PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Sys 'a' Failure And Ldg Flap Setting

bflyer
16th Jun 2007, 13:42
Hi to all..apreciate your thoughts on the following
In the B727-200 EMERGENCY/ABNORMAL CHECKLIST HYDRAULIC SYSTEM(s) LEAK OR LOSS
after completing the checklist and when the affected system is determined ( either A or B or A & B ) the checklist continues with the advisory items..for example system B advisory items are:
1-check weather,crosswind capability is 19 kts
2-observe yaw damper limitations,avoid turbulence
3-plan flaps 15 landing,use Vref+15 kts
4-inbd. spoilers,upper rudder and autobrakes are inoperative
My question is..is it COMPULSORY to carry out these advisory items?..e.g
is the crosswind LIMIT 19 kts?..more importantly..landing with flaps 15 is to blow the spoilers down to prevent them floating..is it mandatory to land with flaps 15,or it..beign an advisory item..can be disregarded under special cases(rwy length limited)
thanks for all your inputs

Flight Detent
17th Jun 2007, 07:09
Yes, unless you have a very good reason for not doing so!

Rainboe
17th Jun 2007, 10:58
You should think very hard before disregarding any recommended non-normal Boeing procedure. You may not be fully aware of the implications. I am not familiar with the B727 systems, but as for recommended medium flap settings, this may be because of inability to raise the gear and go-around implications. Under failure circumstances, you are operating outside your usual mode, and as for disregading advice contained within the QRH, I would suggest not! There are circumstances where maybe you would be restricted at a particular airfield only with wheels down and unable to divert where it may be a consideration to land above crosswind limits, but in a simulator scenario, you really should not disregard such advice as it may be good information about connected problems you may not be aware of.