PDA

View Full Version : EK new minimum TT requirement

crab angle
22nd Jun 2007, 15:05
Hello Guys! I heard that Emirates is considering reducing the minimum requirement of 4000 total time. Does anyone know if it is true?
There are a bunch of F/Os here in GF on 767 and 320 that could apply if it drops to 3500 hours.

Cheers

22nd Jun 2007, 16:19
As the head of training said at a training meeting last year, "I need pilots, not astronauts", say no more!

Yossarian
22nd Jun 2007, 17:02
I have heard the lowering of min requirements is being resisted from higher echelons, despite pleas from Recruitment.

TangoUniform
22nd Jun 2007, 17:20
It's real simple. Put some real meat into the pay and you will get all the pilots you need. Ah, but cheaper to just lower the mins.:bored:

Aussie
22nd Jun 2007, 20:36
Im sure youll see the mins lowered before a payrise!!

Thylakoid
23rd Jun 2007, 00:59
This hours thing ... I wonder where the bosses draw these minimums from.
Today's CRM freaks state that pilots shouldn't "dig" into their past experiences when solving a problem; therefore, it doesn't matter if a pilot is hired with 200 hours, since he doesn't need experience.
Even when airplanes were technologically "rougher," total times required were relatively less (EK had a minimum requirement of 2,500 hrs sixteen years ago).
So, they could comfortably hire pilots with a thousand hours in twin engines. Training would do the rest.

QNH1013
23rd Jun 2007, 09:49
Ahh but the piston 200 hr new hire would not get the jet command in 3 years then (as promised in recruitment). So, take in low time pilots and promote all existing F/O's and no DEC's. That the plan?

skywaytoheaven
23rd Jun 2007, 10:14
EK's min requirements are significantly higher than most major carriers already. I have 3500 TT and 1000 hrs jet time(A320) , that means I could apply to BA, + every other jet operator in the UK (except virgin who require 1500 hrs jet), EY, QR, + any other ME airline, CX, KA - basically anywhere EXCEPT EK (who require 2000 hrs jet). And 1500 hrs turboprop doesn't mean alot, thats a prop driven by a jet - but you wouldn't expect HR to know that!

cordy
24th Jun 2007, 10:43
The Middle Eastern Airlines are very very stupid to have such high hiring standards. THAT IS WHY THEY NEED PILOTS. We all started either on a Piper or C-172 and worked our way up the ladder to DASH8 or RJ or even B737/A320 but still they will not hire the pilots who have a lot of hours on a DASH8, they say it is not a jet aeroplane, TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL B.S.
A Dash8 or ATR is powered by a Turbine Engine but only the output power is reduced by a Reduction Gear Box to spin the Prop for efficiency.
If a company needs pilots in a hurry, allow all different qualified pilots to come to an interview. Spend some money on your pilots for training and make them better.

Your 2nd rant about hiring minima's in the ME in as many days bro. Quit sprouting BS & you'll find yourself taken a little more seriously. Companies have hiring minimums that are being reduced to levels previously unthought of - to reduce these minmums any further will court disaster. 4HP

Wildduke
24th Jun 2007, 21:38
... to reduce these minmums any further will court disaster. 4HP

4HP, no disrespect to anyone, however how does your theory work with regards to cadet programs? Are you trying to say that all cadet programs that have ever run worldwide are unsafe? This is how a LOT of very senior pilots flying in EK, EY and AA got their start. Why spoil it for the next generation?

CI100
24th Jun 2007, 23:47
The first officer that ran a perfectly good airplane (gulf air 072) into the water was a cadet with 200 hours on type.

BYMONEK
25th Jun 2007, 04:08
C100

It was the local Captain who ran it into the water, not the F/O. He was just along for the ride.

skywaytoheaven
25th Jun 2007, 06:08
CI100 I sugest you read the 072 accident report again.

My previous point was not to suggest there is anything wrong with Emirates high requirements, just to emphasise that with my present experience I can apply to nearly every airline out there but not Emirates, a company expanding faster than most airlines.

CI100
25th Jun 2007, 06:43
It was the local Captain who ran it into the water, not the F/O. He was just along for the ride.

My exact point, If the F/O was not a 200 hoursy cadet, and had some (much more) exp....he would of take the control and save himself along with full plane of passengers.

anyway this thread is not about 072......

and for your information I know about the report inside out, watched videos and listened to the types regarding the crash. Just finished a full day CRM course on it too.

