PDA

View Full Version : RAF Role Demos

Windbag
22nd Jun 2007, 13:10
Just spotted on 'Secret' Intranet :suspect::

The RAF has been flexing its muscles for the public by giving a demonstration of 21st century air power in spectacular style at an air show in Kent.
The role demonstration concept for presenting 21st century air power, which was unveiled at the Biggin Hill Air Fair recently, heralded a departure from the more traditional presence which the RAF have had at public shows in recent years.
The 30-minute display sequence showed a strike capability involving Tornados, the air defence E-3D Sentry, Hawks in the training role, support transport provided by the four-engined C-130 Hercules and Chinook helicopters.
The Air Fair itself was officially opened by Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy, Chief of the Air Staff, who witnessed the performance of his RAF squadrons in the demonstration.

Air Vice-Marshal Chris Harper, Chief of Staff (Operations) at HQ Air Command, explained the background to the demonstrations:"For some aircraft types, the RAF has this year moved away from the more traditional style of displaying at air shows in favour of a role capability demonstration. The demonstration has been designed to increase public understanding of the role of airpower through its many spectra."The Battle of Britain Sword was awarded to the RAF Role Demonstration Team, recognising the excellence of the series of specially planned sequences that showed the Royal Air Force of today, flown so convincingly by the aircrews of RAF Commands:"Such a significant departure from the traditional approach is not without risk," Air Vice-Marshal Harper continued. "However, at the second major demonstration of the season at the Biggin Hill Air Fair, the RAF Role Demonstration Team was awarded the show's Battle of Britain Sword. The sword was awarded to the Team in recognition 'of the excellence of the series of specially planned sequences that showed the Royal Air Force of today, flown so convincingly by the aircrews of the RAF'."I see this award as a very positive indicator of the expediency of our new approach to displaying the RAF to the general public."Group Captain Andy Turner, Head of RAF Public Relations, explained how he believes the RAF is benefiting from this new approach:"The RAF is extremely busy on operations around the World with some 38% committed to or deployed away from base. Whilst there is no doubt there is a deep appreciation for our efforts and those of our sister Services, it is important that we take the time to explain what we do and why."Therefore, these demonstrations have been developed in order to put these highly capable aircraft and their dedicated, courageous and professional crews in context. The feedback we have received thus far indicate that the public really like them and want to see more of it. The next demonstrations will be at Waddington 30 June-1 July 2007, Fairford 13-15 July 2007 and Edinburgh 25/26 August 2007."

Some good piccies of the day too, looks quite entertaining. I'm guessing that this is the Sprite of Misadventure without the 'big screens'. Certainly looks pretty spectacular and shows what can be done with a little panache and some plastique.:}

Bismark
22nd Jun 2007, 13:26
The Fleet Air Arm have been doing such demonstrations for at least 30 years at Yeovilton.

WhiteOvies
22nd Jun 2007, 13:28
Saw an excellent role demo for free whilst on the M40/A34. Low flying by a Herc J with loads being parachuted out of the back over Weston-on-the Green. Always interesting and only the one near accident (on a lorry drivers part!)

Practicing for aforementioned Air Shows perhaps?:}

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jun 2007, 13:28
The RAF has been flexing its muscles for the public by giving a demonstration of 21st century air power in spectacular style at an air show in Kent.

The role demonstration concept for presenting 21st century air power, which was unveiled at the Biggin Hill Air Fair recently, heralded a departure from the more traditional presence which the RAF have had at public shows in recent years.

I thought that it was unveiled at Abingdon.

The demonstration has been designed to increase public understanding of the role of airpower through its many spectra.

Such a significant departure from the traditional approach is not without risk," Air Vice-Marshal Harper continued. "However, at the second major demonstration of the season at the Biggin Hill Air Fair,

Looks like a commercial partner could help share the risk :}

Second major demonstration and the first was at :mad:

Group Captain Andy Turner, Head of RAF Public Relations, explained how he believes the RAF is benefiting from this new approach.

The feedback we have received thus far indicate that the public really like them and want to see more of it. The next demonstrations will be at Waddington 30 June-1 July 2007, Fairford 13-15 July 2007 and Edinburgh 25/26 August 2007."

