PDA

View Full Version : BMI mainline sim check

Blinkz
19th Jun 2007, 10:37
Hey guys,
Have a sim check on A320 with BMI coming up so just thought I'd see if anyone around here has done it. Any advice/hints/tips would be welcome!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Jun 2007, 08:51
Hello mate.

Did they not give you a brief? Usually they send you one via e-mail before you do the sim ride.

One piece of advice I could give you is make sure your instrument scan is up to speed. If you don't know already the sim ride will be in the A320/A330 sim. You will be expected to fly manually with no use of the automatics (no flight director, flight path vector, autothrust or autopilot).

In a nutshell, you take off, level off, do some GH, for example steep turns, climbing and descending turns to specific altitudes and headings, then you are positioned for a radar vectored ILS to land. The sim is then repostioned on an intercept heading and you have an engine failure. Once you have sorted that out (trim the rudder and maintain level flight) you fly the single engine ILS to land again.

Make sure you know the numbers from the brief, pitch power. And remember anticipation with the lag you get on jets engines when flying with manual thrust.

Good luck with it.

RotaxG1
20th Jun 2007, 11:10
CAT3C Autoland......Airbus KING!

Blinkz
20th Jun 2007, 11:47
CAT3C,
Thanks for that, yea I've got the brief and so have absorbed all that! I'm lucky that I've aready done a sim check in an A320 with Aer lingus so know vaguely how to fly them!

As for the climbing and descending, whats the best power to use for climbs? Just hold speed and climb up to the requested level? or is there a set climb speed/power?

I've not done an eng failure in a bus either, I've heard the rudder is very powerful so you need to be gentle. Do we just need to control the aircraft? and not do any QRH/ECAM actions?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Jun 2007, 12:35
Rotax Golf One, very much a novice sir, you know that. I am still on my honey moon period, with lots to learn!

Blinkz, seem to recall using idle power for the descending turns and climb power for the climbing turns, i.e. pop the thrust levers in the climb detent. Just need to control the aircraft when the engine fails, however, it shows you are thinking about it, if you ask for ECAM actions.

Good Luck.

Blinkz
20th Jun 2007, 12:43
Thanks mate, although I thought you could only use the climb detent if A/T is being used?

FlightDetent
20th Jun 2007, 14:29
The manual thrust levers on A320 have four distinct positions:

IDLE - self explanatory
CL - for climb power
MCT - for max continuous when required
TOGA - full rated thrust for take-offs (simplified) and go-arounds

When using autothrust, the levers should be set in CL detent as a rule, but the autothrust select appropriate settings as required.

SinBin
20th Jun 2007, 17:13
Blinkz,

Is worth getting some practice in before hand, flying the airbus is very different to anything else, overcontrolling is the big problem that most people have. CRM is also another one.

SB

Blinkz
20th Jun 2007, 17:23
SB,
I've got an hour in an A320, I did a sim check with Aer Lingus in one. So know how they fly. However in that check we didn't climb in GH or do a SE ILS so am just wondering if theres anything I need to know for that lol.

altho, why is CRM a problem in a bus? it just a basic profile we have to do for BMI.

SinBin
20th Jun 2007, 18:50
CRM is important in any multipilot environment. Even a sim check, albeit very limited (flaps, gear and calling for checks). It's a very simple sim ride. Good luck with it! Maybe see you on the line soon, good people all round at bmi!

Jumbito
5th Jul 2007, 13:49
Hi!
First of all sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread, couldnīt find more relating to BMI Mainline.
I want to apply for a position as a F/0 but it seems thereīs no link via internet. Just found this mail address of the Head Office:

Donington Hall
Castle Donington
Derby
East Midlands
DE74 2SB

Is it correct?Is the only way to apply?If yes any addressee for recruitment like Director of Ops or Chief Pilot?
Thanks in advance for your answers!
Best regards everybody!

Blue Baron
9th Jul 2007, 11:30
Jumbito, the address you want is:

Mr Brian Burns
Resources Manager
bmi flight report centre
Queens Building
Heathrow Airport
Middlesex
TW6 1DY

Send a covering letter with your latest CV. Selection is in three parts:

1. CV sift
2. Interview (usually 3 on 1)
3. Sim ride on A320 or A330

If you get through this then you will most probably go into the hold pool. How long you will stay in the hold pool is not certain, but with further Mid-Haul and Long-Haul expansion later this year I doubt it will be long.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Deano777
9th Jul 2007, 20:16
Hi Jumbito

I recently applied to BMI mainland, I had an email back stating that they had more than enough CVs to cover recruitment for 2007 so will therefore not be accepting any more at this time (3 weeks ago this was)

By all means try mate, but expect to be disappointed, I hope you're not though :ok: