PDA

View Full Version : International Driving Licence in DXB

aviationdoc
17th Jun 2007, 07:06
I am coming out to DXB in a weeks time.A friend mentioned that they needed the above recently for Abu Dhabi-does anyone know whether this applies for DXB.I assume that I will be fine with my UK licence?
Is the driving out there getting any better?

ironbutt57
17th Jun 2007, 10:22
They need an international licence last time (year ago) i rented a car there

picu
17th Jun 2007, 11:06
Some changes have come into place recently. As far as I know now all tourists, including Brits, need an international driving licence to rent a car.
Are you sure you want to drive here though?:sad:

AirNoServicesAustralia
17th Jun 2007, 12:13
Oh come on guys, its fun! Been here 5 years and I find driving in Australia now boring and frustrating. I find I am sitting at a roundabout in Melbourne, sooo frustrated that people won't go when there is a gap big enough to fit 3 cars in the UAE. Where else can you do 160 kmh on the highway legally (well sort of the cameras on Sheikh Zayed rd in Abu Dhabi emirate don't flash till 160 even though speed limit is 120), apart from Germany and the Northern Territory of Oz. Just get in the groove by not using that stick thing on the side of the steering wheel (I think its called an indicator), do double the speed limit everywhere you go, flash your headlights if anyone is not doing twice the speed limit, change lanes 6 times per street block (or even better drive the whole block straddling 2 lanes), and do U-turns from the outside lane even if the inside lane is not planning on doing a U-turn. Good luck!!!

ironbutt57
17th Jun 2007, 12:50
confusing issues when driving in the gulf:

1) why are there those confusing white lines all over the road??

2) sometimes when two roads cross each other there is a funny box with colored lights on the corner

3) why do they put that annoying little stick on the left side of the steering wheel and it makes a green light flash in my instrument panel

4) why cannot i let go of that big wheel in front of me when i need to answer the phone

5) if the expat wasnt in my country, the accident wouldnt happen

Aussie
17th Jun 2007, 14:16
YEah, need an international drivers license :(

Good post AirNoservicesAustralia!!! COuldnt agree with ya more... After driving in the Middle East, Aus becomes very boring!

jinglied
17th Jun 2007, 17:01
I prefer boring.

Sure hope my family survives this. Scares the ****E outta me, every day. :bored:

Jinglie'd

Aussie
18th Jun 2007, 09:27
Yeah if i had a family Id probably be thinking like you mate :)

FlyingCroc
18th Jun 2007, 10:19
The way these morons drive you need no license, Scary:eek:

Quokka
18th Jun 2007, 11:28
ANSA... they've now put a speed limit on that particular road in the NT. :{