Edinburgh have they moved it from Kinross? Have they spoken to Edinburgh? has anyone seen any advertising?

Q. What did Southend, Biggin, Waddington and Fairford have in common that the SoA did not have?

A. Established venue and known market.

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2007, 13:40
Love the spin though - no mention of the near-career ending nightmare that was SoA at Abingdon :ugh:

I understand that the Scottish demo will be held at 'Kinlost :E

Compressorstall
22nd Jun 2007, 13:51
AA - you should know by now that "near career ending" applies only to those below - not above...

Windbag
22nd Jun 2007, 14:12
Come on PN, this is the MOD's own intranet site we are talking about:}, the same people that can't tell the difference between the Boeing & Lockheed JSFs (well, why call them both JSF....:D).

You can't be expecting the truth....can you??:rolleyes:

WB

Talking Radalt
22nd Jun 2007, 16:37
The Fleet Air Arm have been doing such demonstrations for at least 30 years at Yeovilton.
...but limited to a Junglie-based scenario. Whoop dee doo.
Pity they couldn't do the same thing when it really mattered, like in the opening days of Telic perhaps?

BEagle
22nd Jun 2007, 16:50
Whereas 40+ years ago, when the Fleet Air Arm had proper jets like this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Vixen.jpg

some of us were lucky enough to get 'ringside seats' at RN air power demos - in the 'Vixen's coal-hole!!

forwardassist
22nd Jun 2007, 16:53
Pity they couldn't do the same thing when it really mattered, like in the opening days of Telic perhaps?

So the RAF role demo will involve a Chinook toss-bombing the only medical BV then?:E

Art Field
22nd Jun 2007, 17:38
Live close to the airfield at Abingdon, general comment from neighbours who watched but did not visit the site [publicity, what publicity], was that the Air Power Demo very rapidly became boring since most of it consisted of Tornado's and an E3 orbiting at around 2000 feet with only the occasional low level rush by to excite the spectator. Perhaps it was somewhat livelier at Biggin?.

Min Decent Ht
22nd Jun 2007, 18:53
At the farse AKA SoA, the F3s and E3s were orbiting at 2000ft so they wouldn't drown out the 'entertainment' on the big screens. I believe the F3s CAP'd in the overhead for over 1hr 20 during the film. No tanks either. That's probably why one diverted to Fairford at the end.

Fox2long
22nd Jun 2007, 20:36
Why don't you dark blue accept the fact you don't have "fast " air any more and get on with what you're best at?

Evalu8ter
22nd Jun 2007, 20:48
"So the RAF role demo will involve a Chinook toss-bombing the only medical BV then?"
Apparently the crew wouldn't have been half as emotional if there had been any "toss" involved!! Backwards & down over the desert at night in a Chinny with 130% Tq pulled, Rad Alt unlocking at 30ft and sand through the centre hatch before jettison.....Now, if they'd only taken it as far as Iraq it would have put the "Bomber" back in 18(B) Sqn!
Still, you pickle one load....

Would make an interesting "role-demo" though!!

BolkowJunior
22nd Jun 2007, 20:53
Saw it at Cosford - Pity the Sentry couldn't have spotted the idjit in the microlight that spoiled the Arrows display ... (oh not THAT again...) If there were any locals not aware of the airshow like the idjit, it must have ruined their day!!!

mr brown
22nd Jun 2007, 21:06
BolkowJunior,

'Saw it at Cosford - Pity the Sentry couldn't have spotted the idjit in the microlight that spoiled the Arrows display ... (oh not THAT again...) If there were any locals not aware of the airshow like the idjit, it must have ruined their day!!!'

Any fine spotter would know that the Sentry's limitations to turn and burn are FL100 and above in the UK.:rolleyes:

Green Flash
23rd Jun 2007, 08:51
Saw a role demo last year? at RIAT - by the Lanc! Avro's finest comes battering down the display line and the west end of the airfield erupts. And judging by the way the bang was felt through the ground a few truck loads of Battle Noise Simulators (whaat?) were used. Incidently, I presume there are some wimpy, PC, H&S fluffy bunny bang generators these days? Not like detonating a few gallons of 5-star in days gone by.

