PDA

View Full Version : flyimg a N registered A/C in UK

520n
23rd Jun 2007, 04:17
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if you need a UK license to fly an N registered a/c in England or is an FAA license all you need.

Curtis E Carr
23rd Jun 2007, 04:53
How do you think an American Airlines pilot would fly his machine to the UK if he had to have a UK (JAR) license?

Bravo73
23rd Jun 2007, 07:34
Flying privately, you'll need an ICAO PPL to fly either N or G reg in the UK. Both FAA and JAA PPLs are recognized ICAO PPLs.

For flying commercially, it's much more complicated... :uhoh:

HTH.

nigelh
23rd Jun 2007, 09:17
but then you cannot fly abroad...even s ireland ...unless 2 things match....ie same licence as reg , same reg as country etc you cannot fly faa licence , G reg machine outside UK. .....or other way around ...simple really.

Vertical T/O
23rd Jun 2007, 10:39
Not sure if that last statement is true. I had a converstion about this recently with some other pilots and they seem to think the Irish and UK aviation authorities have an understanding to allow this.

I have a freiend who was recently ramp checked by the IAA when he was flying a G reg Squirrel on an FAA Private in Donegal and they said all was OK.

Any theories anyone?

md 600 driver
23rd Jun 2007, 10:50
has it not changed since JAA/JAR you could always fly in your own country/region on a faa licence now with JAR/JAA all JAR/JAA countries are your own for licence purposes

nigelh
23rd Jun 2007, 10:54
maybe Donegal is North Ireland ?

HillerBee
23rd Jun 2007, 11:27
Donegal is in The Republic of Ireland. The Irish and UK have no problem with flying on a FAA license. You don't have to worry at all, get your FAA PPL(H)!

* The Irish want you to have a FAA Medical Class II though.

520n
23rd Jun 2007, 12:30
What about flying commercially? Can you fly an N registered a/c with the FAA license or do you also need a JAA license as well?

Bravo73
23rd Jun 2007, 19:54
Like I said already, that is much, MUCH more complicated.

You're opening up the proverbial can'o'worms/hornets nest. ;)

Essentially, you can't do AOC Public Transport work in this country in an N-reg aircraft. So you can't be paid if you've got an FAA CPL(H) by working 'commercially'.

N-reg aircraft can be flown corporately (for the time being) in the UK but technically, I guess that you could be flying on a FAA PPL(H) for that work.

If you want to be a commercial pilot in the UK, you'll need (at least) a JAA CPL(H). But, of course, you won't get a job with just a CPL(H)...

mountjoy
23rd Jun 2007, 19:59
What abput flying in ireland on an FAA cpl ? Can anyone help ?

Bravo73
23rd Jun 2007, 20:05
I would've thought that the same rules would apply.

You could only fly privately/corporately with a FAA CPL(H). But there's quite a bit of that going on over there...