PDA

View Full Version : T6 Texan recent accident?

Waldo Pepper
18th Jun 2007, 10:12
Heard a rumour that a UK based T6 has been involved in a prang recently. Thankfully no injuries, but substantial damage to the aircraft. Is this true, or just misinformation?
Cheers

treadigraph
18th Jun 2007, 12:24
One suffered a r/h gear collapse at North Weald a couple of weeks ago, while taxiing I think - saw a pic of it on another site, the offending gear leg wasn't visible so I'm not sure if it folded "normally" inwards, or actually broke a leg. Presumably the wing was damaged as well, but no apparent bending of the prop, so hopefully engine and prop were OK.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Jun 2007, 03:05
I helped a T6 on its back once. It was ok until flames started coming out of the exhaust. I've never seen a fat boy move so quickly before. he tried to get out of the side window, but couldn't cos his parachute was catching on the frame. He at least had the presence of mind to go back into the cockpit, remove the parachute and then wriggle free - still quite an accomplishment.

Meanwhile I was holding a cushion over the exhaust trying to starve the fire of oxygen when I looked above me only to se the gas cap :uhoh: I figured if it started leaking, the dude was on his own. As it was he finally got free, the services came and I got them to pour H2o2 over my arm, because you can't be too certain about blood in the 21st century.

What really pissed me off was that I got a mention in the NTSB prelim report, but by the time it became a FACT I was on the cutting room floor :*

I did my bit that day. :=