Wildduke
25th Jun 2007, 13:13
I wonder if statistically more experienced pilots stay in the company longer, instead of the low time hour-building staff. They could be looking for the type of pilot that will see out the rest of their days in EK. Maybe thats why hiring minimums are higher?

Aussie
25th Jun 2007, 20:27
YEah but from what im told, who wants to live in India when you could live in Dubai!

Amin
26th Jun 2007, 02:47
shagtastic,

At the moment there are more than 10000 Indian student pilots only in India. The FO seats will be taken by locals.

atpcliff
12th Jul 2007, 05:02
Hi!

As of 2 months ago, India needed 11,000 airline pilots in the next 3 years. In 2006 they trained 150 in India. Also, the flight schools in India are in trouble as many of their Flight Instructors are leaving for airline jobs, with no replacements available. We (US small airline) were recruiting a 1000TT guy, who got an DEC CRJ job in India paying $100K USD per year.

China needs 9000 in the next 3 years. They currently train 1000/year.

cliff
KYIP

Stereolab
12th Jul 2007, 07:28
Recently got an EK invite for an interview. I fly to DXB every so often (freight)...so I have a good feel for the place. It's ok...but seems expensive for everyday items (food, cloths, cars etc).

Things concerning me about EK are:

1. I heard crews are getting only 8 DAYS OFF PER MONTH!!!
2. Inflation and the real value of local currency to the USD and Euro. Seems like many are leaving and going back to Europe because they are getting an instant pay cut because of the strong Euro.
3. Latest info on EK salaries? Is airlinepilotcentral.com accurate? If it is...that's a pretty low salary for living in Dubai with a family.

stereo

Stereolab
12th Jul 2007, 07:42
ATPcliff,

Regarding India flying growth...I don't think India can handle much more growth...if they do, there is going to be some serious accidents. They need new airports and ATC is extremely understaffed. Going into Mumbai is a nightmare...I've never heard controllers more stressed out in my life and seen so many errors...thank god for TCAS...you need it all the time in India.

I know a couple of expats over there and they are making great money but flying 6 days per week with 200 hr F/O's in the right seat. They want out. There are easier ways to make a living...(UPS, Fed-Ex, SWA).

Stereolab
12th Jul 2007, 09:48
atiuta,

Take a "hard look". When you click on "First Officer Salary" and "Captain Salary" this is what you get

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

We all know Emirates salary is 20840 dhs/month on the first year. How about 2nd, 3rd etc? Big fat donut....

That's my "hard look"...:ugh:

dessertdude
12th Jul 2007, 10:23
Stereolab,

As a first year without taking acco. you will be looking at $10.000 this includes the whole lot( utt,basic,flightp.,erp, prov.,) second year ad 3% and sofort. Catch is, because of introduction of flightpay its not 3% on the whole lot anymore:yuk:

Stereolab
12th Jul 2007, 18:27
dessertdude,

thanks for the professional reply:ok:

i maybe dumb, but i ain't stupid :} i just needed some recent info.

stereo

GoreTex
12th Jul 2007, 20:18
stereo,
I would trade my widebody command for any F/O position on a 737/320 in the states, if you fly longhaul cargo from the US to DXB it is madness to give it up to join EK, the good days in dubai are long gone.

cadidalhopper
12th Jul 2007, 20:45
GoreTex, You would give up your wide-body command at Emirates to earn $30,000 a year as a 737 FO in the states, wait 8-10 years for an upgrade and pay 29% in taxes to the US govenment? Wow, the desire to go there must be why the pay is so low there and so high here!

GoreTex
12th Jul 2007, 21:52
yes I would because after 2 years I get more, I know the states but you probably don't know the middle east.
I used to pay 55% tax and made 1500 us per month on a 737 and I waited 8 years for an upgrade.

Stereolab
13th Jul 2007, 07:05
GoreTex,
Thanks for all the info...I'm looking at all options. Some guys seem to really like EK and others are getting out.
Trying to get the real "pulse" of morale at EK...high morale? :confused: low morale?:confused:

cadidalhopper
13th Jul 2007, 09:03
55% of $1500? That’s $675 a month take home! I thought I had it bad! Fortunately you were able to collect food stamps for your family, assuming you were in the states. Not uncommon to see a regional airline pilot doing so.

Consider your sources Stereolab. I went from a right seat 737 job in the US never cracking the $30,000 a year mark and no upgrade on the horizon to sunny days in Dubai as a widebody FO.

