-east I doubt it was anything they weren't used to!

BTW, is "Flanker H" now the official NATO codename?

ORAC
17th Jul 2007, 07:52
Defence Industry Daily: Typhoon vs. SU-30MKI: The 2007 Indra Dhanush Exercise (http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/typhoon-vs-su-30mki-the-2007-indra-dhanush-exercise-03470/#more)

LowObservable
17th Jul 2007, 16:34
Duck,
The IAF calls the MKI the Rhino?
That's confusing, since that's what the US Navy calls the Super Hornet...

TEEEJ
17th Jul 2007, 16:58
Bombay, Flanker H is the codename for the Su-30MKI. The PRC Su-30MKKs received the codename Flanker G. The names are not allocated by NATO, but by the ASIC (formerly ASCC).

http://www.airstandards.com/ascc/

http://www.airstandards.com/ascc/index.php

Yeller_Gait
17th Jul 2007, 23:44
An interesting quote from the Defence Industry Daily article

Exercise Indra Dhanush 2007 came to an end on July 12/07, reaching its crescendo with a 6 vs. 6 aerial combat involving 4 Indian Su-30 MKIs, 4 British F3 Tornado air defence variants, 2 British Typhoons, and 2 of the Royal Navy's GR9 Sea Harriers

So presuming that they were not GR9's, what were they?

Low obs,
I refer you to the first post of this thread, the Rhino's are the 30 Sqn IAF, equipped with Flanker SU-30 MKI. I is for India, as the crews will tell you in no uncertain terms!

Y_G

foormort
18th Jul 2007, 03:28
Christ alive,
with that air threat I wouldn't want to be flying around in a sub sonic GR9 with no DL or FCR.

BombayDuck
18th Jul 2007, 06:58
DL is datalink? The GR9 doesn't have one?

Low Observable - As Yeller_Gait said, the Rhinos are the No. 30 Squadron. The other two are No. 20 Lightnings and No. 24 Hunting Hawks. So far we have some 50 of them, only a hundred and forty more to go. Or maybe a hundred and eighty... :cool: