PDA

View Full Version : Some advice from those in the know...

Dr.Biggles
12th Jun 2007, 10:21
Hi all,

I am almost ready to take the plunge and start my training at SFC (Stapleford).

But there are certain factors that I just need to clear up:

1) Medical
2) Aptitude Test
3) Maths & Physics
4) CPL and ME/IR or ME/IR and CPL

Ok, starting from the top.

1) Medical

How does the medical work, do i have to arrange the medical on my own before i start my training? or when i apply for my training, then they will send me on to have the medical?

2) Aptitude Test

Same applies here really, before i pay for the training will they give me a aptitude test to make sure i am a suitable candidate?

3) Maths & Physics

How involved ARE maths & physics into the training? Is it just basic level, or is there an advanced level that needs to be learnt?

4) CPL and ME/IR or ME/IR and CPL

What do people feel is the best order to do this in?

Many thanks!

redsnail
12th Jun 2007, 11:18
Medical.

You book and pay yourself. Best do this before any thing else because if you fail the medical then there's no point in going on until the issue's resolved, if it can be.

Aptitude test.

If you want one, you should organise it too. See GAPAN etc. Some schools do them, ask first.

Maths and Physics.

I crashed and burned them at school. It's basic.

CPL v IR

CPL then M/E IR is the best option but it may not be in the UK. My reasoning is to get all the VFR stuff out of the way before tackling the IR stuff. I don't know what the benefits are hours wise in the UK.
For some reason JAA land deems the IR (a rating) more important than the CPL (a license)...

G SXTY
13th Jun 2007, 11:12
Medical
The school won’t arrange this for you, you need to do it yourself. If you’re training with SFC then it’s the modular route, so you could start off with a class 2 medical, which will suffice for the PPL and hours building. The advantage is it’s quick and easy, and you could get it from the on-site AME. The disadvantage is that you’ll need a class 1 medical for the CPL in any case, so the class 2 would only be a stop-gap. As Reddo says, your best bet is to get the class 1 asap, and certainly before you commit serious funds to training. The initial can only be done by the CAA at Gatwick, and they’ll relieve you of several hundred pounds for the privilege.

Aptitude Test
Putting your cynical hat on for a moment, even if the school (any school) gives you an aptitude test – bearing in mind you are about to spend £20, 30, 40k with them – how likely are they to advise you of your unsuitability for flying training? Not a dig at SFC, it’s a very good school, but I would expect any training provider to tell me my career prospects were great, as long as I had two arms, two legs and a credit card. :hmm:
For an independent assessment of your prospects, check out the GAPAN website. I’m not sure what their aptitude testing sessions cost these days, but whatever it costs it’s money well spent. Loads of information on here, pm me if you need more detail.

Maths & Physics
I failed A-level maths, got a ‘C’ in physics. It’s no big deal, ATPL theory is at GCSE maths and physics level. I found the greater depth of A level physics came in useful with some subjects, but it’s by no means essential.
If you can manage time/distance problems, rearrange equations and work out reciprocal headings, you’ll be OK.

CPL and ME/IR or ME/IR and CPL
I haven’t done either yet so am not best qualified to answer, but the consensus is that the CPL is an easier step up from the PPL than the IR, and is itself good preparation for the IR. That’s one reason that most people do it this way (SFC included). Another reason is that jobwise, an IR isn’t much use on its own, whereas a CPL could be used to instruct without an IR. This would give you some flexibility if the job market or funds require you to delay your training.