PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of ATPL Groundschool

L'aviateur
13th Jun 2007, 21:16
I'm presently looking into the ATPL groundschool but have been quite surprised at the wide range of prices. A lot of people have recommended Bristol Groundschool who charge £2100 for a distance learning course yet Cabair are only charging £2000 for a residential course. I was really shocked to find Oxford Aviation charging £4810.

Please could someone offer some insight into Cabair, is it value for money and quality instruction?
What sort of accomodation is available nearby, relating to quality and price?

wbryce
13th Jun 2007, 21:36
Hello,

If its Cabair Bournemouth at EPTA then I'm at the end of my first module with them and the instruction is fantastic, I can't rate the instructors highly enough! If the course is only £2000 then for me it would be a no brainer.

will

Blinkz
13th Jun 2007, 21:42
Unfortunately its very unlikely that anyone is going to have been to more then one groundschool provider so its going to be very hard to find an un-biased view.

If I were you, I'd decide if I wanted distance or residential. The ATPLs are a LOT of work, if you think that you can do it with little guidance at home and really want to save money then distance maybe the best option for you. Are you someone that likes to actually have lessons and be taught what is important? If so then residential is the way to go. Then visit the schools your interested it, see what the instructors are like and what the subject books are like and decide which you prefer!

I went to Oxford and cannot rate them more highly. Awesome instructors who really know there subjects, and have so much experience in their fields. The OAT books are also in my opinion the best around, really clear and concise with excellent diagrams. However like you say they aren't the cheapest!

Good luck whatever you decide! :ok:

S5-Vinc
14th Jun 2007, 07:06
Unfortunately I cannot help you with your question, but I would just ask you if you ever thought about going to Spain?
I am right now looking for a modular ATPL course there, haven't decided yet, probably Madrid. There suppose to be cheap accomodation, especially if you find a roommate so you can share the expenses.

I am also considering about ATPL in the UK, but there is more expensive I suppose.

Do you maybe know how well is it organised the distance learning at Bristol? I am a bit sceptic about distance learning because I believe you need a tutor to explain you a lot things-I don't know how this is done at distance learning course.

So if you decide to go to Spain, let me know. Maybe we can find out something together.

Regards,
Vince

Yahweh
14th Jun 2007, 11:41
"I was really shocked to find Oxford Aviation charging £4810"

Considering that as far as full-time groundschools go, Oxford must be one of the most expensive. How do they still manage to get applications for their groundschool when there are much cheaper alternatives? I'm not knocking the Oxford system which I have been told is excellent but they must do something extra special for that price?

Any Takers......

(Is it anything to do with the prestige of the college?)

jonnyboy102
14th Jun 2007, 11:58
Once you've done your training at Oxford you will always be able to part your hair to the side, pitch your nose to Vx and say "Well, I did my Ground at OXFORD" :D