PDA

View Full Version : RAF

Stryda
14th Jun 2007, 19:08
just wondering if there is any1 here in the British RAF as an aircraft engineer/ technician? if so how long did it take you from first applying for the RAF to actually been there and doing your training? also what are your usual days like...such as duties you do, activities, what you do in your spare time etc, anything really lol. thanks

The Helpful Stacker
14th Jun 2007, 19:12
Have you tried asking this question over on http://www.e-goat.co.uk as this site is predominately used by aircrew types (and a few of us growbag groupies) whereas e-goat is predominately groundcrew?

Seldomfitforpurpose
14th Jun 2007, 21:57
And with that sort of spelling and grammar egoat is exactly where you belong...................................:eek:

Oh my God, I am starting to sound like an ex VC10 captain of this parish.......:sad:

Stryda
14th Jun 2007, 22:30
Lol my spelling? I only shortened anyone to any1, and didn't use capital letters lol. Was it that bad?

ATCO17
15th Jun 2007, 00:09
SFFP, give the guy a break. Please! Nice to know that, despite the awful ad campaigns, the merchandising and other feeble attempts the RAF has made to recruit folks over the past few years, someone has at least attempted to make the effort to do his homework. Whilst his spelling and grammar may not be up to your expectations, he may well be a technical wizard upon whom many aircrew of the future rely upon to get airborne and gain those precious hours they all crave for....

A17

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Jun 2007, 00:13
ATCO,

Read the post again then try to spot the dig and who it was jokingly aimed at :rolleyes:

ATCO17
15th Jun 2007, 00:56
SFFP, I noticed the "British RAF" bit straight away. You claim to be an "Ex VC10 Captain". or sound like one. Surely, one of your responsibilities as an officer is to nurture and encourage people from the street who aspire to a career in the RAF. We see so many posts on this site slagging off the RAF and the way in which it is run. After a lot of years, I have decided to look at pastures new, but I would encourage anyone to at least give it a go..got to be better than the Army after all! It's never going to be the same as 22 years ago!

Mad_Mark
15th Jun 2007, 07:55
just wondering if there is any1 here in the British RAF

There is only one RAF, so no need for the 'British' bit ;)

MadMark!!! :mad:

toddbabe
15th Jun 2007, 07:59
what about the RAAF?

Mad_Mark
15th Jun 2007, 08:10
what about the RAAF?

That is exactly that, the RAAF, not the RAF :rolleyes:

I'll save you the bother of thinking of a few more - RNZAF, RNoAF, RNLAF, RSwAF, RCAF, RSAF, RDAF, RAFO.... But only one RAF.

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Jun 2007, 08:49
Mark,

Whilst I totally agree with you standby for blondebabe to tell you why you are wrong :rolleyes:

ATCO

Lighten yourself up young man

I don't CLAIM to be anything in my post, I assert in what I thought was a light hearted manner that I SOUNDED like an ex VC10 Captain who regularly posts on these boards and self confesses to hate "yoof speak" and the like.

Stryda,

Nice to see my brand of humour caused you no offense and I hope you have followed the sensible advice given by THS as e-goat is the best place for the sort of gen you want but be prepared for some very harsh banter whilst looking for your answers, best of luck :ok:

wotsit
15th Jun 2007, 09:13
What a welcome from the pprune mafia!

10 replies denegrating spelling grammar blah blah blah and no-one has really answered the poor blokes question.

Maybe he IS better off on e-goat.......

mcs7
15th Jun 2007, 10:16
Stryda

If you take a look here you will see that e-goat (despite what people on PPrune may believe) take recruiting very seriously and may well be able to answer your queries
Best of Luck
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

TonkaEngO
15th Jun 2007, 10:17
Stryda,
Loads of stuff here, on various threads, for you to look at. E goat is another alternative for you to scan through. Without getting into any of your questions too specifcally, have a look through the old stuff and then get back - to me or generically again.
Don't be put off by any negativity - most is well meant

Mad_Mark
15th Jun 2007, 10:25
What a welcome from the pprune mafia!

10 replies denegrating spelling grammar blah blah blah and no-one has really answered the poor blokes question.

Maybe he IS better off on e-goat.......

He received an answer in the first reply; PPRuNe is predominantly an aircrew forum and he was pointed towards E-Goat, which is predominantly a groundies forum, where he is more likely to get the answer he is seeking.

If he does join the RAF then he had better get used to the sort of banter that is being posted on here - it is typical within HM Forces, hard but not malicious :ok:

The Swinging Monkey
15th Jun 2007, 10:40
BEagle
Come and put everyone out of their misery would you mind old chap? Thanks!
TSM

AR1
15th Jun 2007, 10:41
Well meant negativity. Priceless.:)

Being an ex groundie, who likes aircraft - I love reading the stuff on here. Aircraft are why I joined up, despite the fact i didn't fly. (apart from being a grinning passenger.

As for 'what I did during the day' it depends on the era. As an Airman I spent all day trying to do nothing and as an NCO all day trying to get the Airmen to do something.

Sounds boring, but it was really good, and I have friends (and a trade) for life.

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Jun 2007, 10:42
Thank you TSM, a poor attempt at humour on my part but not wasted on everyone it would seem :D

fastener
15th Jun 2007, 11:21
Stryda, don't be fooled by these guys, engineering is still a good trade to follow. Military or civilian, both have the good and bad points.
As for pilots, I've seen a monkey ride a bicycle but I've never seen one mend a puncture!! They bend 'em we mend 'em. I've also me a lot of illiterote.....ilitrete.... pilots that can't spell.

Stryda
15th Jun 2007, 12:52
lol, well....ummm was a lot of help especially for my spelling side :D, and ive taken your constuctive cirticism in and will try to act upon it in my next post (or this one) :8 haha. Anyways thanks for all the help guys, i've checked out e-goat and it has helped me.

AR1
15th Jun 2007, 13:01
For those who rubbish somebody because of their background or education..
http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/article2659661.ece

Seldomfitforpurpose
15th Jun 2007, 13:05
Well done Stryda, give that man a job as more often than not petulance kicks in as a reaction to often harsh but fair military banter.

Best of luck with your job search :ok:

TonkaEngO
15th Jun 2007, 18:15
AR1
2 comments - 'as an airman I avoided work as much as possible' - what the ****!!!! So glad I never knew you, what a great guy to be on the line with.

Education etc comment - relevance to this thread?

Knob

SRENNAPS
15th Jun 2007, 20:06
AR1

I am amazed – no – gob smacked you became a NCO. I really hope you never made SNCO.

Your attitude sucks.

Please tell me you have left the mob.

AR1
16th Jun 2007, 08:25
I clearly wasnt very good at work avoidance!:) (another poor attempt at humour)
And the tilt at education, was a simple reference to post which suggested the young man may have been better off on another forum as he couldnt spell.

I had 2 'CSEs' upon joining as a Mech, everything else I got via the RAF, including the 'Trade for life' Which is why I think its great.

And you'll be relieved to hear that I'm no longer serving..;)

peppermint_jam
16th Jun 2007, 10:19
Stryda.

I see you're from Leeds. Should you want to spend a day with an RAF Squadron to see what we do on a day to day basis it might be worth getting in touch with on of the Squadrons at RAF Leeming and asking if you can visit them. Most Squadrons are quite welcoming to this kind of request.

p_j