PDA

View Full Version : Air Australia/Pilots Dispute, ABC 14/06

Valdiviano
12th Jun 2007, 09:33
ABC, Thursday 14/06 @ 20.35
May be of interest to some 1989 pilots

UnderneathTheRadar
12th Jun 2007, 10:40
This week is actually billed as being 'Ansett' by the ABC - don't get too excited too early now.....

UTR

squawk6969
12th Jun 2007, 10:53
yeah but when it comes up...PROON is going to get quite a punnishing I am sure. And I reckon a few folk banned.....seems that is not too hard to achieve anymore:ouch:

SQ

18-Wheeler
12th Jun 2007, 12:14
http://www.billzilla.org/forumpics/buckle up thread.gif

Capt Claret
12th Jun 2007, 12:40
Heard a promo for it on Aunty tonight. It was hearing "Pilots Strike" that caught my attention. :ouch:

apache
12th Jun 2007, 13:14
PAGING KAPTIN M... KAPTIN M, please tune in to ch2 on Thursday at 2035... that's KAPTIN M, thursday, channel 2!

ducks!

Buster Hyman
12th Jun 2007, 13:30
Storm in a tea cup if you ask me....:E:ouch::suspect:

Wiley
12th Jun 2007, 17:56
Well, they say history's always written by the victors.

Apart from the lucky s... ods who today find themselves still in a job in QanDom, I'm just not sure who that might be.

However, I think it's pretty safe to say the (we) "stay outs" won't like 99% of what goes to air on Saturday night as the 'truth' about those times.

Fantome
12th Jun 2007, 19:02
Air Australia doco is tabloid stuff. Aimed by producers for prime time. No serious analysis. Too silly for words if PPRuNers go mouth frothy. Public perception uncorrectable. Historians interested will rewrite and rewrite down the years. Truth will not out. (Even if all surviving participants tried now and every pariah recanted.)

RIP Bill Hobday et al.

Pappy Boyington
12th Jun 2007, 23:03
Perhaps the public perception may be closer to the truth! From my distant perspective, no ONE SIDE was to blame, you were all as pig headed and self centred as one another!

Let it go...:rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
12th Jun 2007, 23:32
Except pappy that if the ideals, resolve and solidarity of most pilots in 1989 was present today, we wouldn't be in the current pay/conditions dive.

Just remember, whatever your thoughts on 89, it was the valiant efforts of AFAP members both before and during the dispute that set the pay levels that we are now dropping away from. We owe a lot to the AFAP and it's members up and until the dispute for setting the benchmark.

Mr. Hat
13th Jun 2007, 01:37
Interesting timing with an election coming up...

Buster Hyman
13th Jun 2007, 02:36
I doubt that a significant number of the proles would be interested in this show, or its contents, to have any affect on the election. The only interest they have in aviation is when the word Sale is included in the sentence.:hmm:

2p!ssed2drive
13th Jun 2007, 02:55
http://www.emotihost.com/eating1/1.gif

sixtiesrelic
13th Jun 2007, 05:35
They'll just pull old footage of the truth as seen by the media back then.
The winners USED to write history... been written by 'know it all" journalists with famous names for years now!

amos2
13th Jun 2007, 08:41
So, this 89' dispute that has been mentioned.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

KRUSTY 34
13th Jun 2007, 09:37
Now Now, amos.

Fantome
13th Jun 2007, 09:53
I think, Buster, that the "proles" are much in the minority when it comes to ABC viewers. (Think last week's "Chasers". In what month of the year did 9/11 occur?)

Buster Hyman
13th Jun 2007, 11:32
Amos...are you off your medication again???:=

Fantome...I guess I'm in the minority then coz I've never watched the chasers & after glancing at Today Tonight's "expose'"...I'm glad I don't bother with either of them!:yuk:

Sid Departure
13th Jun 2007, 12:01
OK I'm assuming by the first post on this thread that this programme is about the pilot's dispute of 1989.
It seems when ever this topic is mentioned, the Mod's suddenly sit up in their chairs and people brace themselves for a lively debate about who was right and who was wrong.
Well, let's put aside the above and see what this programme offers.

theheadmaster
13th Jun 2007, 12:14
If you watch 'Today Tonight', then yes you do qualify as a 'prole'. That and 'A Current Affair' are trash journalism for the the mindless masses.

Had you watched 'The Chaser' tonight you would have seen them take the piss out of channel seven and 'Today Tonight' in a way that had me in stitches! Yes, some of their stuff can fall a little flat, but some of it is very sharp!

PPRuNe Towers
13th Jun 2007, 12:22
Absolutely spot on SID.

Although we could save time and bar Amos now:}:}

Regards
Rob

Buster Hyman
13th Jun 2007, 14:03
A glance was the absolute most I put into those magazine trash "current affairs" programs...Chaser is just contrived trash IMHO.

amos2
14th Jun 2007, 11:21
Ah! yes...those Douglas 727s...great airplanes!

Capt Claret
14th Jun 2007, 11:29
Almost as good as the Boeing DC9, hey Amos.

Buster Hyman
14th Jun 2007, 11:36
Well, that was all nice & glossy wasn't it? Didn't get to carried away with facts did it.

Never mind the aircraft chaps, they even got ANA & TAA's name wrong!:rolleyes:

Quote of the night had to be..."..I have to leave my cat & my dog..."

Desert Dingo
14th Jun 2007, 12:16
..... and the Viscount flying past with piston engine noises.
:ugh:

SOPS
14th Jun 2007, 13:45
tell me its not true...they did not dub a Vicount with prop noise....please say its a wind up:confused:

alidad
14th Jun 2007, 13:54
two comments:

1. Lawrie Cox DID have hair once upon a time; and

2. The silver bodgie quote regarding Abeles- "he really was a very special person......". Give us a tear Bob.:{

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Jun 2007, 14:03
I'm with you 'Dingo'.......
Sorry 'Sop',
Almost like a couple of 'Hollywood' productions....."Flying High" comes immediately to mind.

I didn't tape it, but I was trying to work out if the sound was that of 4 engines or twin P&W's........:confused:

Some 'interesting' footage, will bring back some terrible memories for some,
and, Hawke didn't cry......this time. But lots of good folk did. :sad:

Best to all.:ok:

Douglas Mcdonnell
14th Jun 2007, 14:35
I found this episode hard to watch. They all got to stay in Australia with their families. Lucky chaps.

DM

Binoculars
14th Jun 2007, 14:58
Ohh, what sweet serendipity. My first visit to this forum for a long time and I chance upon a thread about 89. I confess I was busy watching my only TV vice, Law and Order, and didn't know the show in question was on.

But I'm sure nothing has changed, and it's good to see Amos is still alive, I suppose. What about dear old Tool Time, Amos? How is the old bugger? Still as bitter as ever and on a permanent diet of Quick-Eze and Prozac?

Oddly enough, the pilots I still associate with are all under 40, doing their command training, and don't seem to give a **** as to history repeating itself. They only seem concerned about how to pay off their mortgage. I can only shake my head at their selfishness. This sort of attitude never used to prevail.

Oddly enough, the GA owners I speak to also seem concerned that they can't get enough pilots to satisfy demand. Bloody hell, whatever happened to the good old days?

Time certainly does have a way of flattening hills, and while I'm now out of the loop completely, however peripherally I may have been in it, the "maintain the rage" campaign of 1989 seems to be doomed to the same level of success as its political predecessor of 1975. I'm sure all airline pilots had a lot of sympathy for that one.

Looks like those bloody pinkos might be getting in again too, against all reason and logic. Bloody hell, the world's falling to pieces I tell you.

Fantome
14th Jun 2007, 19:04
Two quotes at random-

McMahon: "And we had pilots who didn't fly".

Dorward: "There were unfortunately pilots who couldn't handle the situation and ended their lives."

Program ended with long credit list, too fast to read. As posted before, a tabloid job. Still, not without some value to anyone of the caliber of Nicholas Blain (industrial relations authority and author), settling down to research and write a definitive analysis. Incidentally, John Gunn, the most knowledgeable of all Qantas (and air transport generally) historians, gave them something like five hours of his time. Thirty seconds was about all they used.

Fris B. Fairing
14th Jun 2007, 23:24
and the Viscount flying past with piston engine noises.
At least it sounded like a Merlin or multiples thereof.
Douglas 727
Said it all really. Let the worth of the program stand on this dismal piece of research and basic lack of understanding.

lowerlobe
15th Jun 2007, 01:28
It's probably fair to say that Reg Ansett is spinning in his grave not only because of what happened to Ansett but about the accuracy in this doco as well...

WilliamOK
15th Jun 2007, 01:37
I'm sort of suprised as to why Virgin Blue wasn't mentioned in the end part about the demise of Ansett.....

tinpis
15th Jun 2007, 01:39
McMahon: "And we had pilots who didn't fly".
Funny enough I can recall at least one professional "reserve blockers" he re-hired...:hmm:

Buster Hyman
15th Jun 2007, 02:43
He wouldn't have been talking about the FE's would he?:confused: The company & especially Abeles played a BIG part in that little gem!!!

Flight Detent
15th Jun 2007, 02:56
meaning...?

amos2
15th Jun 2007, 08:32
Unfortunately for you B...you're yesterdays man!

Pinky the pilot
15th Jun 2007, 11:26
At least it sounded like a Merlin or multiples thereof.

Fris B. Fairing; That's what I thought as well. And the Douglas 727s?????

Tabloid Journalism!! (Infotainment):yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

criticalmass
15th Jun 2007, 11:33
I caught part of it and was dismayed to hear of the Douglas 727. "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" is the journalist's credo, and we saw it in spades on that program.

I was going to buy it when it is released on DVD. Shan't bother now.

tinpis
15th Jun 2007, 11:47
I doubt anyone watched it anyway.