PDA

View Full Version : JD Aviation

EK4457
15th Jun 2007, 23:56
Just thinking about CPL/IR training after my ATPLs and looking into JD Aviation.

Anyone had any experiences? I know they are a small scale operation and I've spoken to JD himself.

Would like to hear what any current/future/past students have to say.

Tried a search but it doesn't like the word 'JD'. Apparently it's too small. Computer says no.:rolleyes:

Thanks

EK

SU27
16th Jun 2007, 10:17
All I can say is:

Fantastic flying school. I have no regrets whatsoever.

At JD Aviation you will learn what is required and more. Flying out of Manchester International is excellent experience to have. It will sharpen your RT up and you get used to integrating into a very busy airfield environment.

The instructors are first class, and I now regard them all as good friends.

Highly professional set-up, at the UK's third largest airport.

Good luck with all your training.

EK4457
16th Jun 2007, 10:50
Thanks for that SU27.

Seems to be the normal response after speaking to a couple of others that have trained there. Can only be a good thing.

Could well be my final choice as MAN is round the corner from me.

And is MAN not the second largest airport in the country? The reason I ask is because I was wondering what effect this has on delays.

Also, are the landing (or departure fees) high at MAN compared to say LBA? The prices at JD seem very reasonable but is that outweighed by the dep fees?

Did you find sharing the A/C with MSF a problem? ie their students getting priority?

And one more....as JD don't have a sim, that means all 50 hours of the IR are in the aircraft. Is this good or bad?

Thanks

EK

SU27
16th Jun 2007, 11:14
Ill get back to you on the departure fees. They were not sky high by the way. Ill check my invoices.

Delays are few and far between. You will taxi out at 1100 hrs just as the final transatlantic flights are leaving. There are no long queues of little aeroplanes to worry about. EGCC ATC are very good. Much more professional than at some other airfields which I won't name.

I only had two occasions where I was delayed, but I'm talking no more than 30 mins, in which case we didn't taxi out.

Also EGCC ATC has many taxiways and of course two runways to play with, so alot of the time you will find you will be quickly launched away in front of a 747 etc.

The system works at Manchester.

As for not having a sim, that is no problem. I liked the idea of being out in a real aeroplane. The Archer that is used for that section of the course is only 3-4 years old and is a nice aeroplane. This aeroplane is booked by JD Aviation and isn't used by MSF as much as you'd expect. Obviously from time to time MSF will need the aircraft. As you said, JD's rates are very good.

Hope I have been helpful. Perhaps I'll see you around.

EK4457
16th Jun 2007, 12:44
Excellent, thanks for that SU.

Could you PM me if you think of anything of interest about training at JD?

Thanks

EK

horsebox
16th Jun 2007, 17:03
Did a Cpl with JD last year. Training was good value, and John and Alan both have alot of experience to tap into.

Departure fee from Manchester is circa £20, but we often had another student with us and would land somewhere else, then swop over. The departure fee is then split between the 2 students.

John has access to several aircraft, a smart newish Archer (not used much by MSF), an arrow and a seneca. He charges airborne +15mins, so any taxi delays don't hit you in the pocket. There was also a steady stream of characters coming in for renewals etc with him, and a good chance to make a few contacts.

Pm me if you wish

EK4457
17th Jun 2007, 00:12
I've spoken to JD and got approx prices of:

CPL/MEP: £5,500
IR: £11,000

These seem very reasonable to me. Are they realistic?

EK

adverse-bump
17th Jun 2007, 17:19
dont forget to add landing fee's at MAN, They are expensive!!!

i did all my IR in ac, ie no sim, it is alot better than using a sim

horsebox
17th Jun 2007, 20:14
Unless things have changed recently - For based aircraft there is no "landing fee" at manchester. Just the departure fee mentioned above.

EK4457
17th Jun 2007, 22:14
Done a little research on this. Departure fee of £21.50 incl VAT. No landing fee. Quite reasonable. I pay circa £15 at Barton.

The advantages of using a sim for IR are:

1) Not WX dependent (a large factor in Manchester)

2) You can analyse your performance more accurately afterwards, and even 'rewind' sections and do them again should you botch an approach or holding pattern.

However, I thought the main point of a sim was that it was cheaper than the actual flying. However, if you look at courses that include sim time (Multiflight, OAT, CABAIR etc), the prices are actually more expensive.

I suppose at the end of the day, the test is in the AC, so the more training in the air the better.

EK

FlyingIsFun
15th Jul 2007, 10:36
Just want to add to the above endorsements. I did my CPL with JD last year. The combination of location and excellent instruction is very good. I'd recommend it.