PDA

View Full Version : type rating on FAA PPL ME license

Riso
19th Jun 2007, 17:37
hi guys !!

i heard something about getting Boeing or Airbus type rating having got only PPL and ME licenses...is that true ? would i be able to do the base training and simulator training on the US and then check it here down to Brazil if i get hired to some company ? i`m not sure where did i get it, but i`m sure that i heard about it...thanks a lot !! best regards!

youngskywalker
20th Jun 2007, 09:33
I shouldnt imagine any company will employ you with a ppl and type rating on a jet transport!

Riso
20th Jun 2007, 19:32
yes i know but here is the thing...having got all licenses issued by ICAO Brazil, i would be considered by FAA as a PPL Multi engine so i could do the base training using FAA Licenses ..and then when i get back to my country check it on to my ICAO licenses once in the company, is that possible ? thanks best regards!!

BelArgUSA
20th Jun 2007, 22:12
Oi Riso -
xxx
Yes, indeed, you could get an aircraft type rating, i.e. B-737, on a US FAA Private Pilot Certificate. Be aware, however, of a few things -
xxx
- If you do not hold another turbojet type rating on that US certificate, such as a CE-500 Citation rating, the FAA will require you to do a flight test in the aircraft itself, which is quite expensive in the case of a B-737...
- If you do not hold an Instrument Rating, your PIC privileges will be restricted to VFR flights (below 18,000 ft in the US)...
xxx
A long time ago, I trained a rich kid, California millionaire, who held a PPL, for a Learjet type rating, he was too lazy to study for a written CPL exam, and he got to hold the LR-JET rating on his PPL... thereafter, he often rented that same Learjet to fly to Aspen, have lunch with his girlfriend, flights for which I was occasionally his co-pilot...
xxx
If you want to do that, do it, why not, in a B-747, I can help you for this...
I did not know the ladies of Grotto Azul in Porto Alegre, insisted on more than a Porsche or BMW to drive them home... or maybe you own Gremio FC?
Exercise extreme caution to land a jet on avenida Farrapos... !!!
:)
xxx
Bom dia, Che...

Riso
22nd Jun 2007, 13:45
Seems that you`ve been here for some time lo :) :}

So i think i understood that but..having got IR rating in Brazil i wouldn`t be able to transfer it to my ICAO license ? what about citation II ratings ?

BelArgUSA
22nd Jun 2007, 20:54
Oi Che /
xxx
Yes, if I was you, I would do the CE-500 Citation or Citation II rating first...
Numerous flight schools offer such in the USA for about $5,000 all included... takes about 10 days to 2 weeks at the most.
xxx
Regarding your IR rating in the USA, there is a special FAA written test for holders of foreign ICAO IR, to validate these on a US FAA certificate, which will read then as follows -
xxx
"Private Pilot"
"Airplane Multiengine Land CE-500"
"Instrument Airplanes"
"US Instrument Rating Test Satifactorily Completed"
xxx
That written exam can be studied in about 2 days, takes about 2 hrs to take the written test on the third day - suggest you read US FAR Part 61 on the FAA internet site. For the flight test in the CE-500, the test will not be any different, just IFR proficiency with the rating ride, which is standard.
xxx
Then, if you still want a B-737 rating, you then qualify for an all simulator course (no test in the aircraft would then be required since you have the CE-500 type rating) - If I recall well, PanAm Academy Miami offers the B-737 rating for about $5,000-6,000 - takes about 2 to 3 weeks to do...
xxx
If you had to fly the B-737 (having no CE-500 prior to the B-737 training) you would have certainly paid $5,000 extra - so in practice, if you do as I suggest, you get both ratings, CE-500 and B-737 for the same expense than doing a B-737 directly (requiring a flight test in aircraft)...
xxx
For your info, I suggest the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area, rather inexpensive for motels and food, and just next to FLL you have Pompano Beach, which is a community of brasileiros, and can enjoy the churrascarias.
xxx
Remember to get a TSA authorization to train in airplanes in USA, they dont know that Lula da Silva is not a friend of Osama Bin Ladin... PanAm Academy can assist you for that - call Mr. Matt Thierney at the PanAm Academy.
xxx
What in hell will you do with a PPL with a B-737 rating ???
xxx
Sim, conosco POA muito bem, meu esposa naci no POA. Eu pode falar Portuņol.
Sorry for Boca - Gremio 2-0 (Copa Libertadores) - I hate Boca, I am for River
If any more help needed write your questions, I live in BsAs but often teach at PanAm Academy - but for 747, and know the US FAA rules quite well.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails - Chau