PDA

View Full Version : "Training Syndrome"

Kamelchaser
18th Jun 2007, 21:06
Just been watching Air Crash Investigation on Nat Geo. Interesting theory I had never heard about before relating to the Tenerife collision between KLM and Pan Am 747s in '77. Main cause of the accident was the KLM Capt's decision to roll without a take off clearance. One of the theories proposed was that he suffered from "training syndrome". As an experienced sim instructor, he spent as little as 20hrs a month on the line. In the simulator, he acted as Capt, F/O, ATC etc, controlling the whole scenario. The line blurs between reality and simulation, and with this much focus on the sim, he may have slipped into the scenario of believing he controlled things during that critical (and rather rushed) takeoff phase.

I don't want to focus on the reasons for that accident; instead I wonder if the risk of this scenario could play out in our neck of the woods? Some of the nationalities/customs/personalities that drift to the top of the training and checking roles in EK lend themselves to this threat.

And before you throw the racist card at me..it's pragmatism and realisim speaking. It's just what hapeens here. I've seen it with my own eyes on the line.

So..open for your (hopefully intelligent) thoughts.

Payscale
19th Jun 2007, 06:44
the answer to your predicament would be. SFI in the sim and TRI in the aircraft. Sounds good to me....