PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!!

ROI1900D
13th Jun 2007, 18:41
Hi everyone,
While doing the ATPL course at Cranfield, they showed how to solve problems with Deviation, Variation, True, Magnetic, etc
I can't remember it well but it was something like this:

Can: compass
Dead: deviation
Man: magnetic
Vote: variation
Twice: true

Does anyone remember this rule???
Can't remember how does this work
Thanks

wbryce
13th Jun 2007, 18:54
The way I use is:

Cadburys Dairy Milk Very Tasty
Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True heading

Variation East Magnetic Least
Variation West Magnetic Best

Deviation East Compass least
Deviation West Compass Best.

So say for example you have the following information:

Variation - 10w
True Heading would equal 042.
Magnetic Heading - 052

And lets say you know the deviation for your compass is 3E (can normally get this information from your compass deviation card or its apart of the information given to you) then you can apply the above to get the following:

Deviation 3E
Compass heading - 049

ROI1900D
13th Jun 2007, 21:57
One last question:
Do I apply the same rule:
Variation East Magnetic Least
Variation West Magnetic Best

Deviation East Compass least
Deviation West Compass Best.

Going downwards and upwards?????
For example: from magnetic to compass heading

wbryce
14th Jun 2007, 17:20
Deviation concerns the compass/magnetic relationship.
Variation concerns the magnetic/true heading relationship.

if you apply the deviation east compass least then the compass heading will be a lower value than your magnetic (in other words, you subtract) and vice versa...

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Jun 2007, 08:42
WBryce,

Your first post is not correct. If you were given a magnetic heading of 032 and a magnetic variation of 10W your true heading would be 022.

Cadburys Dairy Milk Very Tasty works a treat and that is what I use. And to add to that, west is best and east is least also works, but it only works going one way, i.e. going from True to Magnetic to Compass.

The way to remember which was it applies, is think back to your PPL planning days. When you draw a line on your half mill chart you are plotting a true track. You then apply the foreceast wind and you end up with a true heading. What do you do next? You find the isoganol and apply the variation i.e. west of best east is least, this gives you your magnetic heading. You can then apply the deviation using the same process to get your compass heading.

Taking your example.

True Heading = 042

Variation = 10W (West is best, you add this to your true heading to get your magnetic heading)

Magnetic Heading = 052

Deviation = 3E (East is least, you subtract this from your magnetic heading)
Compass Heading = 049

If you draw a little table CDMVT (Cadburys Dairy.....etc) with columns and remember working from right to left is the conventional way you would work, i.e. PPL planning days. If you are working from left to right it is the reverse.

So lets say, using the above example you are given a compass heading of 049, deviation is 3E and variation is 10W, what would your true heading be?

CDMVT, but this time going from left to right, the reverse applies.

Compass Heading 049 and devaition 3E. Instead of subtracting (east is least) we add.

Magnetic Heading = 049 + 3 = 052

With 10W variation, again we are going from left to right you would subtract to get your true heading.

True heading = 052 - 10 = 042.

By doing a little table and remembering the sequence you can always do a gross error check going from right to left (once you have worked out the answers), if you are given the a compass heading first and asked to calculate a magnetic heading or a true heading.

Wow, alot of words there, hope its not confusing!

wbryce
15th Jun 2007, 18:09
CAT3C, well spotted! A case of not doing a dogs bollocks check over the numbers! :ouch:

ROI1900D
15th Jun 2007, 18:46
Thanks very much for your replies.
It helped me a lot.

knox
15th Jun 2007, 21:35
Here is one I use.

Can Ducks Make Vertical Turns??

Knox

ROI1900D
24th Jun 2007, 17:35
I have another one;
Is there any simple way to calculate ATOW, MTOW, MZFW, Ramp fuel, etc

Doing the Flight PLanning exam next sept.
Is there any rule of thumb for this calculation???
Thanks very much