PDA

View Full Version : Ops Shift Patterns

twinjetter
16th Jun 2007, 10:53
Hi all

What shift patterns do your Ops dep'ts work?

I'm primarily interested in the industry split between long shifts, but less of them (ie- 4 on 4 off 12 hr shifts), and shorter shifts, but more of them (4 on 2 off, 6 on 3 off etc)

Many thanks in advance

TWJ

Little Blue
16th Jun 2007, 17:23
Our pattern is based on the theory that we get two weekends off a month. 2 days, 3 nights 4 off, 3 days 2 nights 5 off, 2 days 2 nights 4 off, and 2 days 2nights 5 off.
Works for us and very easy for childcare !
Much better than 4 on 4 off !

plans123
16th Jun 2007, 23:05
There's 5 of us working 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off which allows for one to be on leave/sick/whatever.

Dash-7 lover
17th Jun 2007, 16:41
4 peeps with us - 2 lates 2 earlies 2 off - 0530-1400 1400-2230

Flybe do 12 hr shifts 7-7, 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off

BA Connect was a mixture of earlies/days/lates/middles and floats.

HON
18th Jun 2007, 05:34
Arann is 5 on 5 off, with one week of 4 off in between and the next week 4 on, 5off. Made up of 2 days 3 nights or 3 days 2 nights. Brilliant roster pattern, 2 weekends a month off, with you working the 3rd on nights and doing the 4th on days. This is the best ops roster pattern! Good for time off and leave etc. Much better than 4 on 4 off. With our roster pattern, you only need put 5 shifts leave in and get 15 off!

wobblybits
18th Jun 2007, 17:08
Little Blue...... what shift lengths will that rotating shift pattern use and how many hours for contractual obligations does that cover.

twinjetter
19th Jun 2007, 07:27
Wobbly...

Little Blues pattern is USUALLY 12 hour shifts, so the dep't has full H24 coverage.

It's an evolution of the old 4 on 4 off, but as Little Blue rightly points out, you get 2 full clear weekends in 4. It really is a great pattern. EZY Ops operate (or at least have operated) this pattern, and it works.

Not sure on the hours side, but I know from 1st hand experience that if you drop below 12 hour shifts on this pattern, you're apparently def below the standard 37.5 or whatever hour week

Cheers

TWJ

PS - What are people's thoughts on the potential fatigue issue attached to 12 hour shifts?

Would you say it's less fatiguing to enjoy a long block of days off; then, refreshed, work long shifts? Or would people argue that it is better (safer?) to induce less fatigue during the work block (shorter hours but more days), then have less time off free of duties?

bcp7
21st Jun 2007, 15:26
Little Blue, how many people does it take to pull off this shift pattern?

Maybe it's a US thing, but not many people here like rotating shifts if they can avoid them. You don't see anybody working 2 days 2 nights 4 off, it is 4 days (or nights) on, 4 off is standard for many airlines.

I am aware of two airlines that work a 4 on (2200-0600L), 2 off, 4 on (1400-2200L), 2 off, 4 on (0600-1400L) 4 off which is really 5 off because you come back at 2200L on the 5th day.

I worked that schedule for 6 years. My last 3 years I traded my 0600-1400L for one of my colleagues 2200-0600L shift to eliminate one of those sleep schedule changes.

Little Blue
22nd Jun 2007, 10:33
Well, for our operation, we have 21 737 flying approx 8 sectors a day.
Shift coverage is one Senior Controller, one controller covering all aspects of ops and crewing.
On the roster, we have five seniors, and five controllers.
There are four rotating shift patterns and two floaters covering leave/courses etc.
There are also three officers who cover earlies/lates whilst dealing with slots/hotac etc.
I say again,this pattern really works for us. I was sceptical at the beginning, but was pleased to be proved wrong.
It may not suit all carriers, but I know its used at a number of UK operators.
And as for the 12 hour shifts? After 15 years, I guess I'm used to it !

top jock
22nd Jun 2007, 13:56
In Ryanair they also do 2 days 2 nights 4 off. On your first day off you have already done 7 hours of work and then sleep. Its not as great a roster as it sounds. Some studies have also shown that working night shifts over the years can cause alzheimer's. Driving home can be dangerous after a tough night shift. Your mind is already asleep. In Ryanair you dont get a break either so no chance of catching a few mins of shut eye.

twinjetter
22nd Jun 2007, 16:29
top jock

I always found the trip home after the first night harder than that after nights 2 or 3 (when your body had somewhat adjusted to it).

On more than one occasion, I was literally asleep at the wheel. My choice to do it, but not really fair on the people coming the other way on the road!

This was probably the main reason I chose to leave what was a good job, with good people at a really good, orange airline.

During my time there, however, we were lucky that breaks at night were the norm, even if only for an hour. Don't know if it's still the case.

TWJ

top jock
22nd Jun 2007, 18:13
I think when you work in there no matter when you leave , day or night the body is shattered. The ops people are a very good bunch in there its just too much of a work load with no support from above and no spare aircraft when things go wrong. It is a pitty because it was a great place to work. Anyway , i am getting away from the point. I use to find that if you swopped and did four nights that i was in bits on my days off. Found it hard to get back to normal hours on my days off.

Low life
23rd Jun 2007, 07:28
I found my body adjusted better to blocks of 4 i.e 4 Days, 4 off, 4 nights and so on

crjlover
23rd Jun 2007, 15:21
No more than 6 days on. And off days as much saturadys sundays and bank holidays there are in the month. Than we try to have a shift that end early before the off day and a shift that start late after the off, but it is not by law.

747-436
24th Jun 2007, 10:41
I have worked 4 on 4 off, 4 on 2 off and 6 on 3 off in my time and I much prefer working 4x4 12 hour shifts. Once you have been there 8 it isn't that much further to get to 12! 4 on 2 off was the worst pattern I have worked as you only manage to get a weekend off every 6 weeks!

My 12 hour shift pattern was 4 days then 4 off then sometimes 4 nights or 4 days again. In the day there were 2 controllers on but only 1 at night which for us meant fewer night shifts so always a bonus.

I would not like to work the 2 days 2 nights pattern as it means you are always doing night shifts every shift run which I think is a lot more fatiguing than doing 4, your body has time to adjust, and then having a gap where you only do day shifts. At worst it means you have 12 days between night shifts.

Now I have moved to a Big Airline I am now doing Monday to Fridays, oh how I wish for 4 on 4 off again!!

F'Wx
1st Jul 2007, 09:06
Between the 4 Ops officers, we do 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off.. Obviously 12 hours shifts... Allows for plenty of overtime.. Normally tend to average atleast 2-3 days a month if your willing

hjc1
13th Dec 2007, 01:54
To Little Blue,
Saw your post on 17/06/07 regarding your shift roster, it looks very good. I actually work in a Chemical Fertiliser plant in Australia & we are looking for a new roster. Could you show me how the roster works over 4 shifts. Or even a months roster.
Thanks
hjc1