PDA

View Full Version : Ditching drill brief

Indfly
24th Jun 2007, 13:24
Hi All

Doing a study on the Ditching drill briefs/call outs being practised in the Offshore Helicopters around the World.would like to know:
1.Is it done religiously every flight?
2.What is the call out?
3.Do you think it helps/has helped?

Rgds

Indfly

roundwego
24th Jun 2007, 15:54
Doing a study on the Ditching drill briefs/call outs being practised in the Offshore Helicopters around the World.would like to know:
1.Is it done religiously every flight? Only if we are ditching.
2.What is the call out? "Oh SH*T!"
3.Do you think it helps/has helped? No, but it's kind of instinctive.

Sorry, but it is Sunday afternoon, nothing happening and I am bored.

OneManBand
24th Jun 2007, 20:33
First questions regarding AS365 maintenance costs, and now questions on ditching drills.

What offshore activites are you planning with your Dauphin, Indfly ??

The activities may dictate the complexity of ditching drills, their regularity and any survival gear required.

e.g. ... private flights offshore in the UK require little more than a "lick and a prayer", however, regular offshore flights for the oil industry require briefings before every flight, specific underwater egress training, survival suits and so on.

If you're prepared to specify a little more I'm sure you'll find a wealth of useful information from the contributors, in return.

OMB

BaronG
24th Jun 2007, 21:59
1.Is it done religiously every flight?

Religiously? You mean irregular and when you do do it you only pick the bits you like and ignore the rest? Not that it matters since no one agrees on what the right bits are?

No, it's not done religiously, thank God, it's done properly instead.

BG.

Indfly
26th Jun 2007, 19:51
Ok guys...here goes.Just doing a study(quite independent of As365N maint-One Man Band) cos I find that yes,the ditching drill brief is explained to the pax,Pilots are carrying out Egress drills/recurrent training .But do we(the various Offshore Helicopters) have a Ditching drill brief with mnemonics??

After having flown fighter planes many decades ago,I still remember the "Ejection drill"call out with its mnemonics, as it was burned into us.But I find that such a concept with regard to Ditching is not drilled into us(at least out here).Yes,we are aware of the actions.but is merely being aware/having to think out the actions enough at that crucial moment?add to that panic,rush of cold water and darkness.

So in order to know the prevalent procedures being followed around the world and extract some nuggets to improve our SOP, would like to know:
1.If a Ditching drill is being practised,What is the call out?
2.Is it called out in every flight?is a dry ditching ever practised
3.Do you think the "Brief" helps/has helped?

Cheers

Indfly

Geoffersincornwall
27th Jun 2007, 03:59
This is a serious issue. In those countries where the oil company is strong enough and has a good safety policy then a video brief of all passengers is carried out in controlled and effective environment (not standing around the helicopter in the rain - which also happens).

This quality of the video brief is also important - it's a safety video not a promo film for the oil company.

Shell is one company where every flight is properly briefed and many others have the same policy.

A good briefing combined with good quality (OPITO standard as per OGP) underwater escape training is the best survival tool you can give any offshore passenger. Check out www.ogp.com

OGP provide extensive assistance to oil companies engaged in the use of helicopters. Engage with them and you will get a good idea of what should be done.

G

:ok:

Indfly
27th Jun 2007, 17:33
Thank you for the pointer.

Fly safe

Indfly