PDA

View Full Version : N reg Kingair

thecoltster
21st Jun 2007, 00:00
Could you privately operate an N reg Kingair 90 on an FAA licence in UK/European airspace without a type rating?
Pilots would have plenty of experience and FAA licences that include other aircraft types.
Input appreciated....

Chilli Monster
21st Jun 2007, 09:50
Yes

You're flying in accordance with the rules of the country of registration and the pilots certificates held.

Where it's flown, in this case, is immaterial.

His dudeness
21st Jun 2007, 11:01
Hmmm, from what I hear, the especially CAA has a different view on this...
Call them, wonīt hurt.

Offtopic
a typerating and proper training for it is always worth considering. Even the KingAir can bite you... "plenty of experience" but not on a KingAir I presume?
If one can buy a KingAir and safes on 2 typeratings he just isnīt doing the right thing, IMO.

thecoltster
21st Jun 2007, 12:53
Experience would not be a problem....pilots have previous right seat Kingair time(on the model in question) early on in their flying careers but were never rated. Airframe would be second hand....Refresher flights would be planned but need to establish whether there is in fact a need for a type rating....

HS125
21st Jun 2007, 14:19
There is no such pigeon as a King Air type rating on an FAA pilot certificate UNLESS its one of the variants with a certified MTOW over 12,500LB.

You could attend a course of type specific training but unless I'm very much mistaken this doesn't result in your pilot certificate being updated with BE-90, BE-200 or whatever.

In my experience, the problem with calling the CAA on matters like this is that you get to speak to someone with te square root of absolutely zero knowledge of the FARs so this results in a quite predictable response to a question like "Can I fly a King-air without a type-rating?"

The caviat would be if you want to fly it under VFR in the United Kingdom FIR on your CAA/JAR licence. Then you would have to meet the requirements of that issuing authority to fly the aircraft and would therefore require a type rating.

The other consideration is that your insurance underwriter will be your big man. Even if the FARs say you dont need a type rating, the underwriter may insist on type-specific training and how often.

merlinxx
21st Jun 2007, 15:20
If it's your own airplane no prob, if you are employed then there is a prob under IRS rules. Under IRS rules you are supplying a commercial service, thus being rewarded for your time. Check with your owners lawyers. The UK CAA is checking validity of crew competency. Beware and make sure you are fire proof before flying. Check, check & check again. Good luck.

PS. No rating, no IR, VFR only no get out. You can call yourself a Pilot's Assistant, but regs still apply!

Miles Magister
21st Jun 2007, 17:05
Dont be daft. Get some proper training. Flying something as capable as a King Air without a type rating or equivelent is suicidle.

You can get good advice from www.camflight.com

PicMas
22nd Jun 2007, 08:07
We are operating an N-reg KingAir in Scandinavia, feel free to PM me with questions.