PDA

View Full Version : "Senior F/O"

Willit Run
24th Jun 2007, 14:06
Just got an offer from Jade to be a "senior F/O"
As we don't have that title in the U.S., can ya'll help me out a wee bit?

I'm currently a classic captain, hummmmmmmm??

thanks

flyboyike
24th Jun 2007, 14:27
You're going to wear three stripes instead of two. Unless, of course, Jade thought you were Mexican and what they really mean is Seņor F/O.

oncenterline
24th Jun 2007, 15:39
Probably you will be a normal FO with one exception: on long sectors where an extra pilot is required you might be the 'Senior FO' to take the left seat while the captain is in the bunk.

luddite
24th Jun 2007, 16:06
Where I work now a senior first officer is one who has the experience and has passed the company assessment to move into the LHS. But every company I've worked for has a different definition. What did they tell you??

rduarte
24th Jun 2007, 17:27
As A current SFO in my Airline,i can tell you, the difference is you can take the LHS on cruise, on long haul flights.

RD

Jetstream Rider
24th Jun 2007, 17:48
In my airline you wear an extra stripe and it means you have been there for 4 years. That's it. No extra priviledges or cash and the guy with 2 stripes can still occupy the captains seat when he is taking rest. Its a badge really. Every airline is different though.

Oh, it means the cabin crew don't treat you like a child too.

BelArgUSA
24th Jun 2007, 19:35
Depending, for some airlines, a SF/O may mean -a F/O that holds captain qualifications, or
was a captain in the past, on other equipment, or
high seniority F/O...
xxx
Depending on which airline as well, some wear 4 stripes (in the case of captains who were qualified on other equipment)...
This is for the old saying "once a captain, always a captain"
xxx
In my airline, a cruise captain (3 pilot crew) is called a SF/O...
And more important... a SF/O has a better paycheck -
xxx
Stripes "culture" in some distant countries - note this...
A F/O (3 stripes) cannot ask a ramp agent (one wearing 3 stripes) to connect external power... he better have 4 stripes to convey that authority.
xxx
You know why I love to fly freighters rather than passenger cattle planes...?
As soon as I am in the flight deck, I change to t-shirt and jeans...
And I dont have to shake hands with little boxes...
xxx
Happy contrails

RoyHudd
24th Jun 2007, 21:51
Cool. Happy contrails to you too.

FougaMagister
24th Jun 2007, 22:07
In my outfit, there are no junior or senior FOs; there are simply FOs (3 stripes) and Captains (4 stripes). Full stop.

Cheers :cool:

411A
25th Jun 2007, 02:31
At one airline where I worked, they had First Officers, Senior First Officers, Training First Officers, senior Training First Officers...and, oh wait, that's it.
First Officer, two stripes, performed normal F/O duties and of course operated every other sector...well, on my flights anyway.
Senior First Officer, three stripes and it had indicated he had passed his ATPL exams.
Training First officer.
Was carried along on some flights to instruct new cadet First officers (darn, I just knew I had forgotten one grade:rolleyes:) in the normal line flying procedures, and occupied the RHS for all takeoffs/landings...the cadet slipping into the seat above 5000 feet.
Senior Training First Officer.
Gave final checks to the Cadet First officers, prior to them being released for...the final check with the fleet manager.

So, this left the Captain (yours truly) to taxi the airplane into position on the runway (some however had a RHS tiller, so that was varied somewhat), the RHS guy pushed up the throttles, I had my hand on same until V1, called the speeds, raised the gear and flaps...and sat back a smoked a nice Cuban cigar, while the rest of the crew did all the work.
A superb arrangement, if I do say so, myself.:}

PS:
To those who are a Captain now....never ever ever give up the LHS for a RHS position....unless of course your third wife has now cleaned you out of house and home, and you have no choice.

Raj Merlion
25th Jun 2007, 02:45
Ha, ha good one! Great advice....never trade captaincy for rhs; gremlins are always there to pull you further down