PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism

Babablackship
20th Jun 2007, 09:52
I have been diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid. Scan by endocrinologist has confirmed it as Graves Disease; he has prescribed antithyroid drug carbimazole and beta blockers. However progress is slow; he has suggested radioactive iodine treatment if present therapy does not work. He is confident that my flying status will not be affected after radioiodine treatment. Would certainly appreciate any input, advice or prior experience with this condition by fellow ppruners.

Jetney
21st Jun 2007, 21:50
I know of 2 airline pilots with previous history of hyperactive thyroid leading to Graves Disease. One had the thyroid surgically removed and the other had radio iodine therapy. Their conditions stabilised sufficiently for them to return to airline flying. The one with the thyroid surgically removed had to take thyroid hormones for the rest of his life. The more fortunate chap who had radio iodine therapy need no further medication. I can't tell why but his thyroid was not totally destroyed and it still produce sufficient thyroid hormones to sustain normal function. Hope this info helps. Good luck...Jetney

gingernut
22nd Jun 2007, 08:05
Hi Baba, management of Graves disease is usually pretty straightforward, although a little protracted.

Three treatment options are available, drugs, radioiodine and surgery.

From what I've seen, treatments tend to be very successful, but usually "overdo" things slightly, resulting in the need for replacement thyroid hormones eventually. (It's likely that you will have to take a thyroid tablet daily for the rest of your life, and have your blood levels monitored every year or so.)

I guess that your physician is adopting a "wait and see" approach, which is reasonable.

Obviously you need to discuss things with your AME, but Jetney's post suggests that this shouldn't pose too many problems.

Hyperthyroidism can often cause problems with the eye's, and from a pilot's point of view, I guess that it is essential that your symptoms are monitored very closely at this stage, and it may be worth gently reminding your endocrinologist of the importance for a man in your position.

Keep us informed:)

Jetney
22nd Jun 2007, 09:15
Would love to provide more info, but lost contact with the 2 guys. Hope there a more guys out there who can share relevant info.

Babablackship
22nd Jun 2007, 10:49
Many thanks for the info. Will be talking to AME soon .

Raj Merlion
25th Jun 2007, 22:47
Most doctors reckon that it is better for patient to be hypothyroid that hyperthyroid; so they normally recommend radioiodine therapy to kill off the thyroid gland and then manage the " hypo " condition with thyroxin. As long as your condition is stabilised and your blood tests indicate normal T3/T4 hormone levels, I suppose you can fly as a flight crew. If not, class 1 medical will be denied. Hope this helps but mind you, I am not an AME !

SpaceNeedle
3rd Jul 2007, 09:54
Hi baba,
Carbimazole can cause a severe drop in white blood cells making you susceptible to bacterial infection. A family member had this unfortunate reaction called agranulocytosis; he had to discontinue carbimazole therapy. He was then prescribed propythiouracil which eventually controlled his condition. The down side, he has to remain on a maintenance dosage as his hyperthyroid condition returned as soon as he stopped taking the drug. He is not a pilot so no problem. However I did remember hearing about loss of flying status if one's thyroid had been surgiclly removed. Any one with more info on this?

Raj Merlion
4th Jul 2007, 22:12
As far as I know, one cannot fly if you have an overactive thyroid. Whether through surgery or radio iodine therapy should one's condition return to normal euthyroid condition I see no reason why one cannot fly. One will most likely be hypothyroidic after surgery or radio iodine therapy, so will be on thyroxin medication to maintain normal function.

Babablackship
5th Jul 2007, 06:44
Hi ShyTorque,
Certainly glad you're fine after that unorthodox self treatment; how brave! Well, I only lost 6kg in 2.5 months and fortunately, I had no throat infections, headaches, hand tremors, goitre or blurred vision. I had occasional mild indigestion, 2 to 3 bowel movements daily with loose stools, elevated blood pressure ( 160/110, sitting down ) and a racy pulse ( 80 to 150 at rest and 110 to 190 with light to moderate activity ). The company doctor diagnosed my condition as pre -hypertensive state going to a full hypertension. My family doctor recognised the condition as early stage hyperthyroidism, but sent me to a cardiologist to rule out cardiovascular disease. After an echo-cardio scan and tests, he ascertained my ticker as fine. Next the endocrinologist diagnosed the problem as hyperthyroidism and Graves disease was confirmed after a thyroid scintographic scan. The anti-thyroid drug carbimazole and the beta blocker metoprolol were prescribed, but my condition improved ever so slowly. Despite sticking religiously to the medication schedule and dosage, my T4 and T3 hormone levels initially came down to just above the upper limit of mormal range and for some reasons that puzzled my endocrinologist, they shot up again. The dosage was then increased to almost 80% of the maximum, but the hormone levels still hover a couple of units above the upper limit of the normal range. The therapy had gone on for about 2 months and it is indeed frustrating to see early improvement only to see a regression.