I now sit at Emirates receiving a housing allowance that is valued at more then my yearly income back home. $30,000

$6000 plus a month, most of it tax free back home.
Yearly profit share. (I didn’t even know it existed until I joined… bonus!!)
Schooling for children.
12% Retirement fund if I tough out 7 years total from family and friends.
No sales tax.
No handguns.
No School shootings.
$15000 interest free car loan on joining.
Cheap Automobiles.
Maid to clean the toilets. (I pay her $5.00 an hour plus a tip.)
The list goes on and on.

Even a 10 year upgrade would put me ahead of the game back home.

It’s hot, it’s dusty…. There is construction everywhere, get yourself a good used 4 wheel drive. Sure the traffic sucks, although with the beautiful new toll road I can pay a lousy $3 a day to drive traffic free on the SZR road. Roads can be dangerous due to the traffic, but the traffic is much better then most major cities in the US that I have lived. (No drive by shootings!) Inflation is high granted, but my lifestyle here exceeds what my 30K US carved out for me back home. Yes locals get a little favoritism when it comes to the law, stay under the radar and you’re fine. Never got in trouble home, haven’t and don’t plan to here. The paycheck is worth the risk.

There is a concentrated effort on PPrune to discourage US pilots from making the move to the dessert. Fortunately PPrune is no longer considered a reputable information source by most. Demand creates worth I guess. The fewer applicants at Emirates the more the current pilots seem to think they are worth. I’ve never seen a group of people so excited about parking airplanes and a shortage of crews. I am here to tell you my US Comrades that considering the Airline Industry back home, this is the place to be.

See you at 41 OH!!! (I love it that you guys hate that.)

Yes go ahead, beat me up. I’ve watched the boys here do it to anyone who has anything positive to say about Emirates over the past few years. (Usually an American.) I’m sure I don’t know what I am talking about and I’ll learn to hate myself and my life for being here. You guys really need to look at the ladies here more.

I felt someone had to point out that it isn’t all gloom and doom in the sand box for guys trying to make an educated decision for themselves and their families.

GoreTex
13th Jul 2007, 11:15
stereo,
to come to dubai on a layover is one thing but to live here is another

Crinklstein
14th Jul 2007, 09:38
From July 2006 to date EK hired 350 pilots.

That works out as a hire rate of 29 pilots per month based on the current seniority list. Or 1 per day approximately.

atpcliff
21st Jul 2007, 05:52
Hi!

Just checked the website. Still at 4000.

Is that accurate, or have they not updated the website and it's actually 3500. I'm at about 3900.

Thanx!

cliff
KLRD

BIKKERDENNAH
21st Jul 2007, 09:10
SO CRINKLE

Do YOU THINK THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH CONSIDERING THEIR NEED FOR 500 PILOTS A YEAR???

:bored:

Blue-Footed Boobie
21st Jul 2007, 19:53
bikerdennah

no

FuelFlow
4th Sep 2007, 15:20
Short of our Minimum Hours Requirement?
Due to high levels of interest expressed by candidates who are close to our minimum hours requirements, we are pleased to announce that we will now accept and review applications from candidates for First Officer positions who do not yet meet our published minimum hours requirements.
Candidates who are up to 500 hours below total and/or multi-engine jet hours are invited to submit their applications and may be offered the opportunity to attend a selection programme in Dubai. Successful candidates must, however, meet published minimum hours requirements prior to joining.
Direct Entry Captain requirements remain unchanged.
:ugh::=

AAIGUY
4th Sep 2007, 15:38
Yet those typed on 2 different Boeings with 7000hrs still haven't been rang for an interview..

menard
4th Sep 2007, 18:22
Crinklshaft,

How many have left?

Candid analhopper,

Are you employing an illegal maid?

mgTF
4th Sep 2007, 18:49
hi, how much do you think will they consider 4000hrs on a crj900?

cadidalhopper: was that salary an average for the first year, all included? or was after some years of seniority? or with/without some benefit as per diem or extra hours?

thanks you all

5man
5th Sep 2007, 00:40
Even with the shortage of pilots in Ek, I don't think they are getting to the point of being desperate and hiring anyone who qualify their min requirement on TT flying time. I heard that a bunch of guys went for the interview not so long ago and half of them didnt make it first day. So that is still a 50% cut. Hopefully they will raise the $$$$ to at least match Etihad or Gulf.