Talking Radalt
23rd Jun 2007, 12:25
Apparently the crew wouldn't have been half as emotional if there had been any "toss" involved!!
Eval,
IIRC the only toss involved was the advertised weights for the loads....as prepped/stated by dark blue. :rolleyes:

:ok:

electric.sheep
23rd Jun 2007, 14:01
Always wondered who Evalu8ter was but the
"So the RAF role demo will involve a Chinook toss-bombing the only medical BV then?"
was the bait that he rose to:ok:

Dundiggin'
23rd Jun 2007, 16:01
I saw the role demo at Kemble Air Day:D last week and I thought it was pretty good. Lots of big bangs made it quite realistic. The only small criticisms would be that the GR4s could have made their low passes a lot faster and MUCH more noisier and that the Typhoon was not included. Well done Gp Capt Turner, plus the lads and lassies in the air and on the ground!! :D :D :)

PICKS135
24th Jun 2007, 09:44
Saw a role demo last year? at RIAT - by the Lanc! Avro's finest comes battering down the display line and the west end of the airfield erupts. And judging by the way the bang was felt through the ground a few truck loads of Battle Noise Simulators (whaat?) were used. Incidently, I presume there are some wimpy, PC, H&S fluffy bunny bang generators these days? Not like detonating a few gallons of 5-star in days gone by.
Heres the lads and lasses who made the bangs. at Kemble this year.
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=10;t=33721

and some nice pictures of the bangs

Green Flash
24th Jun 2007, 14:45
The Big Bang at the end (Tonka over the top) - Berluddy Hell!:eek::ok: Obviously expert bangologists!

green granite
24th Jun 2007, 15:14
This role play is not a new thing, there is a film of a Farnborough Air show (late 40's) showing Mosquitos bombing a specially built building on the airfield. The bombs were released over the top of the crowds and plowed into the front of the building nearly horizontally. I think it was a re-enactment of the Copenhagen gestapo HQ raid, brilliant stuff that was. :)

Dundiggin'
24th Jun 2007, 16:34
green granite..
Where can we find a copy of that film then? :cool:

green granite
24th Jun 2007, 18:14
Many years ago there were a series of VHS tapes called "Farnborough, The Golden Years" IIRC something like that any way I don't know if they are still available on DVD or not. I think it was on one of those that I saw it , I also knew several people (from my days in the weapons industry) who had actually seen it live.

Edited to add Amazon in fact have them on DVD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_d_h_/026-9690756-8110865?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=farnborough&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Big Sy
24th Jun 2007, 18:36
Big bang, every year at Elvington !:D

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
25th Jun 2007, 11:38
Group Captain Andy Turner, Head of RAF Public Relations, explained how he believes the RAF is benefiting from this new approach:
"The RAF is extremely busy on operations around the World with some 38% committed to or deployed away from base. Whilst there is no doubt there is a deep appreciation for our efforts and those of our sister Services, it is important that we take the time to explain what we do and why.

Sister Services? Your Brothers in Arms?
Sorry, I must be getting old. That said; I wasn't there at the time but mock attacks with ground pyros were a regular feature of the Air Pageants at RAF Hendon in the '20/'30s, as mentioned earlier. I do remember in the early '60s seeing (and hearing) a mock free fall bomb attack at the Finingley BoB Display. Loads of flame, a very convincing mushroom cloud and a near vertically climbing Vulcan.

AR1
25th Jun 2007, 11:56
St Mawgans TT18s used to do a similar thing, quite an impressive bird the Canberra -fast low (ish) passes and a wingover at the top of the pullup. A mock building would then collapse with a big bang.

The manouveres must have taken some flying.

Completely ridiculous theater of course...

Dundiggin'
25th Jun 2007, 16:22
green granite: Many thanks I'll have a look.

Tourist
25th Jun 2007, 16:31
Loved the Herc going backwards with smoke. How fast is he allowed?
Liked the Chinook.
Bored by the tornados. Agree they should be much faster or something.
Why no Typhoon?
Guess no Harrier for obvious reasons?