View Full Version : The big move

ostendo mihi via
18th Jun 2007, 11:30
Hello downunder,
having checked out CASA and a number of other resources and had a good look through this forum, I am hoping one or two of you may tell me your views in respect job opportunities in South Australia. I am still at the pre PPL stage (much to my frustration) and am working hard towards a permanent move to or near Adelaide. Visa's should be striaght forward with the wife being a nurse and a brother already out there. I am curious as to what to expect in terms of opportunities once qualified. To be fair, I don't have aspirations to fly for major airlines, and will be content with the type of flying that most aviators use to gain experience to move onto more lucrative employers. Flying for the joy of it, whilst working hard, enjoying the scenary, turning my hand to anything necessary to keep the boss happy etc etc. I am not in it for the money.
My questions are, whats the flying training like in South Aus and what are the chances of single or twin agricultural/tourist, sight seeing/floatplane and flying of that nature. Maybe moving into instructing once experience permits. It's difficult to get a definitive answer to questions like this but I value the opinions expressed here.

Thanks and goodluck.

Angle of Attack
18th Jun 2007, 11:58
If you are persistant and love it then sure youll make it no matter where you want to work. I wouldnt trust a website I would go there and check it out thats what I did, its the best way! ^^ Good luck!

ostendo mihi via
18th Jun 2007, 12:04
Thanks AoA, I am planning a visit in the next few weeks and compiling a list of flight schools in the area, there does seem to be some significant differences.
Getting to grips with the cost is of course a big priority, hopefully the sale of my house will leave a few spare pennies to invest.

Wing Root
19th Jun 2007, 03:01
Here are some companies that fly in SA that employ pilots with around 200 hours. You won't find any in the Adelaide area apart from meat bombers maybe.

Air Wilpena
Opal Air
Wrightsair
Central Air Services (Cootamundra, NSW)

ostendo mihi via
19th Jun 2007, 11:55
I've just found out what 'meat bombers' means, that brightened my day. Thanks for those tips Wing Root, had a look at them and I'm starting to build up a good picture of whats out their at the moment. Now, how to conceal the finances from the wife...