PDA

View Full Version : QSP(H) CPL(H) bridging to ATPL(A) theory credits

ternbill
19th Jun 2007, 07:33
Having trawled LASORS I've drawn a blank on the following...

Does anyone know if it is possible to bridge from CPL(H) gained from the rotary accreditation scheme to ATPL(A) theory credits if the CPL(H) is not 'open' by a type rating?

LASORS is clear that a UK QSP(H) with CPL(H) gained by military accreditation can qualify for ATPL(A) theory credits, but does not state whether the CPL(H) has to be 'open' or not!

Alex Whittingham
19th Jun 2007, 09:36
My reading is that you can't have a license issued without a type rating and, to get around that, the CPL(H) is issued to UK military pilots with a 'military' type rating on it. I'm assuming this 'military' type rating is only for license issue and cannot be used on the equivalent civilian aircraft.

You certainly need to have the CPL(H) issued to bridge across to ATPL(A) so it seems to me that, if you physically have the license - even with a 'military' type rating, you can start the bridging process. If you have not yet got the license issued you cannot start.

ternbill
19th Jun 2007, 10:58
Thanks for the reply,

The problem is that I would like to start my CPL(H) exams under the rotary accreditation scheme with a view to bridging accross to ATPL(A) theory credits on completion, however...

I have recently changed military aircraft type on exchange overseas, and whilst I meet the requirement for 500 hours on a military type (2000++) and am in current military flying practice, I will not have a QHI check or equivalent on the type with 500 hrs + within 12 months of applying for the licence on completion of the H exams to qualify for a military type rating. As such, by my understanding, I will not be able to 'open' my CPL(H) in order to bridge accross.

It seems that I will therfore 'fall between the cracks', as I will not be able to benefit from the ATPL(A) theory credits accredited to military helo pilots with sufficient hours and operational experience, which I have in abundance, all because I will not have a helo type rating (albeit military) on completion of the reduced Helo exam syllabus, despite remaining in current miltary practice.

I have written to the CAA and await a reply, but any advice would be welcome.

Alex Whittingham
19th Jun 2007, 12:04
I see the problem. Your choices are:

(1) Do a civvy type/class rating on a Robinson or similar
(2) Write to the CAA and plead your case.

What type are you flying on exchange?

ternbill
19th Jun 2007, 16:59
Alex...I've sent you a PM with all the details, however, for the sake of the thread, its a PANTHER, the military version of the civvy DAUPHIN.