Babablackship
5th Jul 2007, 08:07
Oops, what happened to ShyTorque's post?

crvena55
5th Jul 2007, 15:04
And what happens is somebody has hypothyroidism (surgically was removed one hald of Thyroid gland becuse of knot that was there, but the knot was benign, and the other half is still ’’on its place’’) and take medication – thyroid hormone (for some time, but doctor said that maybe after some period medications won’t be needed anymore, becuse of the other half of gland that is still there), and then the lever of hormons (TSH, T3 and T4) is just normal? Can that person be Cabin Crew or not (if medications are taken and hormon leves are ok)? As I see on preivous post, most of you think that if lever of hormon is ok (even if that means taking medications) then there should be no problem being a Flying Crew – Cabin Crew? Is that right? Thanks :)

Raj Merlion
5th Jul 2007, 21:15
Baba, what are talking about? Did ShyTorque post anything here? Maybe the moderators removed it for PC reasons.

SpaceNeedle
7th Jul 2007, 09:53
Hi ShyTorque,
Were floating a red herring or winding up poor Baba? I had a fleeting glimpse of your post and thought of coming to it back later only to discover that it's gone!

Molokai
7th Jul 2007, 20:56
If it's true, what a way to wind somebody up...this is a medical & health forum!

Hawk
8th Jul 2007, 03:27
Jut a reminder that Ppruners can at any stage delete their own threads or posts..in this case there was no interference by moderators.

Thank you
M&H Moderators.

Raj Merlion
8th Jul 2007, 05:24
Hawk, many thanks for the clarification. As for Baba, maybe you can post the gist of what he posted and let us share his wisdom.

Babablackship
9th Jul 2007, 04:22
Hi Raj, thanks for your posts. ShyTorque alluded to some unorthodox approach which helped him tackle Graves Disease. Now that he has removed his post, he might have good reasons to do so. As such, I respect his desire not keep the post public in this forum and hence I will not repeat it here.Furthermore I did not save or print out his post, and in my condition the memory ain't too good. I hope others can share their experience with fellow sufferers of this frustrating condition.

Caboclo
9th Jul 2007, 05:49
I have Graves, and, like Baba, I also felt considerable frustration with the delay in the meds taking effect. In my case, I was grounded for about 8 months before my thyroid finally got back to normal. I'm currently still on the pills; my doctor is recommending the radioactive iodine treatment, but I'm putting it off. The iodine treatment is kind of "horseshoes and hand-grenades" in that it is not extremely precise. The objective is to kill off part, but not all of the gland. The lucky ones no longer have to take any meds, the others might need a small dose of one or the other, depending on whether the iodine treatment was a little too much or too little. I can't speak for the Euro authorities, but from the FAA's standpoint, the disease is not too serious; as long as the blood test shows the thyroid function is within the normal range and there are no side effect to the meds, then you're good to go. According to my AME, the FAA does not object to a one time treatment with the radioactive iodine, but if the condition requires continued doses of radiation, then the medical certificate would be suspended until the treatment is complete. Do some web surfing and you'll find lots of horror stories about the radiation treatment, and a very wide range of "alternative" treatments; there are those who believe the entire medical profession are quacks, and prefer to self-medicate with large quantites of "natural supplements" rather than take one pill prescribed by the establishment. On the one hand, the thyroid treatment uses a much smaller dosage of radiation than, say, cancer treatment. It's an outpatient procedure, with mild nausea being the only immediate side effect. On the other hand, radiation in any dose is serious stuff, and should not be undertaken lightly.

Babablackship
10th Jul 2007, 08:13
Many thanks Caboclo for sharing. My endocrinologist has also advised radioiodine therapy as one of the last resorts. It has been a frustrating two and a half months watching my T4 and T3 levels fluctuating up and down, puzzling even my endocrinologist. I still have a racy pulse and 2 to 3 bowel movements a day but I have regained some of the weight lost.

obgraham
10th Jul 2007, 17:08
Keep in mind, Baba, that radioiodine therapy is a well-established treatment that has been around for quite a long time. Sure, nothing's guaranteed these days, but the safety and effectiveness are well known, and are certainly less than the disease itself.
Though it isn't my field of expertise, I dealt with a number of patients who had the I-131 treatment, and don't recall any major problems.
Personally, if all was equal, I'd choose the cocktail over the surgery.
I would follow the advice of your endocrinologist regarding your specific case.

Raj Merlion
21st Jul 2007, 10:32
Baba,
From what I gather from aquaintances with same problem the treatment using carbimazole takes time. On the average it took them 4 to 6 months before they were declared euthyroid after which the go on a reduced dosage and then on a maintenance dose for about a year. One lucky guy's thyroid's problem burnt itself out; the other two's symptoms returned and they were again put on a treatment regime which prepare them eventually to undergo the radio iodine therapy. Hope this help you prepare yourself for frustration as your treatment gets prolonged.

Babablackship
26th Jul 2007, 01:04
Hi Raj & SpaceNeedle,
Thanks for your helpful posts. Have you any info on the side effects of PTU ( propylthiouracil )? My endocrinologist would not switch me over to PTU unless I stop carbimazole treatment for at least a month; he said that there may be contra indication if the two drugs are mixed.

ShyTorque
26th Jul 2007, 08:02
Babablackship,
Sorry to have caused consternation by removing my post. On reflection it contained personal information that I was not happy to leave on a public website. Also, I thought that others might be tempted to follow my example, which went against medical advice and might be dangerous to another person. :O

Babablackship
31st Jul 2007, 02:38
Thanks ShyTorque, hope your condition remain great after your self treatment. I will certainly not post any of the stuff from your earlier post. Cheers!:)

Babablackship
9th Aug 2007, 22:57
Hi guys,
Light at the end of the tunnel. After 3 over months of treatment with carbimazole, my T4 & T3 hormone levels dropped below the upper limits of the respective normal ranges. My endocrinologist is happy to declare me euthyroid and subject to a full physical by the AME, I am good to go as far as my flight status is concerned. The AME indicated that as my bp, ECG, blood tests, vision tests etc are all OK, my class 1 medical status certificate is restored. My thyroid medication and low dose beta blockers are OK for flying. Now comes the other hard part, requalification on the simulator, and line checks! Thanks guys for all your input and advice. To those who do have similar condition, patience is the key word as the treatment and recovery period is indeed protracted. Best wishes to all. Cheers!

Re-Heat
10th Aug 2007, 02:52
BBBS - good luck with it, and continue monitoring. It might be useful if I just mention what happened to me perhaps (I hold a Class 1 with no problem at the moment):

Hugely hyperthyroid, occurred within a week (but on reflection was using a tank of air quicker than others while diving up to 6 months prior).
Controlled with Carbimazole & Beta Blockers for three months.
Encrinologist recommended I-131 (though no idea why it arose, his experience considered it better to eliminate and control at my age).
Replacement thyroxine daily, but tricky to control, as I have massive thyroxine antibodies in my system for no apparent reason - endocrinologist therefore recommends controlling the TSH (stimulant hormone) rather than the T4 itself.
Fine now (3 years later), but very sensitive to incorrect dosage.

If you feel incredibly hungover when you are not drinking - it needs sorting.
If you feel irritable, and you argue with your partner - it needs sorting.
If it is not being controlled correctly and you don't feel 100% every day, suggest a TSH blood test.

I have just noticed you said that T4 and TSH were both high - clearly different from my case where they go different directions. I don't think there is much understanding of what actually causes these unfortunately - perhaps random viruses?!

Bob the Doc
10th Aug 2007, 12:41
Crvena55

Have only recently joined this forum so I hope you see this post!

Hypothyroidism can have a number of causes, often either the gland is not producing enough hormone despite adequate stimulus from the Hypothalamus (another gland that controls the function of many other glands) or there is not enough stimulation from above.

What has probably happened in your case is that with the abnormal gland producing lots of Thyroxine, the normal production of the stimulating hormones (TRH and TSH) have been suppressed (called negative feedback). Now the abnormal gland has been removed, it will take a while for the TRH and TSH levels to come up, after which time the remaining thyroid tissue will hopefully produce enough hormone to mean that you do not need to take thyroid replacement any more. You may find that your dose just gets smaller. If you are getting any of the symptoms that people have described for hypERthyroidism (essentially everything working too quickly, especially heart, breathing and bowels!) then your dose may need reducing. See your doctor again

Hope that helps

Bob

crvena55
10th Aug 2007, 14:32
Bob the Doc (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185974) ,

Thanks on your reply. Well after my operation my Thyroid gland was working just fine for some 1,5 years, and then when I went to have one check-up, my hormon level was low. So, I started taking medications with seeing my doctor every 2 months, and now my hormon level is ok (but I do take half of one medication every morning). I guess that my situation changed (from my thyroid working ok with one half, to the state when I need to take medication) when I had one really stresfull period in my life, and when I had so much bad things happening to me. And I know that stress is real big enemy of Thyroid gland. I am ok last few months (mening without much stress), and I hope that my hormons will be ok soon, and I still visit my doctor every 2 months.
But if I continue on taking my medication in orded to have my hormones on right lever, is that ok for Cabin Crew? Can I pass medicals with taking medication or any kind of mdication is no-no for Cabin Crew?

crvena55
10th Aug 2007, 15:02
Bob the Doc,

Thanks for your reply.
What happened to me is next: I had operation of Thyroid gland in March 2005, and then after operation for some 1,5 year the rest of my gland (2nd half) was doing just fine, without any medications. But then (I guess as a result of really stressfull situations that i had some 8-9 months ago), my thyroid didn't work so fine anymore, so my lever of hormones was less then normal, and I started taking medications. Now my hormon level is ok, but I still take half of medication every morning, and I don't have any side effects (and I see my doctor on regula basis, very 2 months)
So, is it alowed for Cabin Crew to take medication (to keep the lever of hormones normall) or is any kind of medication a big no-no for Emirates?

Raj Merlion
10th Aug 2007, 19:52
crvena55, your condition would probably be a minor case of hypothyroidism brought about by removal of the most active part of your thyroid gland. Well this condition is generally less problematic than hyperthyroidism. As long as it is manageable by medication, you should have no problem as a cabin crew member. The only thing about long haul flying is that you tend to forget to take your medication on time due to time zone differences and fatigue! So you need to work out a reliable medication management routine. All the best.

Jetney
24th Aug 2007, 22:03
Reheat, looks like your post comes only after seeing BBBS got better! He would have surely appreciated it had it been earlier.

