PDA

View Full Version : Connecting through Heathrow -- How much time to allow?

Eboy
21st Jun 2007, 17:52
I have a possible itinerary from the US to Heathrow arriving at Terminal 3 (United). My connecting flight is from Heathrow to Spain departing Terminal 1 (BA).

I have never connected through Heathrow and am not that familiar with the airport. I guess my baggage is checked through to Spain. What is involved in getting from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1? (Security, immigration, etc.)

My itinerary gives me a 95 minute window. Is that long enough on at 7 am Sunday morning?

Thank you for the advice!

Don Coyote
21st Jun 2007, 19:03
This link http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/LHR%5EAirport+Information%5EFlying+into+Heathrow%5EConnectin g+Passengers%5ETerminal+3+Connections/126ef79c8e5e3010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/ implies 55 minutes but I imagine that would be a little optimistic.
95 minutes will be closer to the mark.

redsnail
21st Jun 2007, 20:26
Couldn't tell you re immigration and security issues but 95 min should be enough. The terminals aren't far from each other and are interconnected by tunnels etc. (Although, that's ground side, so immigration might be an issue). Note, I've never done it so a connecting flight might be different.

Any way, definitely take note of the 1 bag rule. It's 1 bag. Not bag and notebook bag. Also, the liquids rule is strictly enforced. 1 see through plastic bag with max 100ml containers. You can have as many as you like so long as they all fit into the 1 see through plastic bag.

slim_slag
21st Jun 2007, 21:35
I guess my baggage is checked through to SpainI've seen a lot of posts here and elsewhere complaining that carriers are not accepting interline luggage like they used to. So I'd check that with United. If you have to pick your luggage up in LHR then anything could happen. Apologies for LHR in advance :)

spanishflea
21st Jun 2007, 22:26
Baggage - United to BA should not be a problem. Just make sure you show your itinerary, or even better your boarding pass if you check in online, to United when you check in with them.

7am is probably the worst possible arrival time to connect at Heathrow. You should be OK with 95 minutes. You will be able to get from T3 to T1 in 5 to 10 minutes by bus, airside, that is not the problem.

When you get off the bus you must reclear security. This is the problem. You arrive on the ground floor, and then go up a set of escalators to the security area. If the queue starts at the bottom of the escalators, the sensible thing to do is clear immigration (assuming you are eligible to) and clear landside security.

If the queue starts at the top of the escalator, you will get to your gate in time, assuming your United flight is not delayed at all.

manintheback
25th Jun 2007, 12:28
I transferred airside from T3 to T1 last year, handluggage only. Simple enough in theory on the bus and into the flight connections centre. However 95 minutes scheduled is way too short. It can be done but probably wont be. I had 2.5 hours between arrival and departure and missed it. (Inbound aircraft late to leave, long holding on arrival, then waiting for stand to become available and furthest possible gate from the connecting bus).

spanishflea
25th Jun 2007, 12:58
I've done T3-T1 and vv 8 times this year, and 95 minutes is an average connection time for me. Never missed the flight, and always have time for a shower in the BA lounge when arriving from the states as well.

Eboy
25th Jun 2007, 13:29
Thank you for your kind advice. I am going to try to get a longer connection, but if I can't, I'll go with what I have.

13Alpha
25th Jun 2007, 13:42
I'd have thought 95 mins should be enough from T3 to T1. As others have said, the terminals are connected, and if you can check your bags all the way through you should have no problems.

I had a short connection (1h25 mins) T4-T1 at Heathrow last Tuesday night. From doors open at T4 to BA Domestic "bag drop" desk in T1 took me 1 hour (including wait for baggage at T4).

Unfortunately said bag drop desk had now closed - but the nice BA people accepted the bag, albeit with a warning it may not make the flight and have to be sent on the next day. :)

Legged it down to the gate only to discover that while the plane was there, the pilot and FO due to fly it were still on the ground in Paris (due to some "exciting" weather in Paris/London areas).

Three hours later, we eventually departed.

So even if your incoming flight is delayed, don't despair - delays at Heathrow are such that your connecting flight may well be delayed as well... ;)

good luck,

13Alpha

HZ123
25th Jun 2007, 18:56
BA has admitted to having had 6000 bags that missed their respective flights last week. If your flight is into the latter part of July or the entire month of August that will not be enough time. I would have gone from the USA to Spain on IB I think. Having sought advise i am sure it will go without hitch.

Eboy
18th Sep 2007, 14:57
My trip date was delayed but I recently completed my itinerary. Last Sunday morning, 40 minutes from the arrival gate, through security, to the departure lounge, where I hung out until the gate was assigned. An upgrade to business class let me off the plane first, which helped. No backup on the escalators to T1 security, and maybe waiting 10 minutes in the security queue.

Two comments:

1. I didn't find any T3-T1 "tunnel." All the signs directed me to the bus, which was timely. But I would have preferred to walk.

2. The one-bag rule? Well, that is what the signs said, but it was not being enforced when I went through. About one out of four passengers had two bags, several with the roller-bag - laptop-bag pair. I decided to not check luggage, and felt like a chump for cramming everything into one roller bag. Also, the signs say to take off your shoes, which people did, but the security staff had you put your shoes back on before walking through the metal detector?!?

Anyway, all went well. My first time in the T1 departure lounge, which was surprisingly pleasant.

Thanks for your comments.

holdandmaintain
18th Sep 2007, 19:11
E-boy - for your reference, the T3-T1 tunnel is a landside only access. If you are connecting between T1/2 - T3 - T4 and you remain airside, the bus is the only option...

:)

ryansf
18th Sep 2007, 21:18
I connected from Virgin (T3) to BMI (T1) a few months ago...took me all of 25 minutes to go through passports, collect my luggage (2 bags) and walk to T1, before checking in again.... I don't understand any of the horror stories you read! Beware though...theres a long ramp up to T1 so build up some muscle first!

Cheers