PDA

View Full Version : Glow sticks in hold luggage?

luigi_m_
17th Jun 2007, 14:37
Very random question here, but does anyone know the laws/guidelines on taking those glow sticks in your hold luggage that you snap to activate? Or should I contact the airline (BA) for reference?

Rainboe
17th Jun 2007, 14:42
How about leaving them at home? These are the things that don't 'glow', they 'burn' don't they? Remember the Valujet DC-9 ending up as a smoking ruin because of oxygen cannisters heating themselves up a couple of hundred degrees. It's just not worth it.

alexj83
17th Jun 2007, 15:06
Glow sticks light up due to a chemical reaction, there is no burning of anything involved.

For a definate answer I would contact the Airline, policies on these things can vary widely.

Alex

tilewood
17th Jun 2007, 17:14
Try snapping one when you go through security and see what happens!! :eek:

17th Jun 2007, 21:05
The chances are that airport security will take them off you.
Although they are totally harmless when used as directed, they do contain liquid chemicals (including hydrogen peroxide), which is an oxidant.

With the current security at airports, I would be very surprised if you were able to take what is basically a tube containing unknown chemicals on board an aircraft.

ladyflyby
17th Jun 2007, 21:56
Are you off to a festival? What country is it? I am sure they'll have glowsticks!!

RevMan2
20th Jun 2007, 08:51
Contact BA.
Tell them that you intend transporting an unknown combination of chemicals that emit heat when mixed and see what they say.
On second thoughts - don't contact BA.
USE COMMON SENSE.
DON'T EVEN THINK OF TAKING THEM.