BBBS, once you had it under control I guess you should look for alternatives as against surgery or radioiodine therapy as Caboclo had suggested.

Re-Heat
29th Aug 2007, 00:34
Yes, unfortunately, but thought someone else may find it of use if searching.

nurjio
10th Sep 2007, 12:07
Great thread. I have just been diagnosed with HYPER!. Am off for scans and x-rays soon, before starting the Carbimazole.

Looks like a few months gardening leave whilst hoping for a recovery. I'm a long haul CoJo and am missing it already.

Will keep posting updates.

nurj :}

Bob the Doc
10th Sep 2007, 19:54
Get well soon.

Babablackship
11th Sep 2007, 00:13
Hi nurj, best of luck with your treatment. The scan will indicate whether it is Graves Disease or other thyroid problems. Be prepared for a protracted period of treatment with carbimazole. The posts by Caboclo, Re-Heat, Raj Merlion, SpaceNeedle are especially helpful. Watch out for the side effects of carbimazole which I believe yout endocrinologist will brief you at length.

I am completely euthyroid now and my endocrinologist is slowly weaning me off carbimazole. My thyroid hormone levels are still monitored every month.

nurjio
12th Sep 2007, 07:56
Cheers guys, the fact that you flyers are out there, having experienced this 'peculiar' condition, gives me hope. :D

However, if the truth be known, I am feeling particularly miffed as, after 10 years in Big Airways, on the 747-400, my number has come up for an Airbus command, timed for early next year. My thyroid clearly does not fancy all those early starts! problem is, BA requires 6 months of un-interrupted flying prior to a command course.

B*llocks :} All this could not have come at a worse time.

Cheers for now, nurj

..edited to add, off for the scans tomorrow, and x-rays. Am on 50mg of Atenolol to slow my heart rate - AWESOME. No longer do I shake over those 3footers on the greens. :)

..oh, and as for the weight loss, (stone and a half) my wife longs to be hyper!!

nurjio
13th Sep 2007, 16:11
..which revealed a 1cm diameter nodule in the left hand lobe of my thyroid gland. Decision day tomorrow.

nurjio
23rd Sep 2007, 13:55
ENT man suggests a multi-nodular thyroid. On 40mg Carbimazole for 4 weeks to establish a 'modicum' of euthyroidism, then either surgery or radio-iodine treatment. Endocronologist next. Consensus so far that long term Carbimazole not for me given multi-nodular thyroid. Nothing sinister suspected - no need for fine needle aspiration biopsy.
What do you think folks? especially Bob the Doc.

Just had a thought, you guys with hyper had/have Graves, right? Am I the only one with nodules? It seems that thyroid nodules in blokes are much rarer. Am of for an isotope scan this week to track thyroid activity.

nurjio
4th Oct 2007, 19:16
Radio-isotope scan showed uniform uptake of iodine. Nowt sinister etc.

Carbimazole to euthyroid, then, hopefully, class 1 back.

Going to consider thyroid removal in 12 months time.

nurjio
27th Oct 2007, 16:35
Euthyroid. In to bat with the CAA for my class 1 back. Carbimazole regime continues.

Say again s l o w l y
27th Oct 2007, 22:45
Good luck getting it back. I'll be bashing on their door in around 8 months to get my class 1 back. Always nice to see people getting better.

Babablackship
28th Oct 2007, 00:41
Hi, great to know that the carbimazole regime worked for you. It did for me. However it was supposed to suppress the immune system, somehow something strange happened to me. When I was fully on the high dosage of carbimazole, I was very fit and illness free ( well, except for the hyperactive thyroid and its associated maladies ). However once I became euthyroid, I found myself more susceptible to flu and colds; I already had 2 bouts of that since being declared euthyroid! Anybody else had similar experience?

Re-Heat
30th Oct 2007, 13:46
Only on it for a short while before Iodine treatment, but no, I felt far worse under carbimazole - however - I was on a high dosage as the T4 levels had been off the scale.

Ongoing I tend to have non-specific gut complaints, probably linked to dosage variations.

nurjio
31st Oct 2007, 17:36
Cracked it!!! Got my Class 1 back after a mere 'hyper' 8 weeks. Just a currency sim, 3 takes off, there goes number 4 etc, and nurjio is back in the Dickens Bar - with a vengence. Awesome. Just an orange juice for me though :) Thanks be to the Endocronologist - top man. :D

Edited to say, I've had no snags at all - yet - on carbimazole.

nurjio
31st Oct 2007, 17:38
...by the way Baba', colds and flu? Hmmm, get your liver checked! :}

marty1468
21st Nov 2007, 01:52
HI Guys,
I've been diagnosed with Hypo about 6 months ago and am on Thyroxin 100mg daily. I'm currently finishing off my CPL and am wondering if this will affect my medical. The only thing i noticed was that my HR was very slow (around 48 bpm, everyone thought i was really fit haha) and i was tired all the time (still am but blood tests are normal now).
I'm told i have had Hypo for years and probably inherited it from my mother as she has it. I was a late developer so if there are any docs on board here, could that have been the reason and what could happen if i don't take the treatment? At least i'm saving heartbeats haha

Re-Heat
21st Nov 2007, 18:52
Research with mice suggests that you last longer with higher thyroxine doses, so definitely don't skip the pills!

