PDA

View Full Version : cadet schemes

justjoshing
22nd Jun 2007, 13:57
How hard is it to get on a sponsord scheme, i mean what A levels do you need or even a degree.Im not doing maths or physics at A level but have GCSE grade B in each.

What Airlines do cadet schemes without the need for A level math or physics.My plan is basically to finish A levels then apply for some cadet schemes like netjets when i am 18 while working for the money to save for a modular route at OAT if i dont get offered a place on a cadet scheme.Any help would be great.

Thanks for everyones great advice.

GrahamK123
22nd Jun 2007, 23:01
You ask the same questions everyweek! Do you not listen when people answer you?? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

wannabe there
23rd Jun 2007, 11:32
Your plan seems to change EVERY day.. just look over your other posts that you have put on here over the last few days Josh.:ugh: And you said that you are currently doing your GCSE's so how come you know the grades already.. not been released yet have they?! perhaps you should be a physic not a pilot.:}

It looks like you want someone to say to you "yes, go that way, you will definatly be flying jets in two years if you do". The thing is, no body on here is going to be able to tell you what is the best way for you to become a pilot, there is so many differnt routes to take (and you have explored most of them on your other posts!). So whatever your next "here's my plan so far" is, there will always be pro's and con's... deal with it.

Just take the plunge mate, otherwise you will be a wannabe for the rest of your life!

captain_rossco
23rd Jun 2007, 12:33
Come on buddy! A-levels rock! New mates, new experiences blah blah blah! A degree these days isnt usually that vocational, but is shows dedication to something, never a bad idea.
A-levels will not get you into the right hand seat but are a pre-requisite for some cadet schemes, you are 17 amigo, and looking at some posts, dont quite have the metal to get into a jet without a couple more years life experience behind you yet.
Go and do your A-levels, and practice not asking for other peoples advice at varying intervals, just go for it.
I can guarantee you, that if I had said to the old man, "do you think i should borrow £40k to embark on a training scheme without any sort of a guarantee of work at the end of it", he would have said, "get out of my house immediately, I don't understand aviation, and therefore you're questions are wasted on me, moreover I just heard the words £40k and no guarantee in one sentence, that to me, makes you an idiot, good bye my son",
but guess what, I'm doing it, and I like it. Don't get me wrong I've had my 'oh sh*t' moments, but I love it.
You'll be 18-19 when you finish your A-levels, still plenty young enough to
sit in the RHS for 40 years, asking your captain as many questions as you like.

Regards

CR

Aviation Lemming

Adios
24th Jun 2007, 21:38
You've actually asked a new question, so I'll give my tuppence worth.

Airline schemes are incredibly difficult to get onto. Most of them require A-levels and many require very specific ones, maths and physics or a hard science before you can even apply. From what I can tell, the success rate is usually less than 10% of those that apply. I haven't seen the sort of maturity in your posts that would lead me to think your odds are even that high. The interviewers will chew you up and spit you out, so I echo the advice to get thyself off to A-levels then to Uni. Maybe once your parents see you have some patience and you can handle some responsibility, they will realize you might make it as an airline pilot and decide to help you with it financially.

Even having the required A-levels is not usually enough to get a sponsored seat because there are hundreds of people with university degrees that apply for sponsored programmes. Being at least three years older and a bit wiser and more mature, they might knock you and your A-levels out of the competition, so now there is a second reason to go to Uni.

Finally, if you've never participated in a pilot aptitude test, you owe it to yourself to make sure the first time you do it is not when you are competing for an airline cadet programme. It is daffy to apply to one of these deluding yourself into thinking you could be in the top 10% if you have never tasted what you are in for. The best £200 quid you might ever spend would be to get yourself over to GAPAN for the Pilapt testing. If you haven't got the money for it, then apply to the RAF and see how far you get with their testing.