PDA

View Full Version : Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome / CFS

mustflywillfly
12th Jun 2007, 12:05
Dear All,

A good friend of mine has just passed selection for the CTC Wings programme. He is due to have his Class 1 initial in 3 weeks.

However, last year (March 2006), he suffered a very bad sore throat and swollen glands. He had glandular fever when he was 11 and proved positive (unusually) again at 16. After the sore throat last year he was wiped out for a good 7 months with Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (I believe the docotor wasn't particularly clear). He has been back at work full time now for 4 months but on Saturday came down with another very bad sore throat and swollen glands and has been signed off work again for a week and prescribed penicillin.

He holds a Class 2 medical (a medical conducted whilst off work last year with the fatigue syndrome) and is scared to death of being turned down for a Class 1 due to his history and current (seemingly re-current) sore throat.

Do any of you fine people have some advice for this chap with regards to the Class 1. I have tried pointing out to him that he may get struck down again during flying training which would be a major disaster.

He is 32 years old. And before you ask, it is NOT me, just a close friend who wants to remain annonymous.

Cheers

MFWF:ok:

Albert Driver
12th Jun 2007, 19:10
There's quite a severe form of tonsillitis going around at the moment. If he's got that it'll take some time to clear if the recent experiences of members of my family are anything to go by, but he'd probably be OK within the 3 weeks he's got.

No reason why it should trigger a recurrence of chronic fatigue (who knows what causes that - and here I'm assuming he's been properly checked out), or screw up the flying training if he gets his Class 1. But if it were me I'd be thinking of that old-fashioned remedy of serious rest for a week or two, given what's at stake.

If it's not quite clear by then, he'll have his first experience of making a command decision!

ladyflyby
12th Jun 2007, 19:59
I also had it in my teens and last year after unfortunately contracting mumps I was laid low with post viral fatigue for a good six months. I really hope it doesn't flare up when I start flying next month but who can tell. My doctor tells me that I am fighting fit and I haven't been called for a medical yet. I had to completely change my lifestyle - no more drink, no more cigarettes etc... I hope your friend gets better soon!

Loose rivets
13th Jun 2007, 05:30
Try increasing salt intake for a while.

RoyHudd
21st Jun 2007, 16:16
Would I be right in thinking that airline management are not helpful with those that are off with Chronic Fatigue? Because they do not wish to be sued?

I have a past experience with this problem, due to questionable long-haul rostering, and felt that my company wanted to wash their hands of me and my problem. It took a lot of effort to get back onto line, and now I see folks around me going off sick with fatigue.

What should one do when signed off with this problem? (Involve the union?)