Tell the Aus CAA in the first instance, and you will be advised to ground yourself until you are stabilised on a dosage (and are no longer tired!) - two blood tests that are stable on TSH and T3/T4 - or whatever you condition requires.

I don't think anyone knows truly why this develops, as the symptoms can be so mild in many cases (many old people are reckoned to be hypo and undiagnosed...) - it is an autoimmune-linked disease nonetheless...unless you have been playing with radioactivity.

Speak to your AME, as the docs and fellow sufferers on here can't answer to your whole condition based upon the text alone...and don't be tempted to fly without having stabilised and told the Aus CAA. They are - at least in the UK - extremely helpful in the medical department.

marty1468
21st Nov 2007, 20:51
OK Thanks Re-Heat.

I'll have a chat to my AME. I'm due to renew my Class 1 anyway.

My last blood test about a month ago showed that my thyroid levels are normal. This was after 6 months of taking the 100mg Thyroxin. I have to have another blood test in 6 months time and if everything is okay then i think once every year or two yearly. To tell the truth, i dont feel a hell of a lot different though. I guess i'm still tired but not dead tired anymore.

Does anyone know how thyroid function (either Hypo or Hyper) affects your health besides feeling tired or having a fast/slow heartbeat?

Re-Heat
21st Nov 2007, 21:13
http://www.endocrinologist.com/thyroid.htm

knox
22nd Nov 2007, 07:58
Hey Marty.
I too suffer from hypo was diagnosed with it about 8 years ago and have been on thyroxin ever since. I was mis diagnosed for years with docs saying that my weight gain, lethargy etc was all due to age and things just naturally "spreading out", needless to say it was a nightmare couple of years.
Now everything is much better and have had no probs with gaining medicals.

It does take a while for the meds to kick in and i dont think you ever feel quite the same as before but thing will get better.
Don't miss taking any meds you'll start noticing when you have, your body gets quite sensitive to the lack meds, oh yeah and my memory is cr@p now.... hey but thats probably just age.

I too would be keen to hear any storys from hypo's.

cheers

Knox

marty1468
23rd Nov 2007, 02:12
Hi Knox,

Thanx for that. I guess It's not that bad of a problem in the scale of things i could have. How old are you? I forgot to bring my wallet to work today. Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come hehe. I am 39 btw.

knox
23rd Nov 2007, 10:35
I'm mid 30's.
I forget wallet, watch, keys, sometimes my name and i know i'd forget my :mad: if they weren't in a bag.

gingernut
23rd Nov 2007, 11:03
Marty 1468 - the usual caveat of discuss your medical issues with your AME/GP applies, but from what you've posted so far, it is likely that the need for treatment of hypothyroidism in your case will be lifelong.

It's very unlikely that your condition/treatment will affect your life in any adverse way, (bit of a generalisation I'm afraid.), other than having to remember to take your meds. Regular monitoring is the key to successful treatment, and once stable, you will require blood tests once or twice yearly.

Does anyone know how thyroid function (either Hypo or Hyper) affects your health besides feeling tired or having a fast/slow heartbeat?

The list is endless, but the aim is to keep your thyroid function normal! So keep taking the tablets unless otherwise advised.

And remember to claim for your free prescription pass:)

Cheers and good health....ginge:)

(Sorry just noticed you live in Aus, do you have to pay for your tabs there?)

marty1468
1st Dec 2007, 08:34
HI Ging,

Yeah nothing is free here anymore :bored:. In fact , i've just come back to Aus after 9 years working in Saudi and my how things are expensive here now. I would say on par with Blighty with the cost of living and housing now.

Might have to go back to Saudi to earn some decent cash.

nurjio
4th Apr 2009, 14:09
..just been diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer, after a total thyroidectomy for my original thyrotoxicosis!! - removal of thyroid was planned as a toatl cure for hyperthyroidism. This is a bolt from the blue as my consultant was not anticipating pathology to reveal any abnormal thyroid tissue. There were two microscopic foccii papillary tumors. So, 15 months after regaining my class1 and Command in BA on Short-Haul - my license is pulled again for further investigation and possible I - 131 treatment to mop up any remaining thyroid cells in my body. Bugger.

...on the +ve side, this would not have been detectable without histology so I could have gone on a few years with this growing without my knowledge. So early detection = excellent prognosis, but, as ever, with this suff going on in your body you never know. :eek:

I'll keep posting with updates.

Rgds to alll thyroid sufferers - although mines gone now!!

Re-Heat
8th Apr 2009, 15:40
Bad luck Nurj...but also good news it was caught so soon.

My consultant advocated I131 total destruction of the thyroid as a non-invasive way to remove all potential hinderances to recovery - might be useful to get a referral to my chap (NHS) if you need it - let me know if you need the details.

Did you have regular samples taken for pathology post-surgery then?

