PDA

View Full Version : FAA to CAA Conversion for Class 1 Medical

tingtang
13th Jun 2007, 13:16
I recently failed my class 1 initial at Gatwick since I am short sighted and I was just outside the limits.
I was told that I could pass the class 1 renewal standards, and I would be assessed to these standards if I came back to CAA with an FAA CPL/ATP. I’m not sure exactly what was said and didn’t ask enough questions since I was pretty upset that they wouldn’t issue the class 1 even though my optician said I would be fine!
- Has anyone had experience with this and gone through this process?
- At what stage exactly would I go back to Gatwick to get the Class 1?
- Finally, is it true that the renewal standards have no limits?
Thanks for any help and sorry if I’m repeating questions but I haven’t found the answers so far.
Will

AlexEvans
23rd Jun 2007, 01:44
If you find out for sure that they judge on renewal limits if you have an FAA CPL then please let us know. There's a lot of people on here asking that question.

woltgreat
5th Feb 2009, 21:31
Hi guys, anybody got news about this?I have the same problem, but I currently hold a FAA CPL and an FAA Class 1.My myopia is out of the limits for the initial JAA, but is ok for the renewal...any chance for me of gaining a 1st JAA there at Gatwick?I appreciate!

woltgreat
6th Feb 2009, 03:16
Hi Flanker, it's the way things are here in EU, my friend...unfortunately for people like me!

Arturo Lan
6th Feb 2009, 14:38
Hi Flanker,

I agree, it makes no sense that there is a limit for initial and no limit for renewal.-

Just so you know, JAA is not the only one to put limits. Here in Mexico there is still a -3 limit, in Canada -3.5 and several other countries also still have this.
Many have changed this limit since ICAO changed their recommendation on this back in 2001, but not every one has adopted this change :(.

Best,
Arturo

woltgreat
6th Feb 2009, 22:48
Guys,nobody with any experience that could help me answer that question?

Al321
9th Feb 2009, 20:29
Woltgreat, check out this post from someone who was in similar position. It seems it can be done:

http://www.pprune.org/3983397-post451.html

Arturo, I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't have the -3.5 limit anymore.

youngskywalker
10th Feb 2009, 14:41
Yes it is true. Doc from the CAA told me that they were testing me on renewal limits. Failed CAA class one medical on eyesight (just outside the limit), tried again last last year with an FAA CPL/IR and FAA first class medical. Passed JAA class one easily. Job jobbed. :ok:

P.S it's also a little bit cheaper than an initial class one.

planecrazy.eu
11th Feb 2009, 18:45
Been a little thick here I bet, but where is the FFA C1 more lax than the CAA C1?

They both require 20/20 vision with/without correction? They seem to ask similar things unless i am missing something?

The only thing i can see, is max dioptre correction, is this whats more lax?

I have read people say they fail the CAA C1 and then pass the FAA one. Some say that they have in the limits correction, but didnt pass the eye test. What i dont understand, how is the FAA one easier to pass if dioptre correction is not the reason for CAA fail?

Arturo Lan
12th Feb 2009, 00:36
AI321,
I don`t know about Canada, I last saw that maybe like 5 or 6 months ago nd it was still limited to -3.5, if it changed since then I don`t know.
I also checked the Israel CAA had a -3.00 but when I wrote them to ask if I had an FAA class 1 if it would be a problem there and they siad that if I pass the FAA class 1 I would pass their Class 1 too.
Mexican CAA has not changed their regulations on medicals since like the 50s and it still is limited to -3.00.

Best,
Arturo

youngskywalker
12th Feb 2009, 13:11
FAA only require corrected vision and dont seem particularly bothered how bad your uncorrected vision is, the JAR class one require a minimum uncorrected standard for the initial and then you can drop to well below that level as long as it can be corrected.

Flyin'Dutch'
13th Feb 2009, 17:37
The reason that there is a limitation on the correction required is that with high myopes there is a higher risk of retinal detachment.

It is indeed possible to do the route FAA Class 1 + CPL/ATPL and then go for a JAR Class 1 and be OK if you meet the renewal requirements which are a few diopters more.

Why are they 'more lax' for renewal than the 'initial'?

The logic is that young people's refraction error can get greater, so for someone to be be just acceptable; then shell out £60k+ only to fail the renewal standard would be particularly hard.

The FAA just has one standard.

Different cultures different philosophies; you can argue what is just either way.

The above is how things stand at present and are no guarantee for what happens in the future or on your application.

<- any ad that appears in the box next to this post has nothing to do with me and is not an endorsement of any product or service by me.

woltgreat
17th Feb 2009, 16:54
Following the FAA Class 1 + CPL\ATPL and being within the renewal limits for a JAA Class 1, won't make me have a long-term deviation in UK?

If so, assuming the problem is my myopia, how will I remove the deviation?
Having a surgery?

Thx!:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Feb 2009, 00:42
AIUI as long as you are in renewal limits you will just get a normal medical.

If you are outside limits surgery will not help you to get within them as they use pre surgery correction as the cut off point. That is to stop people with otherwise healthy eyes to undergo surgery with the associated (small risks) to get within limits to pursuit a career in aviation.

<- any ad appearing next to this post has nothing to do with me and is not an endorsement or otherwise of any product or service.

woltgreat
18th Feb 2009, 02:28
Hi Flyin',
sorry if I ask you this, I'd like to know how much you're sure about these statements.
I am IN the renewal standards (-8.00 dioptres if it's this one...or if there are no limits, much better!:D), but I know that the doctors in Gatwick use to give the Class 1 with a long-term deviation if you hold an ICAO CPL and are outside the INITIAL limits, am I wrong?
As far as I know, after having had the long-term deviation the only way to have it canceled is to have a surgery, in order to be INTO the initial limits.

I am really hoping you know what you're talking about, it would be a great new for me!!:ok:
Thanks!

woltgreat
19th Feb 2009, 17:41
Nobody knowing more?:confused: