PDA

View Full Version : Daliy Telegraph - Shortage of Equipment

pulse1
16th Jun 2007, 19:54
Thomas Harding of the DT has spent 3 weeks in Helmund Province and had reported serious shortages of equipment putting soldiers lives at risk.

Of particular interest to this bulletin is the shortage of helicopters (Chinooks and Apaches) and pilots.

Obviously this cannot be true because Bliar said they could have anything they needed.:ugh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/15/nafg115.xml&CMP=ILC-mostviewedbox

HEDP
16th Jun 2007, 20:18
Mmmh,

There would have been some good points made there if it wasn't for the woeful innacuracies!

HEDP

Saintsman
16th Jun 2007, 20:27
There would have been some good points made there if it wasn't for the woeful innacuracies!

I'm sure most of the innacuracies we keep on hearing about are caused by the lads taking the piss out of journalists. I know that they keep falling for it but I wonder if it has a negative effect.

There are shortages but pehaps it gets taken with a pinch of salt because of the rubbish that is printed along side it.

ORAC
16th Jun 2007, 20:49
There are shortages of helicopters, with a failure by all European allies to make it up - relying on the Americans to provide it....

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, BRUSSELS, 15th June:

Gates: U.S. Forced to Plug Helicopter Gap in Afghanistan

The United States is forced to keep helicopters in Afghanistan for the NATO-led security force for another six months because no other ally has stepped forward, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said June 15.

Gates said NATO allies came forth with some offers of additional contributions to the 40,000-strong International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan, but not enough to meet the requirements of the force’s commander. The pledges made at a two-day meeting of alliance defense ministers included an additional maneuver battalion and some teams of advisers embedded with the Afghan security forces, he said.

Several countries also announced that they were removing restrictions on the use of their forces, Gates said, which would allow commanders to deploy them more easily to hostile areas. But he said ISAF commander Gen. Dan McNeil had asked for four maneuver battalions and medium- to heavy-lift helicopters capable of operating in Afghanistan’s high mountains.

"I announced that in the absence of any available apparent substitute, that I would extend the assignment of our helicopters in Kandahar to ISAF for an additional six months," Gates told reporters. "But I expect the allies to come up with a solution at that time in terms of helicopters that have the capability to operate in Afghanistan.”

A U.S. defense official traveling with Gates said the secretary was referring to 20 CH-47 medium-lift helicopters now assigned to ISAF.