PDA

View Full Version : Royal Ascot is zzzzzzz

AlanM
20th Jun 2007, 22:05
:rolleyes:Only joking - just not the most exciting one ever seen on radar......!! :)

So are the procedures great (having already seen LHR easterly and westerly ops?) Any gossip from EGLT?

Bored of 125.625..... :)

verticalhold
21st Jun 2007, 12:37
Only been in on Tuesday this week. Very dull apart from the thunderstorms on Tuesday evening and the very lost pilot on Ascot tower (19:00ish that night)

Was the fixed wing over Ascot at 13:00 supposed to be there? There was much discussion amongst the pilots and ground crew about just how the CAA would remove his balls if he was in the wrong place.

VH

Bravo73
21st Jun 2007, 17:55
FWIW, the fixed-wing would've been the 152 (Reg, G-II, I think?) who also takes low level photos at the Derby. I heard him come in and out via one of the freelanes.

AlanM
21st Jun 2007, 18:24
We only have one rstriction placed on us regarding non-standard flights by fixed wing singles, and that is that they are banned between LHR and LCY.

It should have been with Ascot tower.

Bravo73
21st Jun 2007, 19:24
It should have been with Ascot tower.

The one I heard was. He came through just after I landed on the Tuesday.

That's not to say, of course, that there wasn't another plank on the day wondering straight towards the EGLL overhead! :}

AlanM
21st Jun 2007, 19:42
Nah - haven't seen any plonks in planks in the LHR zone for a few days......

(apart from the Farnborough inbound traffic who end up Fairoaks/Bagshot by mistake on an allarmingly increasing rate)

Are you on UKP36 then? If so, say hello to the former CabAir London 02 for me!

Reflex
21st Jun 2007, 22:42
Alan M, you wanted feedback.
I've done the first three days but it would appear I've escaped Friday.
LHR on easterlies - there is a potential problem at the crossover point for West End o/b and Bagshot i/b. Both are at 1200'. Vis was mostly good and it wasn't too busy on Tuesday but I'm sure this could be a problem otherwise.
Question - when LHR are on easterlies could we not use the old H8 that runs 2 miles south of H3 when routing from Batt to Ascot. That would be a starter.
West End o/b - we were asked to speak to Farnborough after leaving Ascot. This means changing transponder code once for F'boro and again for LHR Special, that means eyes inside the cockpit when we should be looking out. We used to have squawks tied to the Jockey No and didn't have to fiddle with the transponder.
Otherwise everything else went pretty well. Tuesday evening's TS was very spectacular - I haven't seen that much lightning in such a short time for many a year.
Lastly, many thanks to whoever was on Special who gave me an Ascot - BUR direct this evening. I know it only saved 5 mins but it felt like 20 at the end of a long day.
J20/10

AlanM
22nd Jun 2007, 12:12
Yep - without H3 on easterlies it makes it all trickier.

Not sure why the in/out H3 based route structure was changed. The good/bad news is that this the new plan forever.

PM any feedback to TC_LTN on here - who set it all up.

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Jun 2007, 09:13
AlanM I will pass your greetings on for you.

Dogs like flying
23rd Jun 2007, 10:23
I am extremely pleased to report that after:
being commissioned from the top,using professional crews,special event cat.,nsf Heathrow, very much security clearance,fantastic support from Ascot tower. That I still have my balls.:O
Many thanks to all of you who have helped us at Ascot,Epsom,Cheltenham,Goodwood.................These extensive surveys take about 20 mins and are extremely time sensitive.
I bet you didn't see our other aircraft working at 6000ft!

ph

verticalhold
23rd Jun 2007, 18:38
Dogs Like Flying;

See I told you you were famous. Thanks for a good laugh at Goodwood.

VH

AlanM
23rd Jun 2007, 18:47
Infamous more like.... unlike yourself.

A verifiable legend on 125.625, so you are....... :)
:D

Thanks BS! :ok:

verticalhold
23rd Jun 2007, 18:57
AlanM;

Aren't you going to miss the good old days of us lot getting lost on the temporary heli-lanes? (or in my case anywhere along H10) Think of the entertainment you guys are losing.

On Tuesday evening I missed a call from 125.62 because the TCAS was making so much noise as we all crowded into one small area while trying to avoid the big storm.

VH

PS. Alan PM me with some clear dates please. I've got quite a few quiet trips coming up. VH

Satcop
24th Jun 2007, 08:39
From EGLT ATC point of view it all worked well, even if traffic levels were down to 2004 levels.

EGLL SVFR were helpful, as always, and whoever was working when the thundestorms hit did an excellent job! As did the poor chap who had to cope with the temp closure of EGLW due to the AS355 shutdown on the platform!

The Farnborough issue was sprung on us once the event had started, there was no indication during the planning stages that they would require to work traffic exiting West End. Our initial response was the traffic is in the FIR it can choose who to talk to, however to keep the peace we decided to go along with thier "request". This together with the Bagshot/West end crossover will be addressed in the wash up meeting.