PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - CTS

b mi baby
15th Jun 2007, 10:52
Have just had an EMG test and been informed that there is significant compression of the median nerve in my right wrist. I have been using night time wrist support for a while. I have been advised to have the op to open up the tunnel. With that in mind I would be interested to hear of any experiences that other might have had i.e time off work, recovery period, after surgery pain / weakness, any CAA medical issues etc.
Many thanks

opnot
15th Jun 2007, 13:46
bmi baby
I had the op about 6 years ago, done under local anaesthetic and took no more than 30 mins , wrist bandaged up , cup of tea and off you go. signed off for approx 4 weeks but went back after two, pain from the swollen median pressing on the nerves went virtually straight away and very little post op pain.have it done as soon as you can, very benficial.
By the way I am an atco and there was no problem with my class1 medical

airbus2boeing
15th Jun 2007, 15:47
Just curious, what are the symptoms?

b mi baby
15th Jun 2007, 17:38
Symptons are numbness in the thumb, first finger, part of the ring finger and part of the hand - sometimes a bit like pins and needles but it isn't. Particularly noticeable at night as sleeping with the hand bent at the wrist tends to aggravate the condition which is why I sleep with a wrist support which keeps the wrist straight. Aches around the wrist and weakness there as well.

unstable load
15th Jun 2007, 19:37
I know 2 guys who had it, both engineers. One had no hassles and pronounced it a great success and the other still drips and whinges about it to this day.

gingernut
20th Jun 2007, 15:28
bmi baby describes typical symptoms. Sometimes the symptoms can be reproduced by tapping the nerve at the rist, but this isn't always a reliable test. (Try it)

Night splints, rest and steroid injections are some of the more conservative approaches to treatment.

Patient's usually report good recovery from surgery, but my data suggests full recovery in 80% of cases.

A2QFI
20th Jun 2007, 20:15
I have just come across a leaflet on this, in my hospital reception area. You can read the contents, in full, at this link.

http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6008/6008.asp

This largely confirms the comments you have had so far.

Bahn-Jeaux
16th Jul 2007, 21:59
I am wondering about how long restrictions will last if any as I am having this surgery on the 25th of this month.
Just got my flight test in though before it.