PDA

View Full Version : Sim Prep options

YellowFever
15th Jun 2007, 03:22
Hey all, I just got the news that I have been accepted for a second interview. In the 1st, the two gentlemen I interviewed with all but came out and said that I need to do a sim prep prior to showing up. There are a ton of options both in Canada and in the US, for 747 sim preps, so I am looking for personal experiences regarding whom to choose. Can any of you who have experience with Canadian or US sip preps for the second interview at CX give me some feed back regarding who you used? I am determined to get this job, so I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but I would like to know if there are companies with CX specific experience to give me my best shot at excelling.

Thanks in advance,
JDM

Waterskier
15th Jun 2007, 21:06
I did a sim prep with Graham from www.emeraldcoastinterviewconsulting.com (http://www.emeraldcoastinterviewconsulting.com) in MIA. Its $950 for 2 hours and you can split it with another person for $475 each with an hour each flying.

I felt it was excellent prep and he seems like a knowledgable, honest instructor. From what I understand, it costs a little less at other places, but I wouldn't hesitate recommending this guy.

Stuck_in_an_ATR
15th Jun 2007, 21:17
I didn't do any sim prep and made it - not sure if it's worth forking out 1000$. The brief that you'll get before the sim in HKG is very thorough and explains all you need to know. Then it only comes paying close attention to the ADI and not wagging the wings too much (you'll be surprised how sensitive on ailerons this beast is :E)

Subwoofer
15th Jun 2007, 23:41
I thoroughly recommend buying sim time. I may have paid a little too much for it (Alteon Training, in SDF, they were close to home), but from what I heard the interview outcome is deeply influenced by your sim performance.

YellowFever
16th Jun 2007, 02:53
Stuck In a French Aircraft, that well describes exactly why I will do the sim prep. While I *might* get through without it, I would much rather not have an interview in which I am "surprised at how sensitive the ailerons are in this beast"... I figure it is far more sensible to prep fully for the experience, so I don't find myself "stuck in an Embraer" *lol*

I haven't flown anything over 50000 lbs... y'all burn more than that in fuel, climbing to altitude. bit of a difference to be overcoming in the interview!

Stuck_in_an_ATR
16th Jun 2007, 05:39
O.K. To be totally honest - on the assessment day I really wished I had bought some sim time :}. But after all, I think the main advantage of it is that it would would take some fear factor off you. As for the actual flying skills, I think that shooting several raw data approaches in your EMB-145 would give you a higher chance to pass. Anyway - good luck with the interview!

kmagyoyo
16th Jun 2007, 06:31
Hi YF

I did a bit of soul searching over doing a practice sim as 'down under' there is only one choice at it isn't cheap. It was something I couldn't justify financially so...

I did numerous hand flown raw data ILS's on my current type (thankfully my current operator allowed that);

Downloaded 'ready for pushback' and flew the profile a million times :8 ok total nerd alert but it was useful for orientation, learning the profile backwards and getting your head around those bloody bugs!;

Finally, prayed that 10 years roaring around in pointy jets in a previous career counted for something.

I was in HKG with a couple of 747 drivers and they said the sim didn't fly like a 747. Take from that what you will. The SIM was very very unstable attitude wise ESPECIALLY in bank. Whether or not they give it a way aft CoG or its just testing nerves the machine was a bloody handful. Take your eyes of the ADI at your peril... on the bright side power + attitude = performance and the numbers they give you are spot on.

If your wondering I start in Sept on the A330 so must have done ok :\

TWINGLOBES
18th Jun 2007, 05:54
Check out:

http://www.coastalpacific.com/

Coastal Pacific Aviation, Abbottsford, BC, @ 45 min from YVR has a level 2 FTD. No motion, but good visual.

SIC
21st Jun 2007, 13:55
Kmagiyoyo - you starting on the 330?? Am a bit confused please explain?

rjmore
21st Jun 2007, 16:11
They are putting Aussies in the A330 as DEFOs based down there. We had two in my interview group that were pretty surprised to hear that but they got what they wanted afterall.

C-152Captain
21st Jun 2007, 18:40
I haven't flown anything over 50000 lbs... y'all burn more than that in fuel, climbing to altitude. bit of a difference to be overcoming in the interview!

Word of advice: DONT DAY "YA'LL" ..."whilst" you're in Hong Kong speaking to proper British people.

It doesn't help that they already hate Americans, don't dig yourself even a deeper hole sounding like a redneck.

Other than that, you should be fine.