If it helps, I131 treatment was not only totally painless, but extremely quick. You get a session with the nuclear physicist who gives you the radio-nuclear pill, and basically have a chat for as long as you want before you are comfortable enough to take the pill. (I did not realise this, and thought it strange that he was prepared to answer all my off-point questions about nuclear treatment and radio-nucleides...!) Only issue is staying away /sleeping away from partner / children for 10 days or so, and using different bathroom facilities, as the wastes comes out in sweat, urine etc.

nurjio
15th Apr 2009, 10:37
..Re-Heat, thanks for that. I have no thyroid left, so post surgery, I have nothing left to take a sample from. The discovery of PTC was from the routine Histology of my hyperthyroid gland.

The reason my thyroid was taken out was for a total cure for hyperthyroidism. I was on carbimazole for 1.5 years and it was felt that long term exposure was not good. Good job really, as the cancer would not have been discovered - therefore, I have been, and could have still been ,flying a commercial service for BA hosting PTC. Not anymore though. I-131 is scheduled for May 26th - a 4 day process in isolation at Addenbrookes, Cambridge.

nurjio
28th Apr 2009, 08:09
...now, this is just unbelievable. My wife has had a lump removed from her neck. (Last week). She has just been diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer too - more advanced than mine. Gulp. The consultants are incredulous that man and wife have, within 3 weeks of each other, been hit by the C disease....

Prognosis still good though.......my kids are paranoid. :ooh:

Begining to think that our house is built on a nuclear waste dump.

nurjio
26th May 2009, 19:05
Right now I'm in the RAI room at Addenbrookes - isolation. Have got my computer and T-Mobile dongle (what a Godsend). Dose of I-131 swallowed at 14.00hrs. Scan on Friday, then results 8th Jun. I no 'mets', just uptake where the thyroid was and decent thyroglobulin result, am hoping for 4-6 weeks to euthyroid, then Bingo. It's been 2 weeks plus without any medication for hypothyroidism and it's rough going. After scan on fri I can take T3/Thyroxine together for a week to kick start recovery - can't f@ckin' wait.

Say again s l o w l y
26th May 2009, 20:31
How's your Mrs?

All the best.

nurjio
28th May 2009, 12:17
Mrs is OK ta, she's had her thyroidectomy, 2cm papillary tumour and 8 infected lymph nodes removed, is on the low iodine diet and stops the liothyronine (T3) next monday ready for RAI 15 Jun in the same facility that I'm leaving in about 3 hours - hurrah!

What a freak show we present though? Slashed necks together.

We've been married 26 years this year, been through thick and thin together, including 20 years flying Harriers and surviving that - the padre never took the walk up the garden path!! But nothing could have prepared us for this. It's awesome in the way it plays on the mind. The battle is, I believe, 90% mental and we're getting there.

Cheers for now

I'll keep posting to keep a record going should anyone wish to refer to what is an intriguing experience.

Say again s l o w l y
28th May 2009, 12:28
The main thing though is you're both still here and fighting away.

I can confirm that mental attitude makes an enormous difference to how you cope with it all. It made a massive difference to me anyway.

All the best to you both.

nurjio
27th Jul 2009, 12:44
I said I'd keep posting so here I am. Got my Class 1 back after Post RAI scan showed no metastasis. 4 weeks it took to recover my blood to Eutyhroid status. CAA sanguine, less than 1% chance in the next 5 years of lung metastsis leading to incapacitation - bingo. Quick Sim - Quick recency fliight with a Trainer and whamo, back into the Short Haul fray at LHR. Typing this on the Champs Elysee, Paris on a layover. Wife also doing well. She's clear too and back to work.

Cheers to all who offered advice and support.

nurjio
3rd Feb 2010, 16:56
Update:

Challenge scan clear, thyroglobulin score showing no thyroid activity, still flying, feeling good.

If anyone out there has a thyroid issue please pm me

Koezy
20th Feb 2010, 07:00
dear mrs n.

thyroid cancer link to breast cancer is suspected. evidence (you know the internet garbage can) suggests increased risk once you have thyroid cancer treatment. unclear if it is the radioactive iodine or just a straight link. (doesnt appear to be a link for women the other way). personally i think it is the sudden and complete onset of menopause about a nanosecond after they removed my thyroid that triggered the breast cancer mite. mine is a story about looking out for yourself. advice was dont worry about the lump in your throat, multiple tests show it is benign. i then asked for removal of affected half as i didnt want to deal with it being a problem later. hey, guess what - its follicular thryroid cancer!.... goodbye other half, go via lead room for radioactive I and a year and a half to get stable. after finding internet suspected link to breast cancer kept a good lookout. ending up down that sorry path, lost another year of life. all good now. look after yourself Mrs N and dont take any amount of specialist advice that 'its benign' as ok if they or you find a breast lump...get it out / off.

ps i worship the ground my gp and surgeon walk on. (pathologists - well, ya got it wrong repeatedly. nuf said). gp and surgeon looked after me wonderfully once it was clear what was happening.

pm me if you want to talk about it.

now back on track to gaining CPL Heli and blowing my super on a small heli some time soon. K.

lita
8th Mar 2014, 00:39
Does anyone know if hyperthyroidism can be an issue for Emirates Cabin Crew process? I'm literally desperate!!! although I have my thyroid controlled, my TSH is normal at this moment. if someone can share experiences I would appreciate :) thank you

Irish21
31st Mar 2014, 07:27
do a search on "adrenal fatigue"....adrenal gland experts say that if you have thyroid issues you also have adrenal gland issues and that you must heal your adrenal glands first before you heal your thyroid issue as you can damage your thyroid. Stress and poor diet can cause issues with our adrenal glands = pilots life style while at work. search "adrenal fatigue symptoms" and "adrenal fatigue hypothyroidism".

