PDA

View Full Version : G-EMID/G-WMAO - When??

danthechopperlad
20th Jun 2007, 17:57
Hi,

I live in Northampton and we (was meant to be 1st June) are getting a brnad new P2i G-EMID (East Midlands Police Air Support Unit) to replace G-EMAS :E

Now i can understand that the delayed arrival of the new Met 145's may have hindered the introduction, but does anyone know whether it will be in service soon? The west midlands also have their new P2i due in service (it might be already) but observing at BHX a week ago it was still WMID. Are these still at Oxford? (I presume they are)

Thanks In Advance :ok:

Coconutty
21st Jun 2007, 11:55
Not much help on the G-INFO database - both shown as still being owned by McAlpine Helicopters anad awaiting C of A.

Rumour has it that the ( latest ) delay is due to late delivery of some of the Police role equiment, common to both aircraft, and that the aircraft might not be ready for flight testing and training until mid July (ish ).

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

scruggs
21st Jun 2007, 14:49
I saw on AvBuyer the other day that G-EMAS was up for sale, and is available from June 07 onwards. So providing police role equipment isn't delaying delivery, I'm guessing we will be seeing G-EMID fairly soon.

S.

ppheli
23rd Jun 2007, 07:08
EMID/WMAO - try "delayed until August plus". They have been complete a few weeks, bar one key item (same 3rd party item on each a/c) and thus parked up at Oxford....

EMAS - no longer available, sold to somewhere warmer with palm trees, but I beileve delivery out not before EMID delivered.

PANews
23rd Jun 2007, 20:42
Although it looks as if there were some delays in the original programme due to the EC145s of the Met the current delay is as stated above role equipment.

I made some enquiries in Paris to try and clarify the situation and it seems that the missing item is a low light camera.

The original supplier [ITT] got into some mess with the US authorities over some export irregularities last year and have been fined heavily and banned from exports since as a 'punishment'. Many of you will be aware that the US is 'hot' on export sales of some items [including FLIR] even to its 'friends' and as a result there is a scramble to finalise a deal with an alternate [non-US] source.

So if you are in the USA you can have one with the original ITT camera off the shelf [and to 'prove' the worth of the system I understand there are dozens in service] but not if you are one of Mr Blair's countrymen...

The aircraft systems are therefore effectively untried. One option is to deliver the airframe 'as is' but neither party would want to deliver or take an aircraft where there were likely to be major outstanding integration issues.

Meanwhile the customer for EMAS will have to wait a little longer.

danthechopperlad
23rd Jun 2007, 20:54
Thanks for the replies guys :ok:

Bit of a bummer both east and west have to wait together, and i'm sure the guys at oxford are waiting to get them both off to their respective bases :}

Any ideas where EMAS is off to soon? I'm sure the old gal 'll do them proud, a great machine, but not so at 3:00am over Northampton town centre :eek: Are they actually parked outside or inside the hangars at Kidders? I'm presuming they're on the tarmac. I know how to wing my way inside the airport, ive done it many times so i'll try and get a look sometime soon :E