PDA

View Full Version : SR-72

ORAC
11th Jun 2007, 22:40
DefenseNews: An SR-72? Lockheed Martin’s New Mach-6 Spy Plane (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2824311&C=america)

Ten years after the U.S. Air Force retired the SR-71 spy plane, Lockheed Martin’s legendary Skunk Works appears back at work developing a new Mach-6 reconnaissance plane, sources said.

The Air Force has awarded Lockheed’s Advanced Development Projects arm a top-secret contract to develop a stealthy 4,000-mph plane capable of flying to altitudes of about 100,000 feet, with transcontinental range. The plan is to debut the craft around 2020.

The new jet — being referred to by some as the SR-72 — is likely to be unmanned and, while intended for reconnaissance, it could eventually trade its sensors for weapons.

The Air Force is working on several programs to improve its global intelligence-gathering. Satellites offer global coverage, but the ones with the highest resolution operate on largely predictable orbits, and many countries have mastered the art of hiding from them. Moreover, China’s successful anti-satellite missile test in January hinted that U.S. satellites might become vulnerable.

The new aircraft would offer a combination of speed, altitude and stealth that could make it virtually impervious to ground-based missiles, sources said. Even the SR-71 is said to have evaded hundreds of missiles fired at it during its long career, although some aircraft sustained minor damage. But experts say enormous challenges remain. First, the SR-71’s top speed was about 2,200 mph. Pushing a plane at twice the speed in the thin air of the upper stratosphere would require exceptionally powerful engines. Second, friction at high speeds could reduce stealth.

“An aircraft with these characteristics could prove a potent response to anti-satellite weapons,” said Loren Thompson of the Lexington Institute. “If U.S. reconnaissance satellites were lost, an SR-72 could get to areas of interest quickly and provide persistent surveillance in place of the satellite.”

And don’t bother asking the Air Force or Skunk Works execs about their work. Neither is commenting and Skunk Works is skipping next week’s Paris Air Show.

“As a matter of policy, we don’t talk about classified programs — whether or not they exist,” said Lockheed’s Tom Jurkowsky. •

AQAfive
11th Jun 2007, 23:21
When the USAF has a very useful ac in the shape of the SR71, it doesn't get rid of it until it has a replacement. The U2 and SR71 used to complement each other despite the latter being intended as a replacement for the former, initially. So why terminate the SR71, unless, of course, there is a replacement!! (I always considered the attempt to bring 3, later reduced to 2, SR71 back into service in 1995 an acknowledgement that the replacement was late or had a problem and was grounded, only for whatever the problem was to be solved sometime in 1997 finally killing the SR71 programmel)

Officially it was the Cost and lots of Pentagon in house wrangling, if memoirs are to be believed, however, cost alone has never stopped the US before.

If rumors are to be believed the replacement, given the name Aurora by some, is plying the skys at this moment and as it will be a properly secret project, they wont have told the press, not even the Guardian.

So maybe 2020 will be the date when the USAF reveals the Aurora, which, incidentally, had been flying since 1997, or thereabouts.:E

L J R
12th Jun 2007, 03:40
Why did the X-45 get chopped?....'cos it went Black! Maybe that is your SR-72.

just another jocky
12th Jun 2007, 12:37
Urban legend or not I don't know, but I remember a story floating around a few years back. Remember the National Aerospaceplane, weird looking hypersonic passenger a/c? Well it was cancelled amid a glare of publicity because of the billions that had been invested in it wasted when it was shut down. A Senate Defence Committee were supposed to be investigating but were taken into a classified briefing and when they came out, they stopped investigating. Legend is that the funds were a cover for the SR71 replacement.

No idea if there is an iota of truth in it but it's an amusing story that fuels the conspiracy theorists...;)

hoodie
12th Jun 2007, 12:42
Remember the AvLeak article on "Blackstar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstar_%28spaceplane%29)" last year?

ORAC
12th Jun 2007, 18:26
StrategyPage: (http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/6-43893.aspx) SR-72?
Posted by Bill Sweetman at 6/11/2007 2:31 PM

Our competitors Defense News report that the Air Force has handed Lockheed's Skunk Works a contract to develop "a stealthy 4,000-mph plane capable of flying to altitudes of about 100,000 feet, with transcontinental range." The rest of the story is subscription-only.

If this sounds to you a lot like the "Aurora" stories of the early 1990s, you're right. However, early last year I had a conversation with a senior Skunk in which he talked about the company's proposal for a new high-speed, high-altitude X-plane.

The X-plane would be the size of a fighter and would be designed for a speed of Mach 6.5 -- 4300 mph -- at 100,000 feet. (The SR-71 Blackbird, retired in 1990, could manage up to Mach 3.3 in sprints at 85,000 feet). It would be powered by two jet engines -- bigger versions of the engine used on the Skunk Works' RATTLRS (Revolutionary Approach To Time-critical Long Range Strike) cruise missile -- integrated into ramjets.

Double Zero
12th Jun 2007, 23:37
Anyone in the military Flt Test field ( Brit let alone U.S. ) will know 'something has being going on' for a lot longer than the 1990's.

I've heard corroborating stories from serving Test Pilots & ex- military U.S. aircrew. I think it will prove that there's more than one black project, both the replacement SR-71 job and a replacement F-117 - as mentioned, why retire such a thing unless you've got something better ...

The rest we han only guess at, but I was thinking of Scott Crossfield's desciption of hypersonic flight in the X-15 - " the floor was smoking, everthing was hot to touch, let's say Test Pilot's aren't supposed to be afraid, but I was ...impressed !"

For any rumour junkies out there there was a far better one going on in military circles about the S.D.I. 'Star Wars' system - remember a certain speech by Ron.Reagan about 'something which would unite the countries of the world' ?

I've always been surprised that was not followed up further - from what I alone heard it was the real deal.

-mayble I'll get a ride in an Omega shortly ( my boss in a crap job had one, I thought it rubbish. ) Bye !

XV277
13th Jun 2007, 10:00
Anyone in the military Flt Test field ( Brit let alone U.S. ) will know 'something has being going on' for a lot longer than the 1990's.

I've heard corroborating stories from serving Test Pilots & ex- military U.S. aircrew. I think it will prove that there's more than one black project, both the replacement SR-71 job and a replacement F-117 - as mentioned, why retire such a thing unless you've got something better ...

There was aUSAF pilot/test pilot who retired a year or so back who was stated to have flown a number of classified programs, some of which remain classified. So no doubt the Septics have mucho secreto hiding in the desert.

scudpilot
13th Jun 2007, 11:02
Totally agree, I have long beleived that the Aurora or something similar exists, and this is probably the start of the "managed" admission that the Aurora is real...:D

cornish-stormrider
13th Jun 2007, 17:41
Black Omega outside

I didn't see nuffink squire

Green Flash
13th Jun 2007, 17:44
Talking about 'black' replacements, shouldn't that be a Black Vectra these days?:}

BikerMark
15th Jun 2007, 14:39
Surely you mean "Vectra of colour"?;)

chevvron
16th Jun 2007, 11:34
There's already been an SR72 (Saunders Roe that is)