Our adrenal glands regulate our blood pressure, blood sugar, cortisol and adrenaline levels and over 50 hormones...they are a big deal and often over looked by most doctors as the root cause of health issues.

To heal your adrenal glands you need a good clean diet no sugar, alcohol, junk food, caffeine as all of these put more stress on the adrenal glands, you may also need vitamins/minerals/hormonal balancing.

see the book Eat to live and the authors PBS special on you tube on how a good clean diet can heal the body as it will give you a good idea of what type of clean diet will help you to heal your thyroid issue or at best prevent you from having to take any meds that might cause issues with your flight medical.

check into a cortisol saliva test

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Radgirl
31st Mar 2014, 18:27
Whilst both the thyroid and the adrenals share a common controller - the pituitary - and so we often see problems with both, there is no evidence that the adrenal controls the thyroid or vice versa. It would turn the pathology of pituitary disease on its head. We can easily measure the output of the adrenals so if this were the case we would see it and we dont. Anyhow, failure of the adrenals is called Addisons disease. It was common in the 1800s with TB and the like. Death follows in a month or so. We dont see many people with thyroid disease coming to grief if under medical supervision.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but uncontrolled hypo or hyperthyroidism is dangerous. If your thyroid is over or under active you need to see a doctor. Advising people to change their diet instead is just :mad:

Irish21
31st Mar 2014, 23:55
Radgirl, I am not saying to not go to a doctor....the opposite...but I am saying that a diet change is necessity also to build the immune system back up which will also heal the adrenal glands and in turn may prevent the person from having to take meds long term for their thyroid issue. A diet change such as eliminating sugar, junk food, caffeine, alcohol etc is needed to heal the adrenal glands and flood the body with much needed vitamins/minerals this is just common sense.

Addison's disease is not the only adrenal gland issue...Adrenal Fatigue is the early stages of Addison's disease. Adrenal fatigue is our bodies check engine light to make changes in our lives. Adrenal Fatigue was discovered over 100 years ago, doctors back then took it seriously as this issue effect peoples health greatly just as it does today. Sadly though the pharmaceutical companies want people to pop a pill for life so they make more money vs first seeing if a diet change will heal the person's immune system which in turn will heal other health issues. Also doctors are not educated enough in med school about adrenal gland issues.

I personally suffered from adrenal fatigue without knowing it for many years and it was not until I found a doctor who not only tested me for it but also changed my diet to a plant based diet did I get better.

There is a connection between adrenal fatigue & hyperthyroidism just do a search on the net.

Radgirl
1st Apr 2014, 16:03
Ah yes, the conspiracy theory that the pharmaceutical industry is deliberately hiding data to maximise their profits combined with medical schools around the world too stupid to train doctors properly raises its head again to explain a theory that runs counter to basic science. The other problem with your hypothesis is that the drug involved is good old thyroxine which I suspect has never been under any patent. It is a generic tablet that doesnt make the pharmaceutical companies diddly.

Sorry, dont buy it.

Irish21
1st Apr 2014, 22:02
Radgirl you seem to be angry over this topic, not sure why?

Anyway Pilots are very methodical about doing their due diligence at finding the right answers to their health issues as our health is the most important thing with regards to our job security/long term career. I have every confidence that these pilots (& cabin crew) who wrote on this thread will do plenty of research on adrenal fatigue and how it correlates to their thyroid issue which will guide them to a return to good health. ;)

Radgirl
3rd Apr 2014, 18:11
I am not angry at all, just sad.Those regular posters will remember a parallel thread on statins - that statins were dangerous, that the drug companies only made them to make money at the cost of peoples' health, that all doctors were under trained, and that doctors were taking backhanders and bribes from the drug companies.

All untrue I might add, and since then several more national bodies have endorsed widespread use of these generic drugs that are out of patent.

I dont have a problem with anyone doing whatever they want in health terms, but those of us who are medically or paramedically qualified have a responsibility to point out when something is advised which has no scientific basis and indeed may be harmful. People can then try the snake venom or eye of newt on the basis of informed consent.

The problem with your hypothesis is that endocrine medicine is a massive nidus of international research. There are literally hundreds of researchers and trainee doctors desperate for publications looking for new angles. If these abnormalities of the adrenal gland existed, they would have been measured, published and accepted.

Lets leave everyone to make their own mind up - as you say they are intelligent and indeed educated people. If you want to persuade me PM me any research and I will happily look at it

obgraham
4th Apr 2014, 02:13
I posted on this a day or so ago, then had second thoughts.

Suffice it to say, Radgirl has nicely summarized the view of the vast majority of physicians.

Given the choice between therapies which have withstood the test of time, research, and experience, versus whatever woo treatment pops up on the internet or late night TV, people should think carefully about their choice.

