PDA

View Full Version : multiflight

justjoshing
15th Jun 2007, 08:59
Hi, i am going to do my A levels then work for a bit and hopefully do the multiflight intergrated.
It is only 30k and i could get a loan for 10k and work for the rest, but it does seem a bit to good to be true, i mean 30k, i know there will be hidden costs but i mean 30k is a bit cheap.

Is the school actually any good or has anybody viseted it.

Thanks Josh.

phantomcruiser07
15th Jun 2007, 09:58
multiflight looks like an ok place, but dont think they do integrated, more of a Structured Modular course

matt_hooks
15th Jun 2007, 10:44
Looks like most of the training is done at Naples in Florida. Be aware that the Naples flying school does not have a good reputation. I'm not sure if it's the same people, might just be at the same field but worth checking out before you part with any money.
The course is not integrated, it's the modular route.
The ATPL study materials are provided by Bristol, which I found very useful during my ATPL theory study (integrated at Cabair, the Bristol website was a very useful backup)
You will also need to look at MCC courses as they are not included.
That route has merits, as long as you make sure you get ful benefit out of the training/hours building in the US.
Hope that's helpful, would be worth going through the website with a fine toothed comb, check on the T's and C's and find out exactly what you DO get for your money.

Edited to add. Found this list of what is/isn't included in the price...

What is included in the price;

In the USA
1. FAA Medical.
2. All books and study materials.
3. FAA written examination knowledge test.
4. FAA certification fees.
5. All ground school fees.
6. All pre and post flight briefings.
7. Training and structured solo flying to total 150 hours including FAA PPL, night rating and JAA conversion.
8. Issue of I-20 Visa approval.
9. Airport transfers.

In the UK
1. All study materials for the ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations.
2. 2x2 weeks full time brush up courses at Bristol Ground School.
3. Internet and e-mail support.
4. 20 hours single engine (PA28), eight hours multi-engine CPL and MEP Module.
5. 15 hours multi-engine, 40 hours FNPT2 simulator IR Module.

Not Included
1. Class One Medical.
2. CAA test and examination fees.
3. Aircraft hire for tests.
4. Licence issue fees.
5. 170A test fee.
6. Landing and approach fees while in the UK.
7. Flights to and from USA.
8. Accommodation fees.
9. Headset.

So, should be easy to work out what the additional cost on top of the stated price will be.

Given that some of the "not included" costs would be the same for a UK integrated course (class A medical for certain wouldn't) should give you an idea of what the total cost runs out too.

Class one medical, if you only need the basics, is a substantial chunk of money. The exact cost is listed http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=3224 here.

CAA test and exam fees. Look at 14 x 65 for the ATPL theory exams. Then the cost of the flying tests, again these should be listed on the CAA website, and wouldn't be included in an integrated course anyway.

Aircraft hire for tests. CPL skills is approx 2 hours, and in a "complex single" you should be thinking around the £150 - £200 an hour mark (depends on the type/school) And the twin for the IR could be more than that.

Licence issue fees, again not included in an integrated course.

170A test fee. This would normally be included in an integrated course, similar to the cost of a CPL skills or IR.

Landing and approach fees in the UK. Again would normally be included in an integrated course and could add up to a fair few quid, depending on what airfields you use and how good a deal the FTO get.

Flights too/from the USA. Another additional cost. Shop around but still at least a couple of hundred quid.

Accomodation fees. Not included in integrated courses.

Headset. Included in integrated course. You can economise a bit on this, but still a fair chunk of money.

I guess what you really need to do is sit down and work out exactly what all the extras cost, and also whether you will be able to make the training in the hours supplied. I know many people struggle when converting from US flying to UK flying, it's VERY different in terms of RT, airspace etc.