PDA

View Full Version : Robin Olds

Archimedes
15th Jun 2007, 23:48
Brigadier General Robin Olds has passed away, aged 84. As well as being a WW2 'ace' and nearly an 'ace' in Vietnam, he was OC 1(F) Sqn while on exchange with the RAF.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123057370

brickhistory
16th Jun 2007, 00:09
Got to meet the man back in 2004 at Holloman AFB while writing a story about the GAF F-4 schoolhouse closing.

He was the guest speaker at the dinner, told some good anecdotes about his Phantom time.

However, at 81, although he looked an old man, before, during, and after dinner, he accepted the many shots of Johnny Walker that the young pups bought him and held it much better than many ever could in their prime.

He was a warrior.

RIP.

maxburner
16th Jun 2007, 06:42
Archimedes,

Thank you for posting that.

Olds was a legend: a great leader. May he rest in peace.

BEagle
16th Jun 2007, 07:03
Agreed - a true fighter pilot.

RIP

soddim
16th Jun 2007, 13:44
He did the RAF proud when I was introduced to him in 1978 - told all around me that his time with 1 Squadron RAF had taught him all he knew about flying fighters. At that time he was a PR man for Coors beer - a tough act to follow.

time expired
19th Jun 2007, 14:13
A true warrior.
RIP
A man who lead from the front,in his case the cockpit.Although his
style was uniquely American his like could be found in the RAF,Doug.
Bader comes to mind,tough,opininated men who led by willpower and
strength of personality.We will not see their like again,in this PC,
feminized western society they probably would not get past the
recruiter.
Regards.

Jobza Guddun
19th Jun 2007, 14:30
I recall reading somewhere that Olds missed the Korean War, and was so angry about it he couldn't speak of it? WW2 ace and four in Vietnam wasn't it?

Quite a guy by all accounts, would loved to have supped a few sherbs with him.

RIP :ok:

27mm
19th Jun 2007, 14:31
We shall not see his like again - am re-reading the Operation Bolo debrief, which gives some insight into his leadership qualities. Is there a decent biography of this Warrior available?

time expired
19th Jun 2007, 16:36
27MM,I do not know of any books written by him or about
him,however a book called Fast Movers,Jet pilots and the
Vietnam experience,written by John Darrell Sherwood
has a chapter dedicated to his story. Chapter is titled
Old Lionheart,that about says it all.
Regards

27mm
20th Jun 2007, 05:17
Time Expired, many thanks.

EODFelix
20th Jun 2007, 16:14
For those with access to US facilities:

Olds, Robin. End of Tour Report. Thailand, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, October 1967. 39 p.
Doc. call no.: M-U 42193-247

GeeRam
20th Jun 2007, 20:34
I recall reading somewhere that Olds missed the Korean War, and was so angry about it he couldn't speak of it? WW2 ace and four in Vietnam wasn't it?

Correct, he missed it because he had been assigned to command the 71st FS, a home defense unit, on returning from his stint over here with the RAF. Incidently, his stint in charge of 1 Sqn made history as he became the first non-RAF, RAF Squadron commander.

He scored 13 in WW2 and 4 in Vietnam.

Incidently, his original personal P-51D Mustang that he scored all his 13 victories with in 44/45, survived the war and subsequent post war civvie life including a period as a Reno-racer. Olds took a very active interest in the full restoration of his old a/c back in the early 1990's when it was returned to 'his' personal markings as he flew it in WW2 as 'Scat VII'. It had been converted to twin-stick TF configuration as well and I believe he did fly it again post restoration at some point, which if so, must also be some sort of unique record.
However, sadly, in 2003 Scat VII crashed and was destroyed, killing owner-pilot Jim Shuttleworth.

soddim
2nd Jul 2007, 17:51
Good obituary in today's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2007/07/02/db0201.xml

A2QFI
2nd Jul 2007, 18:04
Tucked away in today's DT obituary is the fact the he assumed command of a squadron and flew 125 missions while commanding it, compared with the 12 missions flown by the previous commander, in the same length of time in command - tells you most of what you need to know about the man!

snapper41
3rd Jul 2007, 08:03
Anyone know how he got to command an RAF sqn whilst on exchange?

hobie
3rd Jul 2007, 09:44
The man himself .....

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/06/19/robin_olds_84_colorful_ace_pilot_of_wwii_vietnam/

JOE-FBS
12th Feb 2008, 21:40
History Channel has a documentary called Dogfights: Air Ambush which is about Operation Bolo but also includes some biography of Robin Olds and even the man himself speaking to camera. The programme has appeared on my Top Up TV download this week so is probably being shown on History Channel at the moment for those of you who subscribe to either the Digger or Beardie.

skippyscage
13th Feb 2008, 01:35
for those that are interested....

QF-4s arriving and on the ramp at Peterson AFB (http://www.skippyscage.com/aviation/co/robinolds/) after the missing man formation at Olds' funeral along with a couple of T-33s

an article we put together on Fence Check (http://www.fencecheck.com/news/Brigadier_General_Robin_Olds/) with the normal payments going to the charity of Robin Olds family of choice.

Paul

Al R
13th Feb 2008, 06:05
Thanks for that, those F4s look the dog's. :D

I'm surprised there are any still flying in the colours.

Jobza Guddun
13th Feb 2008, 23:14
A fantastic tribute to a great warrior and fighter pilot.

I don't think I've ever seen a fast jet as immaculate as each one of those F-4's - that's how they try to keep them too. That's dedication for you...