Irish21
4th Apr 2014, 03:28
Hippocrates the "Father of Medicine" said "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".....Hippocrates a physician back in 460BC knew full well food was what kept people healthy and what made them sick. He was a great observer and after much observation he advised people not to eat animals with slit hooves especially swines because they stood in their own bacterial laden deification causing people to become grossly sick. He also advised people to eat lots of veggies, fruit, seeds/nuts. Many religions adopted his food eating ideas for health safety which some stand still to this day. "Medical historians generally look to Hippocrates as the founder of medicine as a rational science. It was Hippocrates who finally freed medicine fromthe shackles of magic, superstition, and the supernatural.
Hippocrates collected data and conducted experiments to show that disease was a natural process; that the signs and symptoms of a disease were caused by the natural reactions of the body to the disease process; and that the chief role of the physician was to aid the natural resistance of the body to overcome the metabolic imbalance and restore health and harmony to the organism". How did Hippocrates do this back in 460BC long before pharmaceutical companies came into profiteering I mean the picture? By directing people towards eating a healthy diet.

How do you ignore the adrenal glands based on simply saying there is no "research to substantiating adrenal fatigue"? Have you check with the largest Med school libraries, Library of Congress or the American Medical Journal or other medical journals around the world and found absolutely nothing on adrenal fatigue? If you did you would find plenty on this very subject all the way back to the 1800's when it was discovered how important they are to our health and well being.

The Adrenal glands sit DIRECTLY on top of our Kidneys....our kidneys are one of the most important organ in our body...would you not think that the adrenal glands being placed on top of the Kidneys to regulate our blood pressure, blood sugar, cortisol & adrenaline levels (fight or flight mode) and over 50 hormones including all the female/male hormones are the lest bit important? Would you also so bluntly assume that the glands would not get fatigue by working to hard? fatigued by not fueling the body with healthy rich in vitamin/mineral food? After all look what happens to your kidneys if you eat a poor diet = you can die!

Adrenal fatigue was discovered in the 1800's...why do you think our soldiers upon returning from WWI and WWII were sent to "Rest and Recovery Hospitals" to deal with their "shell shock" (now known as PTSD = adrenal fatigue)...because doctors knew back then that the adrenal glands could become fatigue due to continual stress and poor diet something all of these soldiers endured along with soldiers today...and they knew to heal the soldiers adrenal glands the soldiers needed a good clean healthy diet to flood their body with much needed vitamins/minerals, plenty of rest & recovery and plenty of sleep to get their adrenal glands back in proper working order. Something pilots can relate to = stressful job, lack of sleep a set bed time on the road/getting less then 8 hours sleep, poor diet (hotel/airline food).

Remember the old saying: You are what you eat...popping a pill is simply a band aid in most cases...eating a health diet WILL build your immune system up while at the same time detoxing your digestive system which house 90% of the good/bad bacteria in our bodies (and detox all organs including the kidneys, liver, blood stream etc)...detoxing helps the good bacteria fight off the bad bacteria = keep you healthy!!

Changing your diet is not "snake oil" as you put it. :ugh:

What is the first thing a doctor tells a patient with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart issues or other health issues that can easy be corrected = CHANGE YOUR DIET!! Why? Because changing their diet works better then a pill!!

Changing your diet to a healthy diet will improve your immune system, detox your organs, flood your body with vitamins and minerals including your adrenal glands and return you to good health with LOTS of energy but most importantly it will allow you to NEVER stress again when going for your flight medical!!! ;) Why would you not try a change in diet to not stress about your next flight medical? ;)

Irish21
4th Apr 2014, 05:14
ps Hippocrates was 90 years old when he died..pretty astonishing to live to that ripe old age considering he was born in 460BC. Clearly he knew a good diet led to a long healthy life! read books like eat to live and see the authors pbs special on you tube...it may just open your mind to how you can achieve good health again.

obgraham
4th Apr 2014, 15:32
We all make our choices. Best of luck to you, Irish21.

C172Navigator
6th Apr 2016, 08:57
Does anyone on here have recent experience of the CAA and hyperthyroidism?

I have been on carbimazole and propranolol just over a week ago. I'm feeling good now but the endocrinologist says that is because of the medication. I'm going back in two or three weeks, in the meantime it'll be golf for me.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this recently and how did your AME deal with it? The CAA seem to have handed everything off to the AME's. I found a thyroid document on the CAA website, it would be much nicer though to be able to call someone though.

Also, what diet or supplement changes did you make?

Thanks.

EternalNY1
28th Apr 2016, 02:15
I had Graves Disease diagnosed a few years prior to attempting to obtain a commercial license.

It did not hinder me. I had mine completely ablated via I-131 and was on a full replacement dose of Synthroid/generic that kept my thyroid levels stable and in the normal range.

Looking back, I would have probably preferred to have it partially ablated, so as not to need the daily replacement medications for life.

That being said, as long as I listed "previously reported" on my medical renewals, it never was a problem.

That was 20-some years ago and it has not caused me any major problems. The synthetic thyroid hormones do their job as long as you are diligent in taking them. Even with missed doses, TSH is slow to move, so missing taking them one morning won't have any noticeable impact from my experience.