PDA

View Full Version : Strange Firefox Error

Keef
13th Jun 2007, 16:00
Next door neighbour Julia called me this afternoon to say her Firefox was freezing the machine, but that the children's and the Administrator accounts were OK.

She'd left the machine logged on as "her" when she went out last weekend, and thinks the children got to it (their accounts are more restricted, as set up by me). The children are, of course, far more computer savvy than their mum and dad. What I can't work out is what they've done.

The symptoms are thus:
- Firefox starts with her two "Preset" tabs, as normal (eBay and Google).
- As soon as she types anything into either Firefox screen, the system locks up after the first character is typed if it's a consonant.
- If the character typed is a vowel, it comes out with an acute accent on it (αινσϊ) and doesn't lock the machine. A consonant brings an immediate freeze.
- If left for about ten minutes, it unlocks and works normally thereafter.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it might be?

[I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox on her account, but since it's also on all the others I suspect that didn't do a lot. It certainly didn't fix it. I'm reluctant to remove Firefox and do a total cleanout/reinstall because that will take a lot of faffing about with three very full sets of bookmarks and other settings.]

WALSue
13th Jun 2007, 16:35
Have you tried looking at her profile?
C:Documents and Settings/USERNAME/Application DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles

Tho I would imagine that would clear on a re-install(?)

Switch Proxy or User Agent Switcher can also cause problems if you use them