PDA

View Full Version : converting license...

roxar
14th Jun 2007, 20:14
hi...
i gonna taking my cpl,ir,me,atpl at OZ...
izzit difficult to convert to malaysian license?...
because dca want to see the SPM?..
izzit true?
:ugh:

ssangyongs
15th Jun 2007, 15:42
roxar,

my advise for you is to check with DCA first regarding license conversion and your SPM result before you leave for Oz. They might clarify some of your doubt. You can go to their office in Putrajaya.

License conversion can be a pain in the A$$.

roxar
16th Jun 2007, 10:44
thanks ssangyong,
but we still can convert our license rite?..can u tell me abit about the procedure?..
huhu..
i go dca last time but the receptionist kindda rude...demn to her..
:\

thornycactus
16th Jun 2007, 11:25
ssangyongs is a nice chap. Licence conversion needs lots of money.

Do you have more than RM70K now? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3349444&postcount=2) <- Right click, view post

ssangyongs
17th Jun 2007, 13:03
first and foremost you have to sit for Air Law paper. then do some check ride with examiner to show him you're competent enough to fly in Malaysia. After that you'll get you license. They will asses you if your ME time is not sufficient to DCA standard they will ask you to "complete".

I dont know if they change the rules but my explaination above applies to FAA license holder. i dont know much about how to from CASA.

AviatoR21
18th Jun 2007, 07:07
hey guys,

im an aussie currently in KL seeking to convert my licence and do the UKCAA ATPL exams here. i have submitted my letter to DCA so hopefully i will get the approval soon. in regards to the flying schools i believe they are chockers and i hope that i can just go direct into the ATPL classes which all the cadets will have to do. see how it goes.....

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
18th Jun 2007, 12:21
Guys and Gals,
Please, check with DCA on the approved schools in Oz otherwise you are really going too waste some money when you return to Malaysia. Go to DCA and see Mr Williams and explain what you want to do and he will lay it out for you no hassles no hidden costs.

With regard to the UK6 or the UK ATPL if you can sit the exams in the UK it will be CAA/JAA recognised, if you sit it here it is not recognised by the CAA UK so if you intend to live and work in the EU or perhaps can get the right to live and work in the EU at least you have a JAA recognised license and the world is you oyster.

Good luck. :ok:

AviatoR21
18th Jun 2007, 15:29
so if i do the UKCAA exams here in Malaysia it is not recognised in the UK? ive called DCA in regards to Mr Williams and apparently he is never available and gone to India. Capt Yahaya is also unavailable.....is there anyone in DCA who i can speak to?

thornycactus
18th Jun 2007, 18:10
Why you don't trust Capt. Wooblah? Capt. Wooblah is an aviation expert in Malaysia, we can tell by his past postings.

How can DCA answer you about UKCAA exam recognition elsewhere? DCA concern aviation in Malaysia only.

UKCAA exam is not recognised in U.K. (100% confirm). Otherwise, write an email to UKCAA International authority. UKCAA recognise UK-JAR (FCL) or Europe-JAA pilot licence only.

roxar
18th Jun 2007, 18:22
hi,
thanks capt wooblah...
nway who can i contact...
if mr william and capt yahya is not avaiable?..
what do u thing about WA aviation college?...

