PDA

View Full Version : The Best Routine Doing The PPL Full Time

wire12
16th Jun 2007, 22:50
Does anyone know what is the routine of a student doing the ppl full time. I understand you do a briefing, a flight, a debriefing and ground school. That would take about four hours. What do you do to fill in the rest of the day eg another 3 hours or so.

When you did your ppl how many flights, briefings, hours of ground school did you do a day. How many hours self study????

Would you be able to tell me what routine would a full time student have.

Do students have one flight a day or two flights, how many hours a day do they study, how many hours of ground school do they have a day?

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

wannabe there
16th Jun 2007, 23:47
Hi Wire

I am off to OFT(don't laugh!!) in Oct to do their 3 week PPL course. Considering that I will have to fit in 45 hours of flight time, briefings and debriefs plus all the groundschool/exams, I reckon that this will take up most of my day... and if not, I hope there is a decent bar nearby!! Just out of interest, where you thinking of going??

maxdrypower
17th Jun 2007, 10:47
I did my PPL in four weeks , the best advise to give anyone especially those going to the states (simply because they are more likely to finish in four weeks wx wise). Is to get all the exams out of the way in the uk prior to going out , that way you have nothing but the flying to concentrate oin and the evenings are your own to enjoy , this is obviously my own opinion

Frank Furillo
18th Jun 2007, 07:39
From what I remember, having done my PPL in Florida and it being a FAA one at that, I flew in the Mornings and sat around the pool in the afternoon studying for my one exam. Seeing I was hour building out there as well, I took the two exams to convert my FAA into a JAA licence at aroung 100 hours total time. I got my R/T done back here.
If you are doing a JAA PPL then get as much as those exams done here before you go.
I notice Wire 12 you are considering doing your ATPL's etc...
Well according to my latest copy on Lasors (and personal experence) as long as you hold a PPL(A) licence in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 you can sit your ATPL's, also when you go for your CPL(A) you also must have a ICAO PPL(A), so you can use your nice FAA PPL(A) for that. The other advantage of your FAA licence is that it gives you a Night Rating, this counts towards your CPL night experence.
Just a thought.

wire12
18th Jun 2007, 22:17
That's grand thanks for the advice

Whirlygig
18th Jun 2007, 22:46
I did my PPL full-time in the UK. I managed to pass 4 of the exams before I started so only had the others to complete. The aim was for two sorties a day (I only lost an afternoon due to weather but more due to aircraft being U/S) and the rest of time I was either studying or annoying the staff!

I went to a large UK helicopter operator and spent time talking to the pilots, engineers, QA, ops, Police ASU and Air Ambulance in order to get to know a bit more about the business.

Cheers

Whirls

L'aviateur
19th Jun 2007, 16:30
Currently i'm doing upto 4 hours flying a day, 5 days a week, using the off days and weather abandoned sessions to sit the exams. The weather has been a real hassle recently, however things are progressing and hopefully will have the PPL completed shortly. I bought a pack with all the books and a question/answer CD-Rom. Found it quite easy to read the book making notes here and there, then just run through the trial exams for a couple of hours.
4 hours a day is a little bit tiring, but definately not too much.

In hindsight I think I would have considered going to the USA for the good weather, but still i'm enjoying myself.