PDA

View Full Version : ATPL and CPL in the same country?

S5-Vinc
20th Jun 2007, 19:59
Is this true that if for example you pass the ATPL exams in Spain, you have to do the CPL also in the same country as you did ATPL?

Thank you,
V.

cirruscrystal
20th Jun 2007, 20:22
sounds like a load of rubbish. As long as you have your JAR ATPL exams you can do your JAA CPL wherever a school with correct accreditation exists.

mlee
20th Jun 2007, 20:33
Yea it is true, I done quite a bit of research before starting my CPL, I completed all my ground exams with Bristol so had to do my CPL course in England.

davey147
20th Jun 2007, 21:13
If you do your ATPL exams in the UK, you must do your CPL in the UK or another UK CAA approved school.

Ireland is the only country in Europe that allows you to get a CPL on UK ATPL exams.

There is a list of approved schools on the CAA website.

BlueRobin
20th Jun 2007, 21:25
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264122

ccopter
20th Jun 2007, 23:23
That is news to me and thankyou for bringing it to my attention - i was planning to return to the US to do my CPL in September and now i wont be! The regulation in this industry is mental!:ugh:

BlueRobin
21st Jun 2007, 07:08
You can go to the CAA-approved schools offering JAA CPL in the US, as set out in Standards Document 31 available on the CAA website.

blobber
21st Jun 2007, 19:00
It Depends. The UK wont accept other countries CPL. But other countries like Greece, Spain etc will accept CPL's from another country

BillieBob
23rd Jun 2007, 00:12
Yeah, but then certain 'other countries' will accept the tops from five Cornflakes packets for an ATPL, and it's going to get worse! Here's an idea for a competition - Make a catchy acronym from the phrase 'Easy And Substandard Aviation'.

BlueRobin
23rd Jun 2007, 07:08
EASA do not yet have direct responsibility over FCL :rolleyes:

Hufty
23rd Jun 2007, 07:35
You CAN do your CPL in the us if you want to - provided the school is approved for JAR training. I did my ground exams in the UK and CPL in the USA.

BillieBob
23rd Jun 2007, 19:18
EASA do not yet have direct responsibility over FCL Hence my use of the future tense!

JAR-FCL 1.065(a) requires that "An applicant shall demonstrate the satisfactory completion of all requirements for licence issue to the Authority of the ‘State of licence issue’". This is generally taken to mean that all requirements for the issue of a licence shall be completed in the state of licence issue (or at FTOs approved by that state).

JAR-FCL 1.065(b) goes on to say that "In circumstances agreed by both Authorities, an applicant who has commenced training under the responsibility of one Authority may be permitted to complete the requirements under the responsibility of the other Authority." In other words an applicant may complete the theoretical knowledge examinations in one member state and the flight training in another.

Currently, the only such agreement in place between two member states is between the UK and the Republic of Ireland. The fact that some states may accept exams taken in another member state for issue of a licence in their own state is a matter for the Authorities concerned but, without a formal agreement, the practice is not compliant with JAR-FCL and there is always a risk, however slight, that licences so gained might not be accepted as valid by other states. There is an increasing tendency for states to refuse to accept training that they see as non-compliant - recent examples being France, Spain and Sweden, albeit the training that was refused in these cases was for type ratings and not licences.

Completing the theoretical knowledge examinations in the UK and the flight training in the US is compliant provided that the US FTO is approved by the UK (as most are). However, you could not, for example, complete the exams in the UK and the flight training at the Sabena Academy in the US as the latter is approved by the Belgian Authority.

BlueRobin
23rd Jun 2007, 19:39
I think we covered this at least once in the thread I started a few months back, see the link a few posts up :)
BR