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
19th Jun 2007, 02:58
Dear all,
I understand that DCA is a rather difficult organisation to get in touch with and from time to time their policy's change without notice. Perhaps I can suggest a plan of action that will be of benefit.
1) All of you that are intending to attend an overseas flight training program and all of you that intend converting foreign licenses or sitting the UK CAA ATPL get together as a group and make an appointment to see the head of licensing which I believe is still Capt Yahaya.
2) At the meeting ask Yahaya to assign a DCA desk officer to be the point man dealing with the issues that you all face as explained above.
3) Once you have established the DCA approved processes ask DCA or help DCA publish these on their web site.
Note:
As far as I am aware the UK ATPL that is conducted in Malaysia is from the UKCAA external examination services and is stamped not for the issue of a UK license. But I am quite sure that if you attend the course here and sit the exams in the UK at the CAA, the license will be recognised by the UK CAA. Therefore if you obtain the right to live and work in the EU you will have a recognised license for the EU which is very valuable.
With regard to overseas flight schools I am very certain that DCA have a list of approved overseas flight schools and that if you attend a school not on the list DCA may not recognise the training and require to sit all or some of the papers before the will issue a Malaysian license.
I understand that all of you are keen as mustard to complete your training and conversions and get into the air but in my opinion it is of great importance that you take time to get the process done properly and with the approval of DCA in order to prevent much disappointment and heavy additional financial costs should DCA not recognise you overseas qualifications.
With regard to flying schools in Australia and elsewhere most are decent and provide excellent training BUT as with all businesses there are the con artists and ripp off merchants that promise the world and deliver little. Generally they will keep extending flight training hours citing that you are not up to standard in order to get more cash out of you before you pass the CPL/IR flight test. So, check with the guys that have gone before you and remember that there is always safety and bargaining power in numbers.
Good luck,
Wooblah :ok:

squarecrow
19th Jun 2007, 05:30
The UK stopped National Licence Issue some time ago during the JAR FCL Transition. At the time You could sit for either CAA or sit for The JAA Papers. In due course the National licence was withdrawn and now new Licences are only JAR FCL. Those with National ATPL Licence issued in UK can or could convert straight to JAA (UK Issued) once you have met the Requirements which includes with the 1500 TT 500 hours on JAA Multi Pilot Certified Aircraft. Otherwise you can only hold only a CPL. It used to be you applied to the UK CAA for an assesment letter which will list your requirements for conversion and I wouldnt be surprised if they ask you to sit the JAA Papers maybe minus 1 or 2 plus redo an IRT (LOL).
Thats JAR's Folks, If you sit in UK sit The JAA Papers But will they be accepted by DCA? If you sit the UK CAA papers in UK (wasnt aware you still could) That is not accepted for JAA Licence issue unless I misread something.

thornycactus
19th Jun 2007, 06:36
The UK stopped National Licence Issue some time ago during the JAR FCL Transition. At the time You could sit for either CAA or sit for The JAA Papers.
This is true! BUT UKCAA still set examination papers according to UKCAA standard not UK-JAR/Europe JAA. UKCAA is still the ruling 'Queen' in UKCAA examination in Malaysia, Singapore and perhaps Hong Kong. UKCAA licence (NOT UK-JAR (FCL)!) is still highly regarded.
If you sit the UK CAA papers in UK (wasnt aware you still could)
UKCAA offers UK-JAR (FCL) papers only. UKCAA does not gives UKCAA examination to anybody in U.K.! In U.K., it is UK-JAR (FCL) papers.
That is not accepted for JAA Licence issue unless I misread something.
You are right. How can UKCAA issues licence for an applicant who sit for UKCAA papers?

squarecrow
19th Jun 2007, 08:28
You can get all the info you need from the UKCAA website and the UK Lasors. You cannot get a UK National Licence anymore. You get a JAA Licence now aka CPL, FATPL. In fact there was a big discussion too on stopping Harmonisation for PPL at the time cos it bumped the costs of Private flying up. eg conversion of Foreign PPL to UK JAR FCL, It may again have changed but originally you needed 75 hrs as Pilot of Aircraft,:eek: before you could get the UK PPL Lic issued. etc etc,, I personally recomend you ask on the Instructors forum cos they will be more up to date Mate..

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
19th Jun 2007, 10:39
Well there you have it, starting to show my age LoL.....

Good luck to all of you and hope it goes well.

Ciao,

Wooblah.

AviatoR21
19th Jun 2007, 16:37
Thank You all for you replies, i understand what you are all saying. Im an aussie living in KL now and i managed to pass my papers to DCA and they will contact me withtin a week regarding the letter of approval. I believe the only way to work in Msia is to convert to their licence here. Do any of you reside in Msia so that i may contact you for further details?